Peak vs Hydrasynth for Psytrance/Trance?

DROOL! :+1:t6:

1 Like

I had a Pro 2 and it really didn’t work for me, I sold it soon afterwards. Plus I prefer polys as trance has many chords and pads. I have a Neutron & MS-101 for mono duties :slight_smile:

That’s it – the Pro 3. Good choice. And as long as we’re up in that price range, in comes the Waldorf Kyra which adds multi-timbrallity. I think my point about comparing is these are all synths you could own together as a group without much fear of having two synths so much alike you’d feel like it was a duplicate. They’re all unique and stand on their own.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The one thing i tend to prefer for hardware synths is the user interaction and how intuitive they are to use. if I have a hardware synth that is full of menu diving, I may as well use a VST. So far my Nord Lead 4 wins on that factor. Also I tend to find people saying that synths are not genre specific, but personally there is a reason why most Psytrance producers have Nords and Virus Ti’s. I do think some synths lend their sound better to some genres better than others.

1 Like

Literally no idea if this is good or bad. Not my genre! But I had a quick go after watching that tutorial and it was a fun experiment.

All the effects are internal, didn’t really adjust them much. He uses a kind of comb filter, this is the Peak’s BP filter in 24db mode. He uses bitcrush, this has a bit of the analogue distortion (pre and post filter and a little bit of the master distortion effect). Uh, what else. There was something else he used that the Peak doesn’t have. I used some ring mod instead.

Some compression added afterwards as he also leant on that a fair bit.

4 Likes

I can say that they are not. Had both (Peak instead of Summit) Peak is more inline with hydra voice wise. But they are DIFFERENT.

So which one did you prefer?

Thanks for making that! Sounds great!

1 Like

As I can only have one right now I chose Peak, I feel it has more range. but I DO miss the Hydra.
but I will reacquire a Hydra when I can afford to.

2 Likes

Love the sound of Peak although I don’t have one. I do have Hydra desktop for 3 weeks now but only used it a couple of times, sounds great tho I might sell mine due to work flow

1 Like

How is the workflow an issue for you?

It may be nothing to others and it’s a fantastic sounding synth but of all my gear this one is the ultimate pain aka NRPN
There’s no other reason for me to sell it other than workflow… I don’t have time to mess about with NRPN’s I prefer fast midi cc control and Hydra is the only synth I have that doesn’t just do what it’s told pardon the anger lol

2 Likes

For psytrance, you need SH-101 (or MS-1). That is all.

Already got one :wink: But it doesnt cover all sounds necessary.

1 Like

Why not use CCs instead?

2 Likes

I’m confused. From what rob_lee is saying, it seems like HS only uses NRPN. Is it the case or you can use both? I don’t own an HS but very tempted by this synth.

As discussed on the Hydrasynth topic, the Hydrasynth’s mod matrix allows any MIDI CC message to be used as a mod source and as far as I know any synth parameter to be used as a mod destination. See page 75 of the Hydrasynth manual.

2 Likes

From the manual page 76

For the most part it’s NRPN

1 Like

!?

That was what liked most about hydra. Love the UI, keys…solid unit. I really would like to use it as the keys for my Peak. :slight_smile:

Any ways, everyone’s got their own prefs. Mine are probably no reference for anyone. I’m really a hack. No background. I just like trying to make music. (I haven’t yet tho :frowning: )

2 Likes

Hydra is the only synth I liked since the Nord lead 4 the sound is absolutely fab but I can’t get it to gel with the rest of my gear via midi and the MPC X you need another controller to send the MPC X nrpn then save it which is just a FAFF on for me.
Each to their own, but if someone can show me (Iv’e tried for days) to do the filters by midi cc straight up I’ll keep Hydra :slight_smile:

1 Like