Octatrack MKII (MK2/2nd Gen) specific bugs thread

Hi all, first time post here, I recently bought a 2nd hand OT Mk2 and i am so happy with the workflow I have in place now. Anyway the issue I have found (Im on ver 1.3c) is my T7 red led sometimes blinkers very faintly when I’m on that track. Sometimes its fine (normal RED led) but other times it flickers like the led is malfunctioning? Anyone else had this issue? It doesn’t effect performance and I’m already racing toward my 7th (keeper) beat since owning it for a month now :slight_smile:
I should add Ive also noticed the uneven back light issue on some of the trigs and main function buttons but that’s not really bothering me right now, but the flicking LED issue is! Should I be thinking about a return under the 3y warranty? Ive transferred the serial successfully to my account. Thanks :smiley:

It’s completely up to you whether the flickering LED is distracting enough for you to get your OT repaired. If you did want to do so, you should create a support ticket on Elektron’s website.

1 Like

Thanks Peter I suppose it’s not a distraction so I’ll bear with it for now.
Mj

I don’t know if this has been reported but when I switch Parts it takes a good 1-2 seconds for the switch to happen and then you hear the sounds… is this normal behavior? I have 1.30c

sometimes it works but most times the switching parts doesn’t work…

I’ve contacted support about the input led flickering and they confirmed it is a hardware issue.
The unit has to return for service :frowning:

So no software issue!

2 Likes

Could be an old bug

This may be a user error but it happens frequently enough I thought I’d see if this is a “thing”:

TLDR: Sometimes quantized record stop doesnt work as expected.

I have all my track recorders set to ONE2 mode, with QREC set to 16. I also have the “quick record” option set. Very frequently I’ll capture live audio or resample a track with the following process:

• Open REC1 menu and set a one-shot rec trig on first step
  • Hold the one-shot trig and press the REC1/2/3 button, depending on what i want to record
  • Press the one-shot trig to ARM it
  • Start playing the sequence, and I see the track recording start
  • Exit the REC SETUP page
  • Sometime later, press REC1/2/3 (depending on what the trig was set to record) a few beats before I want it to stop

Now, SOMETIMES, the recording continues. MOST of the time, it works as expected (I get a quantized STOP on my recorder).

100% of the time, if it doesn’t work, re-arming and trying again does work as expected.

Am I just fat-fingering something occasionally or does anybody else sometimes see this?

Same behavior with Rec 1 only? Rec 2 only? Rec 3 ?
Same behavior without one shot, starting record with Rec 1/2/3 ?

1 Like

Great questions, not at home, I may do a bit more scientific experimenting tonight.

It’s always been at most one input at a time (i.e. the rec trig isnt set for both REC1 and REC2)

I’ve for sure seen this happen on all inputs (REC1/REC2/REC3)

I’m not entirely sure if I’ve seen it happen when doing a manual (quantized) record start, as I almost always kick off the recorder with a rec trig

1 Like

Check the time needed before Qrec 16 to stop it correctly.
As you can’t use ONE2 with rec trigs only, I don’t know if that “sometimes” issue can be related… :thinking:

1 Like

I just tested a bunch of times a one shot recorder, qrec 16, one2mode, and it always stopped at the right time, I’m on mk1 1.25H though… Also tested manual recoding and worked with those settings…

The thing getting me is “press the one shot to arm it”…
This is not a method to arm one shots. Armed one shots are fully yellow, unarmed one shots flash yellow and red… What is the color of your record trig?
You enter one shots with func+trig and they are initially armed by default…

Something tells me you may be occasionally unintentionally turning it into a solid red record trig instead of a one shot, so it just keeps recording…

Maybe you know, but just in case, if you set up the recorder one shot correctly you can just press yes to arm it again without having to enter back into record setup, as long as you want to capture the same input selection, you can set up other recorders for different sources and then barely ever have to enter record setup again. Sequencer can be running…

3 Likes

Looks like it just a user-error, thanks for the feedback y’all. Anytime I would carefully / slowly go through the motions there were no issues. I’m sure I was just fat-fingering something.

3 Likes

You sometimes get to strange corners with the OT but it’s super solid once your on the right path…
My OTs set up as a looper and has recorder hundreds and hundreds of loops and I can’t remember the last time one didn’t record right, I don’t think it ever has messed up sampling using my main project… This is always using the exact same preconfigured setup however…

2 Likes

I noticed at the weekend that the current Track red LED sometimes disappears now which for me is a distraction for quick referencing what track I am on when edited :frowning:

The MK2s and Digi machines look real nice, but reading about these bugs really prevent me from purchasing the MK2s. Maybe I’ll stick with my perfectly working MK1s for now. :slightly_smiling_face:

My Unit freeze sometimes on the screen where you can see the installed OS Version. it just stops there. (happend now 2 times)

OS 1.30C

Any1 else?

I you start the Recording with a One Shot Rec Trig, you have to press REC twice to stop it.
Hence the randomness feeling.

Too bad… you send it ? how much time did it took to get it back ?

No I havent send it yet, it will go via the dealer and they told me 2-3 weeks.
I cant decide when i want to miss the OT for some time :frowning:

End of July now. Are we all clear of bugs on OS1.30C now?.
I had a MK1, sold it a while ago. Was thinking about getting a MK2 but after reading about all the bug reports, that’s not going to happen until all these freezing issues are COMPLETELY corrected. That is unacceptable. Not going to spend $1300 on a machine that locks up.

How much testing is done on these firmware versions before they’re released?.. just don’t get it.