Polyphonic Digitakt via Retrokits RK-002 cable?

Yeah it’s the one. Basically it tricks the digitakt in playing chords by cycling the midi info for each note through the 8 tracks (or less, you can customize the firmware via a web app) available. Load some single cycle waves in there, or anything, and it opens up the way you play the machine.

3 Likes

oh wow, so you could have the DN playing 4 tracks on the DT as a 4 poly synth and then still have 4 DT tracks for drums! I did not know you could limit the poly in FW. Much more interesting now!
I wonder can you constrain the channels too so it only uses ch1-ch3 for 3note poly?

1 Like

another app for polyphonic voice distribution.
mac only. 20$ . Has a demo available ! i´ve not tested it.
seems to be standalone vs. host needs. not shure

the midiPal was btw. not working for me when i had one on loan.
used it with a kronos not the DT though

@DaveMech
great polyphonic video with the DT. Very inspiring !

2 Likes

I think so, with the Rk002 DUY programming.
Remind me to give it a try.

Regular Polymux settings :

DUY advanced programming :

1 Like

@lostinthemanual Thanks! :slight_smile:

any news an this. i wrote retrokids but they did´nt answer…

You mean you’d like to edit the Polymux script ?
@grit told me it is planned to be wrote again for DUY.

I don´t now if i´m able myself to write those scripts. thought there is something in the making which would make it really possible to play polyphonically, so new notes won´t steal from a chord which is still pressed down.

Did you not mean retrokiTs.com :wink: I did not see a message about this.

The Polymux is part of the ‘RK-002 Legacy Firmwares’ which are all programmed in C. It is not (yet) in DUY. For now you would need the RK-002/MOD to chain multiple devices.

2 Likes

whoa jackpott…three spelling mistakes in two sentences :wink:

to be honest i have no idea what you try to say here:
“The Polymux is part of the ‘RK-002 Legacy Firmwares’ which are all programmed in C. It is not (yet) in DUY. For now you would need the RK-002/MOD to chain multiple devices.”

Polymux, DUY?

I just want to know if there is anyway to stop notestealing on hold notes…

I have a Midipal with several modes for poly channel split. The code is open source so it can be inspiring for Retrokits.

Pretty stoked that I finally got this working. I ordered a RetroKits RK-002 MIDI cable ($65 shipped from EU, btw) which allows you to distribute polyphonic MIDI data across multiple channels with one of its firmware modes. This effectively means that the Digitakt can now become an 8-voice polyphonic sampler/synthesizer! And I have to say, it works pretty fantastically.

For testing I have been using some SCWs from the Prophet VS (easily found on Google for those that will ask) and creating my own voices by layering 2 or 3 waves and resampling them back to one track. The result is simply amazing and sounds fantastic. You can see a quick demo on my Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkvjj41g1km/

5 Likes

Super cool, thanks for sharing. Is it possible to set it up with a lower voice count? Like having tracks 1-4 as regular drum samples, but with 4-voice polyphony on tracks 5-8?

1 Like

I did not really understand the rotation of notes… :confused: Can you use with 4 track destined to poly chords , and 4 other mono tracks ?

Nice sounds by the way !

You can do 2-8 voices on the Digitakt this way. The configuration app lets you set a base channel, then polymuxed channels you add (1-15) are triggered on the subsequent MIDI channels. I.e., if you set the base to channel 1 and add 3 polymuxed channels, it will trigger channels 1-4 in rotation.

A bit of a bonus is that the RK-002 also duplicates any MIDI CCs coming from the controller channel across all of the polymuxed channels simultaneously. This effectively means you can set up a controller with common controllers of the Digitakt sample voices and use it to treat any polymuxed channels as one instrument. I’m doing with with my Digitone currently. The MIDI track I’m using to send chords to the Digitakt is also sending CC74 to control the filter, so I can play these fat chords and then also sweep the filter live. Since the Digitone has 4 MIDI tracks with 8 controllers and the Digitakt has 4 main editing pages (all minus TRG) with 8 parameters each, you can make a pretty neat 1:1 controller with the pair. Also gives you four extra LFOs which is indispensable!

2 Likes

Okay ! Thank you a lot !

What about the pitches of the key sent ?
Have I to pre-program pitches as Oscillators to obtain chords for example make a combination major chord +0 +4 +7 (but with relatives pitches on each track)
Or is the rk002 sending keys and relatives pitch values to DTtracks ?
Can I with the RK002 play all 3 notes chords of the two chromatics-octave with only 3 tracks ? Or do I have to write pitches manually in tracks ?

You want to have all the tracks be identical (or, in my case, I like to give them a slight bit of detune) for this to work. The cable receives and sends each MIDI note, but on a subsequent channel for each new note played. The Digitakt reads monophonic MIDI on each sample track so it just plays the MIDI it’s receiving at that moment. It’s all automatic, basically.

1 Like

Will this work on a Rytm using the MIDI Channel Filter setting of the RK-002 to remove the choke voices?

For example: MIDI channels 1,2,3 5,6,7 9, 11 active with 4, 8, 10, 12 filtered ?

You can’t remove choke voices. Both of the tracks on the choke share the same voice