Pluto Synth

This is super cool.

Like an OP-1 synth and sequencer mode, that’s actually modular.

7 Likes

:heart_eyes:

This would sure look pretty with a Division Department 01/IV…

1 Like

I just got an update e-mail. Part of that was a link to an FAQ:

https://www.modernsounds.co/faq

Some significant things here.

• They are planning for their first full production run of Plutos for summer 2021
  • They are exploring switching to USB C before their production run.
  • They are considering some possible future Pluto-related DIY projects.

Also they were taken by surprise how strong the reaction to the announcement of the Pluto received.

9 Likes

Funny but i’ve been checking this thread several times in the past few days, my antenna have been up expecting a message from Pluto. Sure enough i got an e-mail.

The message is long and friendly. They’re still on for a summer release, though the chip shortage is a potential snag. They’ve been busy, made a few electronic improvements, like the USB-C jack, and improved battery life. They’ve been getting help from their “beta’ users and have been banning bugs.

The e-mail also talks about many things, nice they’re well rounded. Quite a bit of discussion on the film Sisters with Transistors. There are all sorts of links too, like one for portable pipe organs for children.

If you’re not signed up for their e-mail notification, you can sign up on their web-site.

Anything else stand out for anyone else that got the update ?

EDITED: Clarified second to last sentence.

3 Likes

You covered it pretty well. I have been thinking about this little synth over the past week or so too. Saw a post pop up on instagram and then the email came out. Glad to see things are moving along. I might have to get in on the next round of production.

3 Likes

Message from Pluto. New update. Nutshelll: Delayed a few months to rev the PCB, mainly to allow for alternate part sourcing. ( A smart engineering move ! That’s reassuring. )

Look back at some of the videos if you’ve forgotten this one.

2 Likes

Yeah - I saw the email. I’m probably not in the market anymore, but it is cool to see the updates. It sounds like it truly is tough times for electronics manufacturing right now.

1 Like

Another Message From Pluto ! :laughing:

They have the finished main circuit boards – they are waiting for a few other parts, and then they can put Pluto in orbit !

My guess is early 2022 for them to take orders and start selling Plutos.

5 Likes

Yeah! Getting closer. 4 months later and I’m finding myself saying “I might be down for one of these again” hahaha. Ka runs like a wheel (for you Stephen King fans out there).

2 Likes

Oy! Eld! Thankee!

(Just typing that out, my favorite line in literature maybe ever, made me smile big big)

Totally forgot about the Pluto but when I scrolled back up and saw it in the youtube embed I was like, “Oh yea! I want one.”

3 Likes
4 Likes

Was thinking about getting one, but on the fence at $500. Love the size and rechargeable battery, but wondering if it would still be interesting after a couple months. Should also have a proper case for the price—not a pcb fort.

Shhhh. Don’t tell anyone!?

I didn’t realize that. I thought it was an enclosed metal case.

Pluto will be released tomorrow Wednesday July 6 at 12:00pm Eastern Time!

Some launch day details…

The price is $499 USD

Pluto will only be available directly from the Modern Sounds website.

Worldwide shipping is available.

Buyers outside the USA will be responsible for any taxes and duty fees.

Quantities are limited, so one Pluto per person.

If you don’t get a Pluto this time, we’re hoping to do another batch later this summer.

Some of you locals asked, but pickup won’t be an option this time around. Maybe next time?

Pluto will come with five 3.5mm patch cables. These 20 cm/8 inch cables are the perfect size for Pluto.

Thought it was a synth that reproduces every sound heard in Björk’s track “Pluto” from “Homogenic”.
It doesn’t. I’m disappointed.
:rofl:

Managed to snag one…that sold out fast :flushed: under five minutes

1 Like

That’s for sure !

Not sure how many they sold, but i clicked several times between 11:58 and 12:05 and this went right on by me – i never even had a chance.

Hey that’s nothing, I managed to get a Lottie Canto Colour Palette order in last week after trying for over a year! Requires a fair bit of forward planning and they sell out in under a minute :scream:

Pluto looks cool, has a sort of teenage engineering vibe about it, but afforable.

1 Like