Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Thanks for adding that I think I’m following a bit better now :slight_smile:

I map the Mod lanes to CV outputs in the ‘cv gate’ screen for use with the Pipe, so I never actually change the CC assignment myself.

2 Likes

Oh ok, that’s interesting, thanks for your answer, so if I want them to play together, I have to record them on a DAW or assign one of these two CCs to another encoder. Is it possible to copy/paste a modulation lane from one encoder to another encoder ?

As @natehorn said, you can have up to 8 CCs per Sequencer (1 to 4 buttons), that makes up to 32 CCs running at the same time, totally independent (init/end points, time division, smoothing…) or linked in OXI. If you want more than those 32 CCs, of course you need to record them on DAW :slight_smile:

The 32 CCs are easily accessible to edit and perform over them.

Regarding copy/paste, so far it’s only possible to do it on individual steps.

1 Like

Why don’t you just double your bpm? Genuine question - it’s what I’ve always done when coming up against problems like this

1 Like

Doubling BPM (or time division) makes the duration of the pattern shorter too if you use the 128 steps, so it’s not ideal if you want to keep that. But if you work with short patterns it can perfectly serve as workaround.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s one way to see it. It’s true that I can assign the 8 tracks of a multitrack sequencer to only one synth and then have 8 CCs simultaneously, and I can multiply this by 4 for just one synth.

The problem with new gear that you don’t have in front of you is that you always want the workflow to be the same as the gear you already have, or at least you compare workflows. I guess I’ll have to pull the trigger and see myself these little things with an Oxi one in front of me.

What I will say is that being able to ‘draw’ the modulation straight onto the grid is pretty darn cool - not only as a way to very quickly create specific ramps and undulations but also as a performance tool - it’s very tactile!

2 Likes

Oh don’t tell me about it. If you scroll up enough in this thread you’ll see my attempts to explain the system structure of OXI One to people owning Elektron boxes or other sequencers. It takes way more time to explain to people with fixed ideas on how other sequencer works than to unexperienced users, without OXI in front of you of course. Once you have it at hands reach it’s, IMHO, more straightforward than other machines.

And that goes for every feature that is shared among sequencers.

OXI has many workflows, but personally I’m always focused on making the instrument as performable as possible. Automating parameters is essential, but I also want to have the option to override automation and play with different parameters, and that’s only possible with a fluid UI and some tricks over the parameters, like offsets and quick switching.

MOD lanes, CV layout, Keyboards, ARP, Arranger among others, are a clear examples of that philosophy.

It’s up to the user to decide which workflow fits best to them, instead of imposing one.

5 Likes

@Zelio

This didn’t end up getting uploaded anywhere because I didn’t really like it but it’s when I started playing with this workflow and it really clicked! (there’s another mod lane which is alternating the model of Plaits between snare(ish) and synth - both those voices are from this one sequence!)

4 Likes

Fantastic again :smiley:

I wanted to give you one tip but it seems it doesn’t work as expected. That’s switching ON/OFF by pressing the respective encoder on MOD screen. CV is still sent, which I think is better in most cases since it only affects MIDI, but I think it’d be nice to have the option to affect CV too.

Another thing I noticed now, on CV layout switching an output off (clicking the active pad on the upper 4 rows) and tuning it on again, selects Pitch automatically instead of the last selected modulation source.

I’ll suggest to make the above more versatile, for example having an extra parameter on CV layout Mod selection to choose if the switch on MOD screen affects CV as well. Also to remember the last active modulation source when switching on the cv layout.

2 Likes

Definitely, reminds me of the OT LFO draw tool but even more hands on.

4 Likes

Thanks!!

Yea I’ve noticed a couple of quirks with that stuff - if you change the sequencer type you seem to lose CV assignments too (I think that’s what happened).

I actually thought the mods did turn off via CV when selecting the encoders - but the more I think about it that might have been when I was messing with the Ambika which would have been over Midi. I think I’d rather that work consistently across both, so good spot!

1 Like

The exposed parameters to cv/gate of each sequencer mode are different, so it’s somehow expected. Still, I’ll write down that too to see if at least when there’s a 1:1 match they can be kept. The ones different I guess should be defaulted and turned off.

Thanks again for the feedback. These things are very important to keep polishing the instrument.
Please, keep an eye on those and report them in the forum as feature suggestions!

3 Likes

Oh wait - you’re THAT Carlos!! Sorry I hadn’t cottoned on that you were from Oxi :joy:

I’m extra flattered that you like my videos then because your performances are what sold me on the Oxi! I even mentioned to Manuel how much I loved those videos :slight_smile:

But yes that does make sense actually - I think it was more between Mono and Stochastic - which I think have the same options - but generally I get why it would do that.

Edit: This is one of yours right @CarlosUnch? OXI One Showcase #13 - OXI Pipe, Eurorack, Volca Sample and OP-Z - YouTube

What a banger!

Some Nate Horn guy had this to say in the comments: “Very tempted by this sequencer. I’m currently a NDLR nerd but there are things this is doing that take it above for me - keeping a very close eye! Also, love this jam - has a real BICEP feel to it, the plaits having big SH-1 vibes!” (I actually meant SH-101…)

Looking at the date I made the comment I think I ordered one the same day :joy:

4 Likes

yeah I’m that Carlos!
In that video is actually Manu tho, dev and founder. It’s a banger definitely!

I have a few videos up, more focused on tutorials (walkthrough 2 3 4, Poly recording and Stoch), and also showcases #7 #8 and #10 is me.

Glad to see you connected so much with that video!

Just as PSA, I’m no longer active member of OXI (no economic relation), but I’m around ofc :wink:

3 Likes

Got it thanks :slight_smile:

The Pulsar-23 one was great I remember that!

1 Like

To be honest, that’s the only one I played that I didn’t care the viewer didn’t follow what was going on. The rest of my videos are tamed down, simple sequences with 1 or 2 layers, so it was clear what was going on, at the cost of sounding good.

4 Likes

Looking forward to giving better reviews very soon, but I’m off to such a slow start with this sequencer. Even the Octatrack seemed more intuitive to me the first day. Not sure why, but me and the Oxi just are not meshing at all so far!
Back to the manual and trying to find a decent tutorial!

Let me know if I can help you Snipe. The Oxi One has everything I need in a sequencer :grinning:

3 Likes

Feel free to share your pain points here or in the OXI forums. We’re always looking for things to improve in the software, manual and potential video tutorial material.

4 Likes