Octatrack FX and parts

Ive been really getting to grips with parts and patterns this past week along with scenes too and getting those used in the arranger.

I have an FX question. As I see it FX are part of the track so even if i use different parts the fx once on a track is used and changing it again while working on another part with different samples still applies that FX in the new part.

is that correct?

How do I overcome that? is this where a flex machine takes over and records a part that then becomes a sample allowing me to then work on a different part with a new FX?

I hope that makes sense as you know I am crap at explaining.

You can resample a track before changing part.

If I understand it right…

The FX changes with Parts.
If changing Part you do not have a Track triggered, then the previous FX will keeps playing. You will hear the new FX once you trig the Track.

2 Likes

Interesting. Even with Reverb ?

Both FX slots…if a track doesn’t get triggered, all of its associated parameters do not “update”

4 Likes

so thats interesting so each part has 16 fx slots (so to speak) part independent. I wasnt sure about the triggers as the track in the lets say new part has a trig to trigger the sample. is this where the fx trig come into play?

when i look at the fx by pressing the effect button its got the last used effect there and when i change it to the new effect i want it sounds like the last part i was working on lost the effect for the new effect.

I couldnt tell from Merlins diagram and the manual just says each track has two.

I just tried. It’s true for Thru, Static and FLEX Machines too. :thup:
Not Pickups, apparently.
With Neighbor, if there’s no trig, it seems to start with the upper track. :sketchy:

2 Likes

ok cool I will give this a go later, its a final bit of the puzzle for me.

I didn’t know that after 2 years with OT. :content:
I don’t use parts so much, but that’s a reason to use them in a pattern chain, changing fx with tracks without trigs for transitions…

I haven’t run into this the way I use my OT either, funny how that works. If your changing parts by pattern switch you can throw a trigless lock/trig on the first step of the new pattern locked to something and I think that should kick in the new fx without trigging the track… The start silent feature may have some use to you as well…

Also, sometimes, just to be sure, I quickly use the part reload function to make sure the new part’s FX are active. But @sicijk, your explanation makes sense.

If I remember right from my tests, few years ago, you need a proper trig…not a green one, unfortunately. But on Neighbors it should not cause serious workarounds…

1 Like

I tried Trigless to affect the previous pattern FX, it doesn’t work either.

I experimented last night and with a ‘real’ trig it did indeed work and allowed the fx on the two parts to play correctly ie one had delay the other reverb and played nicely.

is pattern switching the only way to change parts? I mean in the sense of not doing it manually, which do you favor?

I don’t know other ways. I wish it could be changed with midi messages, or plocked.
We can do a lot a things with scenes.

Spoken like a true Otist…

1 Like

indeed…OT is the verb :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Otist Reading…

1 Like

Changing parts manually has some issues.

1 Like

I think what you are referring to is sorted via “START SILENT”

If YES si selected, the change on parts should force new fx to activate…