Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Sorry I posted this in another thread - bit spammy - but it’s a very ‘NDLR’ style performance on the Oxi

6 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply @natehorn :pray:
What “bothers” me with the Oxi from what I have gathered on YT demos is the amount of key combinations.
Regarding the rate, I am not sure what you mean as you can multiply/divide it (Motifs 1 & 2 anyway).
I am also interested in euclidian.
CV not being of utmost importance as of now.
Also from what I gather, you can sequence up to 8 parts per sequencer if in a particular mode I believe (drum mode).

With the division on NDLR you start at a base rate and can make it faster:

But on the Oxi you can divide OR multiply much more easily, so getting slow arps at normal BPMs is much easier!

I’ll be honest I haven’t found this to be an issue - and it was something I was also mildly concern by. You definitely have to learn some functionality, it’s not all ‘obvious’, but it’s also not too confusing and most of the stuff you actually want is right there. I haven’t heard anyone that uses it actually complain about this personally. And worth noting that coming from NDLR it’s an improvement either way - I’ve used that thing for a year and I still get confused about what to press and where to go. Not to be too critical of the NDLR of course, it’s a great sequencer and we’ve had a wonderful time together.

You can! Multitrack mode can have up to 8 tracks, and you can have 4 of those. It’s ideal for drums but totally usable for melodic stuff too. It’s a more straightforward sequencer mind - if you want the fancy stochastic mode (you’ll love it for your stuff!) thats its own sequencer type.

The mod lane stuff you would get great use out of for the Hydrasynth - i.e. you can have a sub-sequence doing the modwheel, or changing the PWM or whatever.

4 Likes

Correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trust me, it’s not key combo hell like some pieces of gear, and the combos that do exist are pretty logical. You want to adjust note trigger chance? Shift+Note. Want to adjust the note of an entire row in a Multitrack? Hold the first Note of the row+the Sequencer button. That’s as complex as it gets.

2 Likes

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing :smiley:

I was totally surprised how much independent MOD lanes would improve MODs as a whole. I’m usually focused more on performability, with motion recording, switching ON/OFF and offsetting the curves, but now it inspired me to use it as a ‘program change’ type of automation on my rack. For example selecting the I/O routing on a vc switch after many bars. That kind of very long lasting automation was only possible by changing patterns more often or with a DAW.

There’s been a lot of refinement on the navigation since the prototype we’ve sent to Ziv (1 year ago), specially for consistency so all the different modes behave the same (fixed and momentary screen behaviours, copy/paste, secondary parameter screens…). We’ve prioritized quick access over menu navigation since day 1, it may look less intuitive as new user but after a few days with it you realise the workflow it’s much faster this way. It’s an instrument meant to be played actively, so that comes with a bit of learning process.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @Claid
Appreciate the input and clarification :pray:

1 Like

This sounds great. I’ve barely touched the MOD capability of the Oxi One but really looking forward to digging in.

Just now I had the MI Grids mode sequencing three Max for Live instruments (kick, snare and hat). The nuances I was getting from the kick alone were very nice.

2 Likes

I had a blast on the first test of the engine routing it to a multisampled acoustic kit, metal style.
So many bangers. Play with density and chaos parameters, it’s tons of fun.

3 Likes

Similar here, I used it to control the Model on Plaits, enabling me to switch between a synth part and a snare drum on the same sequence - was totally wild!

2.1 improves on this a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you! Honestly, I just got it and haven’t had any real time to start the learning process. All I’ve done so far is a single, maybe two hour session just hunting and pecking trying to get a feel for it. The whole grid structure doesn’t come naturally to me :slight_smile: I came up with a pretty fun loop just sequencing 4 channels of my Kodamo EssenceFM, but had little idea what I was actually doing!

It was about the same time when the T1 and OXI ONE were released and I decided to go for the T1 and I am really happy with it.

I am also selling my NDLR right now, it is a great piece of gear, but at some point it was not quick enough in sessions to change certain things in your sequence, like velocity, etc.

I was actually looking at the Sqaurp Hapax to replace it, but noticed that the OXI ONE offers much more the things I am looking for and besides the fact that there is some overlap with the T1, there are so many more features the OXI offers that are really unique.

I wonder how well the T1 and OXI ONE work together? The T1 is a great, unique playground to create melodic loops of it own in all different ways based on algorithms and modulations. I wonder if the OXI ONE would integrate well harmonically…?

The muscle brain memory „issue“ is OK with me, I would anyhow probably pick the functions that are different to the T1 and my Keystep Pro…, so that’s less to memorize, yeah :wink:

2 Likes

I’d honestly stick with one. Two sequencers, especially with so much overlap, is just wasteful for me.

1 Like

Thanks for your honest opinion claid

Not sure if having them both is just wasteful though, they both have a really different approach to find good ideas, but I need to check the OXI better to find out more.

One thing that I like about the OXI ONE is the difference that I can trigger sounds by pressing pads and can interact much more this way, the T1 does not do, offer this. I also think that you would create very different ideas, even using them separately, since both machines have a different philosophy behind their machine.

But it certainly also depends how everyone gets connected with their gear. Being able to switch sequencers with different approaches if you feel like it is a plus for me personally.

Oxi One can do what the T1 can do (and more! albeit differently) so I think it might be kind of redundant - but if you like the workflows of both then you could certainly use them together. I still sequence my drums on the Digitakt - multiple sequencers can actually open even more creative doors!

2 Likes

Thanks @natehorn, actually your description about the NDLR above (thank you!) and the advantages the OXI ONE offers compared to the NDLR made me consider to have a closer look at it since I am selling my NDLR right now and beside my T1 I feel like something the NDLR offered me needs a good, better replacement. I am missing the NDLR in way, besides the fact I am really enjoying to work with the T1.

And yes, it is the great to be able to open more creative doors. if you feel like it.

1 Like

Great observation! I use the preview function every time I use the Oxi One, seems like a small thing on paper but it’s really not. Also I love being able to ‘scroll’ through sounds in a drum rack by having preview enabled while using an encoder to change the note on a step.

2 Likes

Sorry to bother you with another question, but these little things make a difference for me and, again, I can’t find this information : let’s say I record some modulation of CC1 with the first encoder on a mono sequencer. Then, I want to change the assignation of this encoder, assign it to CC2 and record some other modulation. Will the CC1 modulation be erased by the CC2 modulation or does the Oxi one keep this in memory ?

There’s a chance you’re talking about something I haven’t come across, but the Mod lanes take place on the grid and you have access to 4 simultaneously via the ‘Mod’ button.

So I’m not sure if I’m answering your question but on a mono sequencer you can have 4 independant mod lanes. And in the upcoming 2.1 firmware you have complete control over their start/end, division etc. (currently they’re in sync with the sequencer)

When in keyboard mode the 4th encoder can act as a ‘modwheel’ style input - maybe that’s what you mean?

2 Likes

So what happens is, once you change destination, all the lane parameters are kept (step values, smoothing, INIT/END…), but OXI no longer sends any message to the previous CC destination.

So yes, the modulation is kept, but not as creating an additional MOD lane on top of the 4 or 8 current ones.

2 Likes