Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Can I ask what you use to interface with the iPad? I’m looking for a peripheral that will allow me to connect the hapax to the usb-c port of my iPad and also allow me an audio out or two. . .

There are USB C hubs with 3.5mm stereo outs, but never more than that.
On the other hand you have class compliant audio interfaces with more I/O but no USB MIDI host capabilities, so Hapax would have to go to a MIDI input in the interface in any case.

In my case I use a little USB C hub without audio out, an audio interface and USB MIDI controllers connected to the hub.

2 Likes

You could try something like the iConnectivity Audio 4c or maybe a cheaper alternative audio interface integrated USB hub. Or you get a usb hub, get a usb audio interface and then connect your midi sequencer and audio interface to the USB hub and the hub to your ipad.

1 Like

I use of those USB hubs with a little usb-c tail and 4 usb-a ports, plus a cheap usb-a DAC. If I am feeling fancy, I can use an RME Babyface.

2 Likes

From watching four or five videos now, this is my biggest concern. I just ordered a Hapax anyway, though, because I think the compromise here, having different modes balanced against giving you access to different kinds of complexity as needed for different tasks, makes a lot of sense, despite its drawbacks.

I had the same idea–to use my Linnstrument with this, along with the Cobalt8m, Iridium and Hydrasynth, to see what kind of craziness I can create with this and MPE.

1 Like

The auto inversion in chord mode looks interesting, wonder if it works with other things like note spread and other chord modifications on as well?

2 Likes

Agreed! There’s certainly enough space in the 128-step grid for voicing modifiers to be added. I prefer playing my chords but it’s nice to have a chord generator there still, for experimentation that sort of stuff is great.

1 Like

So I’m just curious about this device, is it objectively better than Pyramid? And is there any reason to have it over the Deluge? (Besides running two sequences at once, but I bet Synthstrom would add even that if they got a few requests …)

1 Like

For my purposes hapax is leagues better than the pyramid (which I loved).

The grid of buttons offers so much more UI and so much more feedback than the 15 or so buttons of the pyramid. It is much much easier to make adjustments on a sequence, record live, and add nuanced step sequencing (with conditional trigs, ratchets, velocity, etc) the lfoa and Cc stuff is much easier to work with. Way less stuff is hidden in a second menu or button press combo. It does MPE.

The way of composing on the pyramid was kind of cool (a composition as a series of mute states) but honestly I don’t miss it too much. polyrhythm stuff is still easier to do on the pyramid (though polymeter is easier on the hapax) but none of that is high priority for me. Pyramid is still great, but, yes I think hapax is pretty close to objectively better.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thank you for this comparison! The more I read about alternatives to the Hapax, the more excited I get about the Hapax! :slight_smile:

My delivery date has been pushed to the end of June…I feel like Cartman waiting for the Nintendo Wii…

:joy:

3 Likes

How did you find this out, I’ve not been sent any info? Mine is due in June

Got an email from them stating this.

1 Like

I haven’t got an email yet. I ordered On 10/3/22 so been waiting ages, wonder if my will be delayed also?

Check your spam folder.
All the second batch is coming end of June due to COVID in China. I ordered on March 8.

1 Like

Are they making this one in China, or is it parts theyre waiting on?

So, have ppl been receiving their orders?

yes, Squarp is sourcing the parts in China for final assembly in France (as I understood the last email), although their factory is not apparently directly impacted by the recent COVID wave. but it did mean they couldn’t get the parts back to France as quickly as expected. but at least as of the most recent communication to June batch purchasers, they will be going out at the end of the month – so in the next week?

3 Likes

June batch is here, I have Received this e-mail today:

Handling of the shipment for your order with the reference *** is in progress.

You will be able to track your package soon, using the following link

:carousel_horse:

3 Likes

yep. got my email this AM too. Hapax babeeee

2 Likes

Oh no, I didn’t get an email yet… :grimacing: