PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Yikes. I have an old house with really old cobbled together wiring in some places. Already makes me nervous enough without being a human patch cable. :smiley:

3 Likes

After watching Vlad’s Sonicstate demo, I couldn’t help but wonder if there’s any quantisation features? Probably a stupid question. I get the feeling it’s not within his remit lol

i’m also curious about that…

but when i think about the pulsar as a complementing machine to a tight hardware setup, quantisation loses it’s importance a bit, no?

could get really fancy when the techno system drives the beat and the pulsar plays the swingy tops on it.

but yeah, as a standalone Unit, some sort of quantisation would be cool. but when i think of the lyra-8 in terms of quantisation, i wouldn’t put any bets on it :slight_smile:

To me quantisation is essential. Of course by patching and modding things may be shifted and warped but the triggers should be fully quantisable IMO. Otherwise it just becomes a great mess.

Insane that you can use your body as a conductor/patch cable!

1 Like

yea im a li’l gutted about no quantization I can’t deny.

My guitars have no quantisation. I think the pulsar is something you build a setup around based on what you can do with it. For experimental types of music I think it’s really interesting. But you can sequence it anyway through midi, right?

4 Likes

From the website:

– 4 independent loop recorders with the option for individual clocking. They record triggering events, not audio.
– Clock generator with an array of dividers as a very powerful tool for rhythm synthesis.

“Also, it has MIDI control and synchronization…”

Not sure if that means it can be play tightly though. Maybe with some help from an Elektron machine…

@Francis well, this is a drum machine so…

1 Like

This is my vibe as well. Seems to me any midi clock would keep it order. Beatstep comes to mind first. Soma stuff is all about being outside, the Lyra has no tuning. Go with flow. Tonnes of quantized stuff out there.

2 Likes

Fretless guitar?

3 Likes

I’d call that calibration…
Anyhoo as a drum machine it should be able to sync nice to a setup, slaved to OT clock or something. But if you want straight 1/8 hats you might be better with something else much much cheaper!

Guitar can be fretless. Violin is fretless, cello etc. I see this instrument in that spirit. Live time learning and build quality :slightly_smiling_face: not something that is in trend today.

1 Like

lookin forward to the live unveiling demo today, whenever it surfaces :+1:t3:

1 Like

I already have an idea of what it might be… But more demos are always entertaining :slightly_smiling_face:
About quantisation, if its triggered by touching it, it probably can be triggered with cv trigges? That would solve that issue for some people.

I hope they get someone else to demo it soon, vlad can’t play it for sh1t :smile:

One of the bits of footage they released about 6 months ago was amazing, the rest have not done it justice.

3 Likes

He is brilliant instrument maker, enough for one lifetime! If you have link to that demo, i would love to hear it :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah we’ve already seen plenty of the chaotic side of it and they say it can do the more common styles as well so I really hope it’s possible to sync it up tightly. Then from there one can explore into wild, warped and glitchy stuff. That’s what I wanna do but I wanna be able to play it with my Digitone. With a drum machine of this extreme complexity it really should be easy to have the triggers sync tightly and you can always turn it off. Just like you can turn off the quantize grid on Elektron machines.

I think I may ask them about this. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

oh man, that´s one crazy box. gotta save up i guess…

4 Likes

“so… there’s… all sorts of possibilities then” :joy:

4 Likes

I just emailed Vlad there re: any possibility of adding optional quantization to the loopers.

[Edit: I just got a reply from one of his colleagues who said they’ll put in a good word as it’s something they’d like to see too, though they cant promise anything. I get the feeling Vlad isn’t a fan of quantization so it might be a hard sell.]

2 Likes

“…Oh My God and What The Fuck points…”

Bananas.

2 Likes