PULSAR-23 by SOMA

hopefully it’s somewhere around an Op1 now :smiley: although cheaper is always a good thing! I hope it’s not this price https://www.schneidersladen.de/de/soma-pulsar-23.html?___SID=U

F**k this would be definitely out of reach

4 Likes

:star_struck:

1 Like

wow. thought it would sound way more experimental, but this is just really really awesome.

dang.

and another transaction seems to be going down the Hardware hole in the next time.

I think because nothing is patched it is ‘normal’ sounding. I hope it is quite versatile so you can morph through different textures.
Looking forward to more videos.

Really looking forward to seeing more on the looper/clock sections, seems pretty unique.

9 Likes

Just hanging in there for the final production delivered price. Yikes. This under midi control from OT could be inter-dimensional and with enough gator clips and explorative desire I think it would almost be like being abducted. But in a good way.

3 Likes

More companies need to include buttons and switches like these! That’s just awesome!!

Practical side of me says get a Moog DFAM first, then trade up to/buy a Pulsar 23 after gaining some skill and experience w/ the DFAM.

Other side of me says, look at the pretty color and knobs.

2 Likes

i honestly don’t think that there is too much of a similarity between dfam and this one. but of course i’m willing to stand corrected.

put myself in the pulsar waiting list today, but i’m guessing there will be 2nd hand units available until my order is due.

oh man. i do like the WYSIWYG-units. techno system, shared system, dfam, lyra-8, … should have gone down this road way sooner.

to keep me in this forum: i love my DT/DN/A4, but those are more of supporting actors atm. very important, but not the main stars.

1 Like

What, no The Pipe?

Looks AMAZING.

They don’t look similar to me. The idea of getting a DFAM first before getting a Pulsar 23 is based on my relative lack of experience with voltage-controlled beat-making gear. The idea - for me, not you - is to get more experience with a simpler piece of gear before investing in a much more sophisticated (and expensive) one.

1 Like

If your looking for a gateway to pulsar I’d get a Lyra first, there is a lot of philosophy behind the stuff soma make. I have Lyra and dfam and I see where your coming from: I’m in line for a pulsar and am studying both in prep but think the Lyra perhaps more important to understand. Both would be better but then your in the ballpark for a pulsar!

2 Likes

i completely understand and it’s a wise idea!

had the same idea when getting techno system before shared system. just wanted to point out that besides plucking cables there wasn’t any knowledge gathered in techno system that could be transferred to shared system :wink:

but if you are new to the idea of not having presets and not being able to save something, it’s definitely a good idea! and well, yes, both of them are percussive synths, so…

however, have fun on your journey! i wish i started mine earlier…

Cheers!

Interesting take coming from an owner of both a Lyra and a DFAM!

I have a Lyra-8 and am far from done learning how to use it to its maximum potential.

Agreed. It needs a bit of study rather than throwing switches and I think some sell before they understand. I’m going to work through the manual. For example last night I read that the master pitch controls should be set near maximum - I’ve had them around 12 o clock so will try that today. Lots to discover but I think it’s worth it.

Lyra manual is actually pretty short. For this one, it’s not so easy to anticipate what setting will lead to what sound, which is the beauty of Lyra, its unpredictability. The Pulsar looks to me to be structured differently, so that I think the Lyra–while a great thing to have–isn’t really likely to prepare you for the Pulsar in any more direct way than the DFAM. More emphatically, the Lyra has no patch points, so something with patch points might be the better way to go if you have little experience with patching. Otherwise, I’d say general musicianship will guide you through the Pulsar, so I’d go for the pre-purchase that captures your imagination rather than buy something for a pedagogical purpose.

3 Likes