Polyend Tracker

The clicks issue in performance mode sounds a bit concerning. And I was really getting excited to use that feature specifically and hate investing extra time to fix volume spikes in post. Will listen to the album when I get a chance!

I mean, that’s accurate though, right? Seems like good advice. Or am I missing something?

2 Likes

i use performance mode often and have not experienced this behavior.
maybe my samples are too quiet? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m not getting this, and my samples are pretty loud.

Out of interest, is your delay send clipping?

I’ve noticed that if I overload the delay and/or don’t keep it’s level under control on the master, it gets a bit crackly and poppy, and not in a fun way.

1 Like

Any good tutorials out there on midisequencing external machines? thanks

You should look here:

and probably in this thread, somewhere above…

2 Likes

is everyone essentially dropping the volume of everything -6db to -12db, then boosting back up in a mixer?

2 Likes

Kind of ? It’s usually enough to drop every fader of the tracker’s mixer about -4db and then raise the master volume

3 Likes

I’m not putting numbers on it, but I am keeping levels relatively low, I guess. Depending on the results I’m after, I might keep individual tracks lower or I might smash them all into the master and just lower the master track til it’s just below red.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just treating the Tracker like what it is: an 8-track electronic recording studio. That means applying all the usual practices I’d apply with any recordings, i.e. I record my samples at as high a level as possible without clipping, and then consider the cumulative effect that each link in the chain and each adjacent track has on the overall volume level. I don’t want to peg the meters at any point in the process. It saves me time if I reduce the level of each track in the mixer before I start. If I know I am going to use a lot of processing, I might also reduce the level of an individual Instrument to prevent any surprises.

It’s easy to forget or overlook the importance of gain staging on a single piece of equipment, but like so many so-called groove-boxes or workstations, the Tracker is a full-on recording studio and requires the same amount of attention to each link in the chain to achieve the best results.

10 Likes

i just wish there was a maximizer or some practical booster to put on the master, because it is so quiet when you have everything set so it’s not clipping.

1 Like

Just curious if anyone here owns the PT and the M8? If so, do you like having both? I’ve had an M8 for about 5 days. Zero experience with trackers, but I absolutely love the workflow. Is there a good reason to have both?

2 Likes

@glooms has given me some thoughts on the Polyend Tracker vs the M8 Tracker as I have been comparing the two recently. He states the M8 wins by a decent margin due to Onboard Synthesis, Output levels, quicker sample export, better memory management, fx automation, faster work flow, tables and less menu diving.

Polyend tracker seems to have more fx to apply to samples, bigger screen, Euclidean mode, fill mode, custom scales you can lock to and also performance mode.

I was originally really interested in the Polyend Tracker but the more research I do, I start leaning more toward the M8 Tracker. Although still intrigued by the PT. I think anybody would enjoy either of them, as long as you can enjoy the tracker workflow.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s much point in having both, you’re better off saving some money and grabbing a copy of Renoise instead.

1 Like

Good to know! Gloom’s does some crazy stuff on his M8. On the YouTube channel AllMyFriendsAreSynths (I believe he’s on elektronauts, but can’t remember his screen name), the host compares the two and said he loves the M8 as a stand-alone piece but loves the PT as a midi sequencer for external instruments. It’s still gonna be awhile before I fully wrap my head around the tracker workflow, but I’m finding myself looking into the PT more now as a midi sequencer, possibly. Initially I went with the M8 because I wanted something small and portable for traveling and I will say it’s amazing to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that perspective! I actually bought renoise about a year ago and very quickly got frustrated with it. I mean very quickly! Never really gave it a chance, but I’ll revisit it at some point

1 Like

I keep coming back to check out this sexy machinery, so smoooooooth, clean buttons, and all the literature you all have piled on, cherry on top :wink:

3 Likes

That’s him! Seems like an awesome dude and I love his YT channel

2 Likes

I think the M8 Tracker might also be a fairly capable midi sequencer for external gear. Not sure which one is better.

1 Like