Overbridge troubles should be a lesson learned

Paying beta testers (as long as they know they are beta testers!) are also far more likely to be more useful, being critical of ommisions, missing features and bugs - than a select few “yes men” or flavour of the month artists or whatever who may get the item for free - simply because they have made a financial commitment and are more likely to spend time using it.
I have no idea if Elektron do this or not though, but I have noticed certain youtubers getting machines even before they are announced - and are they really going to look a gift horse in the mouth? Are they really going to offer valuable feedback, or are they more likely to act as an ambassador and promote sales, whilst not mentioning problems - sure looks that way sometimes.

5 Likes

I’m learning to avoid some of these early access types - or at least to take their gushing praise with a pinch of salt. We usually see the capabilities of the machines - this is useful - but negatives are all too often glossed over in my experience.

Only a few media outlets strike the right balance between supportive and realistic - and these are not usually the ones getting the early looks.

1 Like

TBH I tend to avoid them now too, too much positivity and not one criticism isn’t useful at all.

1 Like

These kind of “reviews” are the worst…

2 Likes

I’m tempted to start a youtube channel “honest gear reviews” :rofl:

8 Likes

You make a valid point. I think I’m going to cancel my DN order. Either deadlines don’t matter to Elektron or they wanted the release to be better received- that’s how it seems. Also the Pro-Elektron people really pushed me over the edge.

I’ll buy when they get their business practices cleaned up

4 Likes

Problem is, not many places have enough money to be able to not take early/gratis/loaner review units and/or, for larger releases, product presentation reps. Gear makers know this and by default this puts objectivity in question.

This is the reason I nearly always go by on workflow style videos.

1 Like

You’ll be much better off than goin to the crossfader and fallin down on your knees…

1 Like

I didn’t pre-order, but despite really liking the look of DN I’m going to wait till it’s a more mature product. Who knows what else may catch my eye by that point. And we may even see better pricing / offers down the line.

It would have been an insta-buy for me, if I’d been happier with the experience of DT. But enough is enough.

2 Likes

I kinda think if overbridge worked it’d be out by now…

Reading through this (and the other related) Threads makes me want the Machinedrum times back …

I said it just a few years ago: Elektron grew up too fast, they might have taken on too much. Threads like this show me that i was right :frowning:

1 Like

I was really excited with the announcement and it sounded great, I just don’t want to support this company with its current practices. It’s a shame, it really is

I recently read this article, and it gave me a ton of insight with regards to what Elektron is doing, and plans on doing in the future. I highly recommend reading it.

http://www.latlmes.com/world/what-to-make-of-elektron2018-1

8 Likes

I was hoping that’s what that was

1 Like

Problem is you can talked about gear only after 2 years life cycle :slight_smile: (at least)
(it’s kind like Stimming reviews the Elektron Digitakt right ?)

Absolutely agree with this.

I’d honestly cancel any preorders at this point in time.
If you are needing OB integration you would be absolutely mad to order an Elektron product at this point in time.
Wait for a year or two, three, four, or however long it takes for a stable working release of OB.

How man of you lot wasted company time blathering in this thread? Therefore you may not have an extra piece of coal for the fire and I don’t care if your ink is frozen. You may have Christmas Day, but be all the more early the next!

I wasn’t expecting immediate OB integration- I just thought it would be a fun companion for my Digitakt. Even now, I swear that it’s not the lack of OB that bothers me, but more that both things were promised(a month before NAMM) and then missed both deadlines(announced after a plethora of orders were placed)

That really bugs me. And then these people defending Elektron basically giving the consumers that our concerns don’t matter to Elektron. Well- maybe you’re right…

The best way to voice any concern with a company and their products is to not purchase their products to begin with.
Take Behringer for instance, I despise their business model, so therefor refuse to buy anything they release

4 Likes