Peak vs Hydrasynth for Psytrance/Trance?

Looking at buying one of the above, just wondered if anyone has owned or heard both to compare?
(I already own a Virus TI2, Nord Lead 4, Roland System 8, Argon8)

1 Like

Dude you’ve got an Arsenal for psytrance already. You might be disappointed if you get either one

What extra sounds would you think you would be getting from those two synths ? Your setup would overlap already. Especially since you have the TI2, argon8, and the system 8.

12 Likes

Well the Hydrasynth has more extensive modulations than the Argon8 and the Peak also has the ability to load custom wavetables. Plus I know a few people have mentioned that the Peak sounds better than the Virus TI.

1 Like

I think it was psyclone001

If it were me. Give the peak a shot. You get the wavetables with the analog filtering. That analog filtering section makes a huge difference to the sound.

3 Likes

Peak, without doubt:
More than enough flexibility with wavetables, fm and ringmod. Modulation matrix is powerfull and allows you to design a patch that completely morphs by using the mw. The several analog drive stages and the analog filters really help to make anything possible from clean to warm to dirty to digital to analog to circuitbent or otherwise completely over the top…

Brilliant synth!

5 Likes

Not sure if this is to your taste - it’s not to mine - but maybe some good patch tips in here for more synthetic/electronic sounds on the Peak. Might give you a sense of it’s range/suitability.

2 Likes

Well put! It is really fun to make a patch that warps and twists with the MW.

1 Like

I’m also into psytrance and got the Peak. I think the Hydrasynth is better suited though. Especially all the modulation and oscillator sculpting possibilities makes it stand out to me and well suited for creating gnarly and evolving psytrance sounds. The Peak is more for your classic sounds, which does the System-8 (which I also own) even better tbh.

The Peak does have more modulation options than the S8, which makes it a nice evolving pad synth, but the S8 has the better raw oscillators. The filter on the Peak is really good though, and it has a BPF, which the S8 lacks.

Anyway, the Hydrasynth I think will do anything the Peak can do, and a lot more. I will probably add it to my setup as well!

1 Like

Great! Thanks very much! :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s my thinking too, as I think the Hydrasynth has more to offer in terms of modulation especially with all the envelopes, LFO’s and mutators. Plus probably a bit more aggressive. Also the interface is very intuitive too apparently!

Not from what I’ve heard of the Hydra.

Jump to 7 mins.

Sounds good, but more aggressive than the Peak? Can’t say I’m convinced. Great synth though, the Hydra, wish I could justify one.

Less is more man. If you’re having trouble getting going, more will just ad to the paralysis.

Make the ones you have give you what you want. You have good stuff! :+1:t6:

5 Likes

All else aside I think the interface of the hydra synth is the most immediate and creative.

Very fast assigning modulation and I could see myself being more exploratory with that synth than many others.

3 Likes

Do you have any examples of the Peak with aggressive sounds? I’ve not heard much as yet? I would go to my local music store to demo them both if they were open! :frowning:

Very true, however I am trying to release sound packs on most of my hardware and I love getting lost in sound design on hardware over VST’s. Hence why I have a long list.

5 Likes

Yeah this for me is the killer feature on the Hydra, the interface.

1 Like