Polyphonic Digitakt via Retrokits RK-002 cable?

God bless you! Thanks!

1 Like

The thing that stumped me was that it seems that you have to set the the ā€œbrainā€ to 8 voices. If you do what garf said, set the ā€œbrainā€ to 8 voices, and record enable the brain, you should be good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was touch and go there for a while- but I actually figured it out! With minimal staring blankly at the instructions pretending that Iā€™m reading it!

Thanks again!

And THANK YOU SO MUCH @garf for sharing this with the forum!

@whikidazz if you go for an Ableton Suite/Digitakt type of thing- stuff like this makes Suite worth it!

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting really wrapped up into this- it is unbelievably fun!

I just had a joyful epiphany.

I was thinking- damn! this is great. but now i need some digitakt style percussion chaos. And then BAM! Midi channels --> Drum rack ā€”> Samples from Mars.

So much power from such a little box. This is the best day ever :joy:

1 Like

Didnā€™t even think of that, I just jumped straight to buying a second DT :smile: Have to try that tomorrow!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s where my mind was headed too! :smiley:

Yea sorry, forgot to mention that bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember reading about the retrokits midi cable when the volcas were just coming out. Iā€™m glad to see it can be used with the digitakt. I knew Iā€™d be going back to digitakt down the road but I didnā€™t realize it would have been so soon that Iā€™d want to. You make the abelton digitakt with retrokits midi sound so tempting. Like Iā€™ve said in the past though, Iā€™m just afraid Iā€™d get sucked into the laptop screen and lose the music making focus. Seriously considering this though. Seems like a idea Iā€™m just scared to make the transition.

1 Like

When youā€™ve set it up, you donā€™t really need to look at your screen at all. You just use your midi controller for DT through Ableton. But if you want a pure hw-setup and the polyphonic use of the Digitakt, just buy the Retrokits Cable :slight_smile:

Now you can write / edit your own scripts with Retrokits. Waiting for mine.

1 Like

How much set up is involved with adding push2 with the digitakt? Adding the retrokits midi cable to it just makes sense.

Well, I was talking about setting up the Max For Live-script for playing the digitakt polyphonically. If thatā€™s what youā€™re referring to as well, just set it up as described and use pushs note mode for input in the ā€œbrainā€ of the setup. If youā€™re referring to setting up push for controlling pattern changes or stuff like that, I havenā€™t really tried it.

1 Like

Retrokits have confirmed
"The volca FM/MOD firmware is the one for the Digitakt indeed.

Kind regards,
Gerrit
grit@retrokits.com"

2 Likes

Elektron should really consider making a mode that does this natively. This hack makes it obvious how unnecessarily limited the current OS is.

As well as a way to route midi-lfos to internal tracks without cables.

I love my DT, but it still strikes me as having a lot more potential.

2 Likes

Jep. Video with how to set it up will be online on Thursday at the latest. Keep an eye on my channel https://youtube.com/c/davemech

Sonicstate.com shared my video btw! Very nice of them and great responses as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the idea behind the Digitakt is to make it as streamlined as possible- adding these functionalities while providing use-convolute the user experience.

Not to mention- thinking out of the box is always a part of Elektron machines and it is very rewarding when you accomplish something outside of factory machine capability

3 Likes

I partly agree. But in this case it would just be a switch in the midi-menu.

Of course that would potentially cannibalize any future poly-synth in digitakt-format. Which is a product, I want very much :wink:

So maybe my feelings about this is slightly shaped by my love for this format.

1 Like

Started an Octatrack thread

Totally agree. Much more user friendly, and still very good midi implementation for external control (by OT?) :content:

so with the rk02 could you then sequence the DT polyphonically from something like a keystep?

wicked vid @DaveMech. sounds so lush :slight_smile:

2 Likes