Push 2 vs. Elektron gear

FWIW, with touchable + expansion pack on iPad you have the same or similar graphical interface for Operator/Analog and more standard devices and effects as on the Live screen.[/quote]
Yeah, but there’s still no way to perform step automation with Touchable, is there? That’s one of the big things that’s appealing to me about Push, coming from an Elektron perspective. I’ve got Touchable, but haven’t found a way to do this if it exists.

I’ll just leave this here!!!
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/11/ableton-push-2-meets-modular-heres-how-it-works/#more-39935

1 Like

my feelings exactly. not tactile enough.

In the video it’s said you have an access to the banks of parameters for the plugins. Do you know if it’s possible to map more then 8 parameters of let say Reaktor 6 modular synth running as a plugin?

In the video it’s said you have an access to the banks of parameters for the plugins. Do you know if it’s possible to map more then 8 parameters of let say Reaktor 6 modular synth running as a plugin?[/quote]
Hi,
yes you can map up to 128 parameters (16 Banks x 8). The NI plugs work best with Push 2 - e.g. in MONARK (Reaktor) all presets are scrollable with Push ( first load the plug-in)…

+1 for the new Simpler! this is like “revolutionary” :slight_smile:
You could allready play the clips chromatically, but warping/chopping on Push 2 is soo easy and on the fly, that it definetly beats the OT.
And the Timestretching-Algorhythms sound way better!

well, there´s the scene morphing, which can be achieved by doing macros.

And someone mentioned the record-buffers…if you own a decent soundcard, and you should, there´s unlimited record-buffers with unlimited recording-time in ableton and way more inputs (depending on soundcard)!

you´ll have to do some preparations, but this goes for the OT too…
as i don´t trust the OT much on-stage and use it in the studio primarely, i can live with the laptop/push 2 solution for the studio…

still have to check on the sequenzer-possibilities (P-locks) of Push 2 though…
so, no need for selling the OT in a rush, compare the workflow for a while and then u decide!

serious competition…

Totally agree on all this. It’s like ‘oh, look what Ableton put together whilst elektron were gazing out the window at overbridge…’. OT could still compete with some basic OS tweaks but as it stands it’s certainly showing its age now. Going to keep mine for shows cos I hate using a computer on stage but for studio I think push 2 will slowly take over. But we’ll see. Just gotta save up the money to buy one now…

Absolutely :+1:

I got my Push 2 yesterday and had some time to get acquainted. It’s feels like a well done combination of MPC/OT features with significant improvements compared to my Push 1. But IMO the most important improvements emanate from the new version of Ableton Live 9.5.

That simpler with it’s operational modes is great and the display and the pots on Push are a dream to work with. And there is more. Beat creation is more efficient and fluid now, at least if you have a plan, where to go … :wink:

But will it replace my OT? No.

For me it’s not about features and functions, or Push vs. OT. For me it’s about having a hardware-only setup with the Elekron character. That was, why I got this stuff in the first place. Having a compter based environment too - and best of all - combine it with my OT/AR/AK setup, gives my all the options of both worlds.

Its pretty straight forward and an easy process to configure or “map out” your controls with 3rd party synths. I was able to map out 8 pages of controls in 2 minutes with NI Massive. The biggest challenge is how do you want to map it out.
Essentially push could be like the MnM and OT wrapped up into one with the caveat of not being able to have direct access two tracks or two machines simultaneously. Even if it take a second to jump from one track to the next you lose that instant hands on factor that you get with the Elektron boxes.

In the video it’s said you have an access to the banks of parameters for the plugins. Do you know if it’s possible to map more then 8 parameters of let say Reaktor 6 modular synth running as a plugin?[/quote]
Hi,
yes you can map up to 128 parameters (16 Banks x 8). The NI plugs work best with Push 2 - e.g. in MONARK (Reaktor) all presets are scrollable with Push ( first load the plug-in)…[/quote]
so when you load say, monarch, Live automatically maps its parameters and these parameters are all accessible by using the ‘page’ button on Push? am i understanding this correctly? or do the parameters need to be manually mapped?

edit: i just saw the previous post, got it now!

Hi,
yes you can map up to 128 parameters (16 Banks x 8). The NI plugs work best with Push 2 - e.g. in MONARK (Reaktor) all presets are scrollable with Push ( first load the plug-in)…[/quote]
so when you load say, monarch, Live automatically maps its parameters and these parameters are all accessible by using the ‘page’ button on Push? am i understanding this correctly? or do the parameters need to be manually mapped?

edit: i just saw the previous post, got it now![/quote]
Hi, yes you need to map them once or autopopulate them by option.txt https://www.ableton.com/de/help/article/optionstxt-file-live/

Rather than Push vs. Elektron, I’m curious about Push and Elektron.

Having no familiarity with Live or Push or anything beyond the simplest of setups, I’m curious to know if this synergy is possible: 1) play the Analog Four with Push, recording it to Push’s sequencer (along with smooth automations, like filter sweeps) or step sequencer; 2) those recorded notes and automations will appear on the Push’s pads; and 3) can be edited, much like on the Elektron’s trigs.

Thanks.

Yeah you can do all that.
Playing with aftertouch and modulation parameters with Pushs pads was fun last night :slight_smile:
You can do it all with Overbridge, but Im looking forward to the update that will hopefully address a few things.

Wow, that seems (wonderfully) nuts! Is it? I haven’t the experience to know if Push’s ability to do all that with another instrument is something singular. For example, would Maschine have the same interplay ability?

Thanks so much for confirming it. I look forward to setting that up should I go for a Push.

I dont have any experience with Maschine.

But its interesting, i wind up using both sequencers. Its really quick to lay stuff out on Push, but you arent limited by 64 steps. Obviously its infinite sequencing from Push. But I had some interesting stuff going on doing parameter locks on the elektron sequencer with Lives sequencer running in tandem. I cant confirm but from memory the lock seemed to happen when i did it relation to the daw (not per page as on the a4 or whatever). But yeah need to play with it more. The OB boxes and Live make a damn fine combo, after all, this is the intention.

Push 2 also makes a great trigger device / keyboard for A4’s multi-map.

It’s great on it’s own as well. Having used Push 2 for a few days now, I’m finding it remarkable how synths like Monark and Discovery can now live in this hardware-ish workflow the way Elektron instruments do.

I’ve taken time to design custom maps of these synths that put their common parameters in the exact on the exact same respective pages/positions. After just a couple days since doing that I am beginning to get the muscle memory I had with my old Monomachine.

This is wonderful!
Between the holiday weekend sales on Monark, Discovery, and Push 2 (@ InterstateMusic.com), for $724 you can inject convincing Minimoog Model D and Nord Lead 2x emulations, both with Elektron style sequencing, right between your Overbridge Analogs.

There’s never been a better time to be an electronic music producer.

I intend to do that as well with my setup, so that Push will have the same control immediacy of standalone instruments.

I look forward to using Monark with it too. In fact, Jean Michel Jarre prefers it to the Voyager.

I’m really curious about the new monosyth they added, Bass. The samples on the product page sound really spectacular. Seems to cover a similar spectrum of sounds as Monark.

It’s decent. More Minibrute than Minimoog, so no OSC detuning.
Not nearly as good as Monark for leads and FX, but as it is named, solid for bass, and not as hard on the CPU as Monark.

Do you think Monark does bass better as well?

Do you think Monark does bass better as well?[/quote]
Yes. It just sounds so damn good for software.
It has a weight to it that only Diva can stack up to on the software end.
And with Push 2, it feels less like software as well.