Pluto Synth

It’s still in early stages (pre-release batch available soon) but this little synth is rather appealing to me. It’s in the vein of Buchla i.e. West Coast synthesis, but looks really approachable and fun. Compact and battery-powered, MIDI & CV in/out too.

31 Likes

US$450

Was hoping for a bit less but still seems fair.

3 Likes

I think it sounds great. And they packed some nice functionality into it, especially considering the size.

1 Like

https://www.modernsounds.co/pluto

They’re in Ann Arbor Michigan.

4 Likes

Even cooler. Nice town.

2 Likes

Nice knobs.

Really cool product. Darn wish it was a wee bit cheaper, but that’s just me being a penny pincher. So many other little devices this would pair up well with. Hope to have one in the arsenal someday.

Paging @craig

4 Likes

Yeah, I am a bit on the same page on the price of this but it does seem more or less fair, especially considering it has a built in battery. A surprising amount of connectivity on the back but no CV in for pitch is really the main omission I can see, maybe the oscillator can’t stand up to audio rate modulation or something. Only other thing is the delay seems very safe and patch point free, which is a bit hard to be excited about.

Still seems like an achievement, hope they have a hit and maybe make a bit deeper take on a westcoast box next.

1 Like

this looks terrific. cheers for the heads-up - colour me very interested…

Home of Domino’s Pizza.

1 Like
And home of Max Crook, electronic music pioneer — Off-Topic

Ann Arbor is the childhood home of Max Crook, pioneer in electronic pop music, and inventor of his Musitron. He co-wrote the song Runaway with Del Shannon, improvising the lead in that song.

https://youtu.be/0S13mP_pfEc?t=69

Max died last July.

1 Like

SynthAnatomy calls the Pluto Synth a “wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

They also say the price is to be announced.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I wonder if that’s a mistake; they gave it a price here: Pluto is almost ready

1 Like

Yeah, given that i’d say S.A. missed this. Good link BTW.

I like wolves.

So you have tha Akai Rhythm Wolf.

1 Like

That’s all I have.

2 Likes

Also, a good play on words here could have been, “A Wolverine in sheep’s clothing”, since it is in Ann Arbor.

4 Likes

This thing sounds really good. I think I want one.