Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

thought exactly the same.
pressure-sensitive pads would Linnstrumentize Oxi in addition to its Cirklonization

judging by pad controllers i own, technically it’s the same thing.
what we call velocity is initial pressure, and what we call polyphonic pressure is further chenges while the pad is held. it’s the difference in interpretation, but mechanical-wise it’s the same.

1 Like

That was a time killer … yes I remember … :shushing_face:

The linstrument pads detect X and Y position, not just pressure. Way more data.

1 Like

then i understand why Linnstrument costs what it costs.

1 Like

I have never really thought about it- I guess I assumed they were different as I have velocity sensitive pads that don’t have aftertouch…but that just may be not implement as you say. With a keyboard (bed) its obviously different, but it may be the same with pads unless there is 1 sensor that is very sensitive (for velocity scale) and another for ‘press hard’

@chaocrator No experience when the Oxi, but I took a stab at comparing it to the Deluge’s sequencer when someone asked over there. Probably missing a lot of things.

I think they have different use cases. Here’s my hella-subjective summary:

all-in-one portable groove box forged in Middle Earth with an intuitive interface uniquely suited to capture long performances and composition
OR
full-fledged sequencer begging to be the centerpiece of a modular setup equipped with performance tools and ready to generatively spice up 8 bar sequences to your heart’s delight

One big workflow difference I noticed from the Loopop video was navigating a sequence. On the Deluge, you have dedicated up/down + left/right knobs and can zoom both in and out (in the time domain). The Oxi requires a tiny menu drive to move up/down and uses buttons to move between bars.

Happy to answer any questions as a Deluge user :relaxed: this is a really interesting sequencer and I’m excited to follow it’s development

3 Likes

No, but it’s something that requires changes to the hardware and both the high- and low-level software, and it’s something that even the big guys (eg, :3lektron:) don’t get right all the time. I don’t doubt that they can do it, but I do worry it might result in delays.

The hardware that you see in videos is just prototype hardware, not the final production hardware, so I don’t think you have to worry much about “hardware changes”.

If the Oxi is already designed to respond to velocity and aftertouch over MIDI, then a change to the hardware design to accommodate velocity and pressure sensitive pads should not have a major impact.

1 Like

My few cents about sensitivity of the pads and how much can we expect.

I have an old MPC, a MPC X, Push 2, and AR … all with pads. My experience … subjective, of course is:

• The most consistent sensitivity I experience is on the MPCs. The pads are very sensitive … expression translates very natural to MIDI.
  • Push 2 pads are IMO not as sensitive and consistent. Many times I have to make corrections to the recorded velocities in Ableton, to get what I want.
  • The pads on the AR are … IMO … okay, somehow.

My question is, how good could those quite small buttons/pads on the OXI translate velocity and pressure consistently to MIDI?

TBH … in my case, I prefer a good keybed or the MPC pads to record live playing. All others take too much corrective action after recording to get, what I wanted …

Edit … maybe, if I was not clear enough … what I mean is translation of dynamics like playing “pianissimo”, “fortissimo”, and everything in between …

i don’t see Novation machines on your list.
latest Launchpad/Launchpad Pro and Circuit Tracks have excellent, very sensitive pads.
and they are small.

2 Likes

Good to hear this … reason for my list was that I wanted to talk only about gear, which I own and/or know :wink:

After some years of experience I dare to say, it’s not easy to design great pads. But maybe that guys like me, coming from the piano, are demanding too much :wink:

ARmk2 Pads are okay, I would rate the Maschine mk3/Maschine+ Pads over the MPC ones, but that might be preferences. I really like the LP3 Pads too.

I was looking at this but for my purposes the
Torso electronics T1
is better for generative sequencing
If you have missed it I’d recommend a deeper dive

2 Likes

Pad talk always strikes up a fierce debate, can’t you just automate pitch and velocity in the sequencer anyway?

I’ve backed too :smiley: Although I just got the Torso T-1 which I’m very happy with this Oxi One looks amazing too!

I’d say that the strech goal of velocity/pressure is far higher on my request list than that carrying case which I think anyone who needs can easily order themselves. I’m surprised it’s even possible to add these features for so many small buttons. Please Oxi - go for this and do it properly.

In regards to the layout of the transport buttons mentioned here earlier I’d like to see the Record - Play - Stop order like all Elektron machines have.

1 Like

Hey there!

Torso T1 is an amazing little sequencer you all should check!

In future updates, probably before release, we have planned to add new Sequencer modes based on generative engines. The current ones are just the foundation of many more to come :smiley:

4 Likes

It’ll prolly be Stop - Rec - Play :smiley:

I’d rather see the present order then.

Oh yeah, in many different ways actually.

You have the random perform screen, the LFOs, we plan to add motion recording on vel as well and if that were little you have a global offset control so you can perform over real time automation, affecting all steps individually.

For me pressure sensitive pads appealing is aftertouch always.
I get more dynamic patterns by automating velocity with the tools above.

Ah, velocity is linked to the amplitude of our AD envelopes on the cv outputs.

4 Likes

Would you please elaborate?