Polyend Tracker

i have been referring to the EQ in the sample editor. kinda funny that its missed by some users, its a testament to its lack of use.

2 Likes

No comments here for quite a while so I assume no big firmware update yet
Did I miss a planned release date ?

1 Like

Orders of the Mini are due to ship 12-July (I think) so Iā€™m guessing the firmware release for itā€™s big brother will coincide with that.

says two months yesterday on backstage, says its ā€œpretty bigā€

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been confused by the EQ complaints, as well. Both the master EQ and the destructive sample EQ have worked for as long as I can remember.

Iā€™ve never found the destructive sample EQ that useful, for lack of configurability, but this ā€œno audible effectā€ meme has been repeated a few times here and on the Polyend forum and had me questioning if my own ears were deceiving me. Is it really possible Iā€™ve been placebo EQā€™ing samples all this time?

It is not.

Loaded up a saw wave sample, captured the un-eqā€™d frequency response on Logicā€™s Channel EQ analyzer.

Then applied a 12db boost on the Trackerā€™s sample EQ effect around 120Hz and 2000Hz.

This has a very obvious effect on the sound of the saw waveā€¦it is clearly more nasal with a low end boost, kind of a quasi-formant sound.

As an A/B with a standard industry tool, we can also apply the same 12db boosts at the same frequencies using Logicā€™s channel EQ. Iā€™ve had to guess at the Q-factors, but they sounded pretty narrow to me so Iā€™ve gone with 4.00 for the low and mid/high boost.

As you can see in the frequency analysis curve, the boost from the Trackerā€™s EQ effect is quite similar in response to the Logic Pro EQ (perhaps it is slightly more drastic in the low end, though again, Iā€™m guessing at the Q).

Mostly Iā€™m relieved my ears still work :sweat_smile:

No EQ | Tracker Sample EQ | Logic Pro EQ

9 Likes

weird that it is so incredibly narrow, understandable that the changes i made were unnoticeable. thanks for doing the test.

4 Likes

Will Milkytracker give me a good flavour of the tracker workflow ? It seems to be most often mentioned in connection with chiptune, which is not my thing, Iā€™m likely to use samples and SCWFs.

Or is it so ancient and limited it will likely put me (with my biases, above) off trackers for life :wink:

EDIT: Oops, should have finished my searching first ā€¦ maybe bassoontracker will tell what I need to know.

Milkytracker ist straight Samplebasedā€¦in top there are ā€œGeneratorsā€ for saw, Pulse etc. But itā€™s far away from a synthengine.

Ancient, yes. Limited, yes.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Has anyone here been beta testing 1.7 at all?
Iā€™m mostly curious about the ā€œclicks and jitterā€ issues apparently being addressed with this updateā€¦
Thanks in advance.

nope. mines just sitting there in the case, waitingā€¦

1 Like

Is Beta available?

some dude on backstage was offering to send me the beta but he was kinda weird so i declined, not weird in a scammer way, he was just kinda odd, i also sold my tracker. but it seems there is a private beta group.

Anyone interested in joining the Beta program and help testing new bugfixes and features can apply. For instructions, check the announcements category on Polyendā€™s backstage.

1 Like

i havenā€™t signed up to beta test, but iā€™m guessing theyā€™re testing for the next version.
in April Polyend said 1.7 would be available in ā€œa few monthsā€, so i hope theyre moving along with thisā€¦

havenā€™t been using recently since I got a M8, should probably sell it

anyone got some good reasons to help me justify keeping it alongside the m8? :wink:

no :joy:

2 Likes

The M8 is more powerful and has more features so I guess itā€™s a question of if you enjoy the interface and screen.

2 Likes

ā€¦ including that the screen lets you see ā€˜trigsā€™ from all tracks side-by-side

Donā€™t own either device right now but that will be a factor in the choice I make when I move on from what Iā€™m currently using.

All eyes on the Mini? When there will be promised udate for the big boy? Is there a Beta at least? Anyone?

2 Likes