Push 2 vs. Elektron gear

Don`t forget the Micro or since Ableton is based in Berlin… Mikro.

• 3 functions per knob.
  • Less pads with no velocity.

Push Micro /Mikro MKII will have velocity and more colores.

Yeah.
If Live is the master (which works best sync wise) no midi will come through correctly if Live is not running.
In other words if Live is the host, and the play head is stopped, if you play notes from an external keyboard through live to external hardware, the notes get clipped.
Basically it sounds like it’s not working.
If the play head is running, it works.
For some this is a non issue, but if you wanna play external gear freestyle before you start Lives clock, it doesn’t work.
If you slave Live, the sync is awful.
Maybe this has been fixed in 9.5, not sure.

I haven’t given Overbridge a full test with the trinity to really discover the potential.
It appears that slaving the OT to the other boxes and having those clocked via Overbridge is the solution.
However, I get caught up in CPU issues and latency increases to the point where Overbridge seems like a high latency recording option, but far from a performance solution.

Personally I’m ok with that, I don’t wanna use Overbridge live, nevertheless it’s been tricky.
Seems Dataline has been doing this in some vids, so I’m sure it can be dialed in, but I’m on a late 2011 Mac laptop, and it acts like it doesn’t want to do all of that.

At this point I don’t feel compelled to buy a new laptop just to fiddle with a bunch of stuff that struggles to work.

For the record, I know I’ve come off very anti laptop in this thread.
I do animation and vfx in the computer for my job.
I’ve been using Ableton Live since version 3.
I love computers, some things they do great, but many other things they just emulate poorly.

I’m really considering going with push 2, AR, MD, and the op-1. I feel the OT is the odd man out. I’ll probably sell my OT and invest in the ERM multi clock.

Live’s sequencer is pretty good from Push, its an odd one in that some elements are really powerful (e.g. its polyphonic, automation is easy, great display), but not as flexible as some others. (e.g. cant change direction, per step probability/muting etc) … the strengths and limitations come from its a view on a normal clip… (so you can record live some midi, then edit it in the sequencer)

if you want a more traditional sequencer then there are quite a few VSTs, or Max 4 Live (if you have Ableton Live Suite) devices… but you may find Live’s does what you want.

If you have a Mac, and you want ‘deep sequencing possibilities’ then look at Numerology 4 (five12.net) and use a Push 1 (or even a Launchpad … as no Push2 support yet), this is the most elaborate sequencer out there, going from simple sequencer to generative music.
(it pretty simple to use too)
note: getting ‘sync’ correct from computer to hardware can take a bit of patience with setup, and some struggle to ever get this to an ‘acceptable’ level.

@JuanSolo, external midi with Live as master clock, I often have midi (to both my Virus and Spectralis) going out without the transport running. perhaps a ‘feature’ of the device your sending too, not accepting when transport is stopped? or perhaps your doing something different?

I was in exactly the same situation… :wink:

To begin with … IMHO the OT is a very reliable and tight midi master.

I got Push and Ableton Suite (this includes Max and many useful midi-tools) to overcome the OT limitations. I took some extensive long time for testing sessions with the demo of Ableton 9, before I payed for it. After some hours of continuously midi-ing my equipment, I was convinced that Ableton provides enough reliability for the tasks to come. It never crashed or lost timing.

Ableton also supports the use of one or more midi master keyboards/controllers connected as inputs and can distribute midi by track parameters to many midi-ports and midi-channels - like a midi-matrix. The setup for this is quite straight forward.

But in the end I got a MPC too. Why? I like to switch a device on and beeing ready to record midi and audio in seconds and on the fly. I had so many situations in the past that a computer needed too much time to be ready that I wanted a faster process.

What setup I use, depends on what I do. Often I make music with instruments, jamming with myself, allowing for ideas to flow in and out and suddenly there is something that I want to save for later use. Now a fast switching to recording mode is essential and I do this with my MPC. If I settle down for a specific project and this will be done with a DAW anyway, I switch on the computer before I start with the session and launch Ableton with Push.

has anyone seen (or used) the elektron/overbridge plugins with push 2. that’s what i’m curious about.

…i’ll be able to test soon enough.

Yes

Yes [/quote]
more to say? link… haven’t been able to turn much up.

im considering selling my monomachine. i use Live and an AK/AR combo with OB way more than i use the mnm. in fact, its been weeks since i turned it on. so yeah. anyone want to buy a mnm?

