Peak vs Hydrasynth for Psytrance/Trance?

I’m just cooking and then I’ll get back to you… :happy:

1 Like

Cheers! Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

What you cooking? I’m starving

Beef and lentil curry. Making it up as I go along to be honest

1 Like

Ok, food’s ticking over for a bit now…

So I feel like I quite often link to this, it’s long but does does go into some really interesting places especially with the distortion and unison:

If the intro examples turn you off then probably not worth persevering.

Apart from that - let’s talk about what we mean by aggressive. What are you looking for? Distortion? Filter screech? Snappy envelopes? Earth-quaking bass? Dissonant FM?

I can maybe throw a couple of patches together this evening if you give me a steer, not much else to do.

2 Likes

Nice one! I’m watching the video now. This is the kind of thing:-

Also the kind of lead sound at 3:30 :-

Yeah at the 16min mark on that Peak Demo it gets very aggressive! :slight_smile: Nice!

1 Like

Alright, I understand what you’re after - something in that ballpark should be pretty straightforward on the Peak, it has all the required elements. I’ll eat and then see if I can knock something up.

1 Like

Cheers bro! Very kind of you! Although making it more difficult to decide , as I was leaning towards the Hydrasynth! lol

So as long as we’re going with mylarmelodies demos here’s what he does with the Hydrasynth.

I start it somewhere is the middle where he starts using the vowel filters i think.

Comment was made about the Peak being preferred because it has an analog filter. The combination of two digital filters on the HS gives all sorts of choice between them and the way you can choose to connect them and play with the stereo aspects of them is great.

3 Likes

Yes the Hydrasynth seems to offer some modulations that are unique compared to other hardware synths. I guess I would kind of like Serum in a box and this might be the closest thing.

At 26:55 he hits the jackpot with a randomize patch – he plays it for a a few seconds and then throws it away. I want that patch !

3 Likes

Yeah I’d love to audition a Hydra for a couple of days to really understand how the filters sound. The flexibility is a massive plus. But from all the demos I’ve heard I wonder if the filter can carry a patch as easily as the Peak filter can. Very genre dependent though I’m sure.

1 Like

Does sound like the Hydra is closer to what you want. You’ll run out of modulation sources a lot sooner on the Peak, envelopes especially. Custom wavetables on the Peak now though.

1 Like

Yeah, i’m not talking down the Peak. It’s a different beast entirely. There’s some shaky ground here at the foundation of this thread – trying to compare the Peak and the Hydrasynth. Both greats of recent synths.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

So that has nothing to do with trance, rather, it’s about sound design.

My buddy does some suck shit on the sys8

Again what you have will be pretty close if not the same as what you get outta the peak, maybe not hydra. But for me that thing is tiny and thin. But if you need that, then I’d say hydra.

Again you already have mad sound making gear .

Just one shitty musicians…uh…sound players POV.

2 Likes

I disagree, they are very comparable due to the wavetables, effects and polyphony, price point.

I feel like the sounds you are referencing looking for are mostly mono why not also consider a pro 3? This video at around 11:10 is kind of close to what you are after. Tons of cool feedback options and flexibility with its mod matrix, crazy modulation options with its sequencer as well. around 6 minutes as some nice stuff as well.

2 Likes