Parts not loading immediately

Setting up for a live show and I have a ton of different parts over various patterns and banks. However, when I switch to a new pattern with a new part and I trig a freeplay track, the first sound is the part that was loaded before, then it (within a second) switches over to the new sound. I can’t believe this is supposed to be happening. Am I missing something?

How are your patterns set to end?

The new part cannot kick in (so neither can the free play sample) until the other is finished as it’s linked to the pattern unless you change settings.

If I’m understanding you right.

Will try this next time I’m with my OT. Both plays free tracks and changing parts can behave strangely / buggy. I know changing parts on the same pattern while running is not totally smooth - or at least it’s usually noticeable. Seems unsurprising considering all the changes that can happen in a part change. The worst case is if you change part during step one - it mutes that track until the next pattern start! (or at least it does for me). As for plays free tracks - not all the trig modes work to the stated division (like 1/16 mode works as 2/16) but set to PLEN it’s okay in my experience.

I like the sound of the way you are working and want to try it out. I think plays free is a bit under-explored but could be so powerful especially with the bugs are ironed out. Provide some more details like your plays free settings and whether the tracks are trigged from silent of are running at the time you switch…

1 Like

Try pattern settings (function+bank) go to the track # and turn “starts silent” to yes…

That didn’t work. It actually made it not trigger at all when changing patterns.

What do you mean “linked to the pattern”?

Here’s what I have.

Pattern A01 - Part 1 - T1 - Vocal sequence for song Mango
Pattern A02 - Part 2 - T1 - Violin sequence for Melek Taus
Pattern A03 - Part 3 - T1 - McFerrin vocal 1

When I start from the beginning, I trigger Mango vocal sequence using the AT1 trigger. Eventually, I stop it using the AT1 trigger. Song change happens in set, I go to trigger Melek Taus violin (after having switched patterns a bit before). Instead of the MT violin playing, it starts with the Mango vocal, then switches 1 step in to the MT violin. However, when I got to pattern A03 and try to trigger the McFerrin vocals on T1, the first step of Mango or MT plays (whichever I pattern I came from), but then silence. I have to them doubletap the AT1 button to get it to trigger. This happens for any pattern/track/part combo.

Also, all tracks are set to trig quant at 16/16, trig mode One2.

So if I hit PLAY on the OT transport before I launch the tracks, it seems to cause the parts to change when needed. Guess I’ll make sure to do that!

1 Like

Right, if the sequencer is not going you can try to reload the part, that kicks it in.
With the starts silent the previous parts track of the same number goes into its release phase, so lowering that and maybe lowering the hold could work as well, but don’t know if that works without the sequencer going…

Also I’ve had this happen with tracks on a new pattern/part where the last pattern/part had a pickup on that track. If I leave the part with the pickup and the pickup is not playing, the next pattern/part doesn’t trigger that track. I either have to make sure the pickup is playing (muted if necessary) before I switch, or do a part reload for the next pattern/part if I left the previous without the pickup running…
I might mess with amp settings and a few other setting to see if I can resolve it…

I’m finding it plays the old sound until it reaches the second trig… so it can be a lot more than a second. I’m switching patterns with the sequencer running & with trig quant for the plays free track set to DIRECT. And it doesn’t matter how long the new part/pattern has been running for you still hear the old sample for the first trig of a plays free pattern!

bug

Worse still - if you have more than one plays free track, they all have to get past one trig to start playing their assigned samples

bad bug

Workaround?: If you p-lock the sample assignment of that first trig to something other than track default it will play the correct (p-locked, non-default) sample. Hope that works in your setup too

1 Like

Did you try starts silent with a small hold and really small release?
The OT by default plays the previous parts track until a trig is reached on the next part. This is expected behavior.
With start silent the previous track enters its release phase, and if the release is long start silent will apparently have no effect. Perhaps try with start silent, small hold, and release 0…

Edit: I don’t know about Clany’s second trig business… that sounds fishy…

Is the previous sample a pickup recording?

All the samples are pre-made in my computer. They are cut up Loops from various stems of our tracks

No - just static slots

Sorry if this is a derail. But get this:

(tested on a new project using just one plays free, oneshot track, trig quant left at tr.len. Two parts -the only difference being the assigned sample on the track)

So I start on part one and trig the track - I have one trig on step one, then a few more at the end of the bar - plays fine

Then:

if the sequncer isn’t running and I change parts the first trig when trigging the track is SILENT then switches to the correct sample

If the sequencer IS running I get the first trig, but it’s the old sample as described above

Anyone confirm?

and I think it’s all related to this bug which affects regular, non-plays free tracks:

If you change parts (with a change in a track’s default sample) and you make that change between step 16 and step 1 (on a 16/16 standard length pattern) - you get the first trig playing the old sample and all the following ones are SILENT until pattern restarts

oh boy… I just tested this again where the sample doesn’t even change. I just copied part one to part two and the first trig played (obviously same sample as expected) the rest of the pattern was SILENT until pattern restart