Power Handle Safety Recall

I definitely think you could be on the right lines with the spring being an issue. I still can’t understand why it was at that end - twisting action and springs is never going to end well.
There’s a reason every battery holder I’ve ever seen has them at the other end - that boing as you drop the batteries in is something I remember well from being a kid.

I’m not happy to see anything fail, but I do feel that the failure points of this design were, or at least should have been, pretty obvious from the beginning. So I’m pretty suprised it had to go this far, hence my disappointment in the whole thing.

2 Likes

Someone on FB asked if there was going to be a replacement, and this was the answer.

A non-commital corporate answer, but it is the only comment they replied to.

+1 on the rubber caps. I’m hoping I had the foresight to put them in the Power Handle box. Now just need to find the box.

1 Like

That answer is in the FAQ Daren linked to above: Power Handle Safety Recall - #10 by darenager

2 Likes

To lazy to read everything but has anyone pulled a “analogue HEAT” joke yet!? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

…i must admit…even given the fact that this nice add on device is no big deal technically in first place and theory…
i have’nt read any details on that recall advice…just picked up the issues’ headline…

so forget what i said…seems way more serious than i thought it is…

2 Likes

Yes. Multiple times.

1 Like

I bought my M:S specifically because I wanted to get the battery handle when it came out. The email I received about this recall literally stopped me minutes short of ordering a Digitone for my main setup.

My primary use case was “go to a park and make a beat” and now I have to find a completely different product, and learn a probably inferior sequencer, to do that.

I’m currently very tempted to contact my retailer and demand they buy my samples back at retail price.

I’m not sure what Digitone has to do with it. You’d need a different battery pack setup for that anyway. But yes, I understand the frustration if you wanted to use your M:S with the handle in the park. Better safe than sorry tho.

Good luck with that if it’s not in the return period.

4 Likes

I’ll still probably order the Digitone at some point, but getting an email telling me that one of my Elektron products had just been recalled definitely made me uncomfortable giving them a bunch more money… at least until I’m sure the recall gets honored.

As for my retailer, I’m well outside the return window, and I’m sure they won’t take it back, but hopefully they’ll remember that Elektron got them to sell products on a feature that doesn’t exist.

To be fair to Elektron, this is the first product recall in their whole history (afaik). It’s hugely unfortunate and is going to cost them a lot of money, but it’s great that they’re honouring refunds for everyone (including postage) who bought the handle. BTW, there are quite a few battery packs for mobile phones/laptops that would work with the right USB cable such as a Ripcord, and that would work out around the same price as the handle (without the ability to use them as a stand too, tho, ofc)

8 Likes

It’s also been recalled very soon after it was launched. The digitone has been out for years without any problems that would require a recall. It seems very unlikely something similar is suddenly going to happen to the digitone now.

9 Likes

Sometimes a little venting helps. In any case, there could conceivably be a replacement by the year end (at earliest imho). I doubt we’d know if/when, but it seems like a credible possibility especially as most of the engineering is botttomed out, something needs a tweak or other mitigation. The wait continues, possibly indefinitely but i think that development would be news that would be shared, so i’m leaning towards a non-commital-date return of the handle, but i think we are looking at 2022 if that’s gonna be the case.

Enjoy y’all’s models in the meantime; support Elektron in the meantime and there’s more likelihood it’ll come good and they can recoup some of the investment in the design process and returns losses by shifting a load of Handle emmkaytu’s in due course.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading this thread for the puns and this (possibly unintentional) one is my favorite so far

9 Likes

I think we’re giving Elektron a little too much credit here for recalling this. If they hadn’t, they’d faced law suits and legal prosecutions along with any personal damage the handle might’ve inflicted on individuals. This isn’t decency, this is necessity.

15 Likes

possibly maybe definitely unintended :tongue:

1 Like

But warmly received.

5 Likes

cool it buddy :tongue:

3 Likes

smug USB power bank owner noises

7 Likes

So sad news :frowning:
Now I’d like to find an alternative to my power handle. Could anyone suggest me any alternative?

Thanks.

if you scroll a tad or read any recent comments, @craig already did (alternative recommendations)

1 Like