Yes [/quote]
more to say? link… haven’t been able to turn much up. [/quote]
Sorry, got an emergency call before my post was ready.
I will give it a test on the weekend ( no time today ).
Do you have a specific question / thing that i can / should check?
Iwill try to answer asap. I got some infos on push 2 in the other thread
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/push-2-live-9-5/15605page:2

Push one and third-party plug-ins didn’t integrate so welL. Sequencing anything past "notes "was too tedious to make it worth while.

The main question I have is what is the integration of Overbridge and pushed to look like. Push to make some big, sort of ambiguous claims about how it will engage with third-party plug-ins.

My push will be here Friday so you and I will be testing the same time. :slight_smile:

Seems like elektron has a good report with ableton, at least considering their OB plugin development. Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll work in some deeper compatability /functionality

Dang, after watching more Push 2 demos, and downloading 9.5 and playing with the new simpler features, I feel taken back to the days when I was anxiously awaiting on new Ableton stuff.

It’s pretty fuckin dope.
I’m such a sucker for good demos.

Once I read that the new Ableton Link system can be used without actually using Ableton, I was tempted to start bugging Elektron to create some killer master sequencer with Link built in, which maybe isn’t totally unreasonable for future products.

Hi,
i really enjoyed this performance

I would like to capture my jam like this.
Are there any resources on this topic e.g. jam capture / video equipment?

I thought about selling the OT for Push 2 for a split second. Then I sat down with Live 9.5 and Push 1 and really couldn’t think of a reason to get rid of my OT. Push 1 works fine for what I need to do (start songs, loop guitar live, take a break from hardware setup). So it keeps me happy that I have the
OT/OP-1/MPC1000 combo for hardware and Push 1/Live 9.5 for software. Best of both worlds. Push 2 or 3 will probably make its way into my rig one day but I can’t keep jumping every time one of these companies comes up with something new. I’ve fallen victim to Ableton’s very effective advertising before. There is something about the way they present their products- the pictures, layouts, graphics-that makes me feel like an accomplished, pro musician just by having it. Like I belong to this special club. I know that’s ridiculous but that’s the power of good marketing and I’m just being honest. Anyhow, not this time. Willpower.

I was mostly curious about the workflow of programming Ableton’s Analog and Operator synths from the Push 2 interface, and how that compares to an Elektron workflow.

This video tells me that it is kind of Elektron-ish, really.

You have a basic menu system for parameter pages. Having to page to the right and left in order to select parameter groups within the synth device is similar to Monomachine’s EDIT button. Once you get there, you have access to 8 parameters per page (again, like Monomachine).

Aside from that, the sequencer gives speedy access to step automation (p-locks), and nudge (micro-timing). Drum Racks provide for “Performance” style macros. While they may require grabbing the mouse to setup, seeing as how Elektron’s A4/AR Performance assignments are more easily made by mouse in Overbridge, I view neither as having an advantage here.

My plan is to swap my Monomachine out for Push 2. Push 2 running Analog + Operator + FX plays in mind like a Monomachine Mk3 (hooray micro-timing and polyrhythms!) w/ Overbridge.
It appears that it would sit comfortably between Rytm and A4 in a hybrid Elektron Analog / DAW configuration.
On top of that, it gives me the few Octatrack style functions I would actually use without having to spring for an Octatrack.

Now my curiosity is aimed at the Push 2 workflow with 3rd party synths like NI Monark, TAL-101, Discovery Pro. These are all wonderful software emulations that only further benefit from a mouse free, intuitive interface such as Push 2.

100% agree! I had the same thought and was like, wait a minute? Last week I wanted a Novation Circuit, this week I want a Push 2. All the while I’m sitting on a OT, AR and A4 plus some other Volcas and Airas.

It’s nice waking up in the morning and being pleasantly surprised by new shiny gear. The reality is, there will alway be new shiny gear to replace the new shiny gear currently in your studio.

Maybe one day I’ll swoop this, but in the meantime - #OTPORVIDA!

FWIW, with touchable + expansion pack on iPad you have the same or similar graphical interface for Operator/Analog and more standard devices and effects as on the Live screen.

FWIW, with touchable + expansion pack on iPad you have the same or similar graphical interface for Operator/Analog and more standard devices and effects as on the Live screen.[/quote]
Thanks. I have touchable and I just never got on with it, or any iPad music/control app, for that matter. It is just not tactile enough.