Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

While I immediately clicked with the Oxi One (and still find the OT a nightmare), everybody is different and we’re here to help.

4 Likes

IMO it’s the manual … the concept of the sequencer is very good and inspiring, but the descriptions in the manual could be much more clear in some places. Ask any question needed :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks so much for offering your help, everyone! Too kind :slight_smile:

I am struggling with the manual, but I struggle with manuals in general! I feel like most of the YouTube videos I’ve seen are good at letting me hear what the Oxi can do, but not so good at instructing me on how to actually do it :confused:

I spent about 4-5 hours with the Oxi last night and feel embarrassed at how little I was able to accomplish. I did a ‘test track (crappy piece of music made just to go through the workflow)’ and sent 5 gates out to my eurorack perc on the Multi sequencer. Then I did some chords on my EssenceFM and a bass line on the EFM using the Mono sequencer. Just one pattern that I made variations with by twisting knobs and such. Attempted to send cv pitch and gate to a eurorack synth voice, but couldn’t get it to work. At that point I got pissed off and went to bed :slight_smile:
I’m really not sure what questions to ask as I barely know how to do anything on the Oxi yet and I’d rather not see this thread get bogged down by one idiot (me) asking too many dumb questions!

1 Like

No question is dumb.

So, you are struggling with the CV GATE selection?
It’s important to have a visual overview of it

Each column sets only its corresponding cv or gate output, they are completely independent and can send the same information, offseted it or whatever (unused outputs are good mults with optional offset for pitch or modulation, so you can send a fixed chord interval from a Mono sequencer, for example).

So having that in mind, you have to activate which output sends cv/gate from which sequencer. That’s made on the first 4 rows. So for example, on CV1 you want to send something from sequencer 1, that’s the top left pad that has to be active.

Once you press it, the 4th pad from the bottom in that column will light up too, if you follow the row to the left you’ll see it correlates to pitch, also shown in the screen. Your CV1 is already sending V/oct.
Further, you can choose voice number (if your mode is other than Mono or Stochastic), pitch offset by semitones and type of cv (V/oct, Hz/V or 1.2V).

Now you want its respective gate, so you press on for example gate 1 column (9th) top pad, since it references the sequencer 1. Gate 1 starts sending gate information of voice 1, the same as the CV1 pitch is referring too.

For the CV outs there’s a ‘trigger envelope’ that works perfectly as a replacement of gate, as it’s more dynamic and VCA ready (AD with amplitude depending on MIDI velocity and decay depending on MIDI gate, plus attack time manually selected or modulated by the LFO or any MOD Lane of that sequencer, neat!).

It’s way more convoluted to explain by words, I just remembered there’s also a video on it, that I made :rofl: (note that the OXI in the video is a proto and the VCO is not tuned… yikes)

Let me know if you have further questions.

5 Likes

Great overview!

Will admit the first time I encountered the CV/Gate assignment it took me a minute to realise what was going on but I got there quickly enough.

@Snipecatcher

Although it seems a bit confusing to get these assignments set-up at first it’s actually very fast and easy to work with once you ‘get it’ - I can flick into that screen and tap-tap-tap-tap a whole bunch of assignments ready for my Pipe in no time at all.

Although unfortunately I can’t share your general experience - I feel like I got most of what I needed out of the Oxi in my first session without touching the manual.

Maybe another question is to ask what you’re wanting to achieve with it? Sounds like you got some sequences going - other than the CV issue which hopefully Carlos has helped with was there anything else blocking you?

Also make sure you’re updated to the latest firmware, if you’re not already.

3 Likes

I just got the Oxi last week, so I guess I assumed it was the latest firmware. Is 2.0 the latest?
Thanks!

@CarlosUnch- I watched that tutorial last night. It’s the most clear for sure, so thanks! The diagram cleared up a couple things. I’m still having an odd issue. SEQ-1 is a Mono sequencer controlling a eurorack VCO. Everything is fine there.
SEQ-2 is a Mono track making a bass line on EFM. Again, fine.
SEQ-3 is unused at the moment
SEQ-4 is a Multi track and I’m using 3 gates to trigger my Squarp Rample. Everything is triggering, but although I have the kick set to four on the floor, it’s triggering randomly, though I have all trigs set to 100%. And idea what I’m doing wrong?

@Soarer- we are both EFM owners! I will likely PM you with a couple questions if that’s ok?

Totally :grinning:

1 Like

Made a little headway today, but it’s still slow going. Came up with one jam. Need to dive into more arrangement stuff

3 Likes

It is - however mine didn’t have 2.0 on it when it arrived (a couple of weeks ago), so double check!

2 Likes

Yep, 2.0! Thanks for the reminder to check!

Does the Oxi has any audio / cv inputs to make it interact with the modular gear or to finetune the pitch of an analog osc? Some oscilators start drifting after 3 - 4 octaves. you can correct that with bitwig or Ornaments & Crime. Would be nice if Oxi can do this too and save is at configuration file for a channel.

If all trigs are at 100% the pattern should play every event in every loop without randomness.

It might be you (somehow), but it might be also a technical problem. A cable could be broken, the jacks could not be plugged in correctly (deep enough) …

As an example I recommend to check another gate-output to exclude that the OXI’s hardware is the culprit. Or use a different cable etc. If the connection between gate-output and SR is unstable, you will observe some “randomness”.

1 Like

Yes, one assignable cv input.

You can do that with the calibration procedure. Calibration is saved into a standalone file so you can have different calibrations made and load up any of them into OXI One with the desktop app, this way you don’t have to repeat the calibration process each time you want to change it. I recommend to save your current calibration since it’s made on factory with high resolution instruments.

Check playback direction, random perform trig and retrig (100 and 0 respectively) of the track and trig per step (should be 100% too, trigger logic is there too).
Maybe there’s something on that you forgot about.

2 Likes

Might be Random Perform affecting just that row of the Multitrack. Can’t think of any other reason off the top of my head.

1 Like

Really enjoyed this one

1 Like

Got it sorted, thanks! I knew it was something I was doing wrong, just took me a bit to figure out what that was :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad it’s sorted! So cool you can affect individual lanes of a Multitrack with random conditions but it can be confusing at first haha. That vid sounded great by the way.

2 Likes

Yeah it got me a couple hours to wrap my head around the arranger. Definitely could use more than 2.5 pages dedicated to it.

1 Like

Trying to determine if this would be a good choice for me to bring some generative aspects to my Akai Force. I’d sync it to the Force and expand my Force’s sequencing capabilities, recording the outputs into the Force. Would you have any concerns about using it this way that I possibly am not thinking of?

Also, is it currently in stock? couldn’t be 100% sure on the website.

1 Like