Overbridge troubles should be a lesson learned

It is Overbridge enabled… its just that the version of Overbridge that is required isn’t ready for public release yet… everyone knew when they bought that box, that the software didn’t exist yet…

I only bother because Elektron are still small enough to listen to their user base. If it was a big multinational corporation I wouldn’t even think about it… plus I am not as interested in their products as I am in Elektron’s.

Not interested in the internal workings of Elektron here, my relationship with them is limited to a transfer of my cash for their device, which I expect certain functionality from (based on their marketing), and a certain level of support if there’s problems.

They haven’t met my expectations in these regards and to rub salt into the wound I feel ‘managed’ at least, if not actually lied to. Not a good way to start what I hoped would be a lasting customer-supplier relationship where I buy more of their products over time.

7 - I think the number one thing they could do for me is to start showing a little honesty about progress and genuine humility. Whether intentional or not, I feel like bad news has been dribbled out to fit objectives around the DN and ARII launches, and NAMM.

Please Elektron, avoid giving me this impression in the future. Your customers, your brilliant products and your doubtlessly talented staff deserve better!

3 Likes

What surprises me is nameless faceless strangers that could easily be friends are turned against each other over a synthesizer companies business practice…

I would hope somehow we can not let this turn us against each other before we’ve even really met, it doesn’t seem worth it to me…
I really think people are important…

2 Likes

Very true, i think people are frustrated, most of us all to enjoy our kit in the end anyway :smiley:

That is true. And I love my Digitakt either way, with or without OB. But, to a less informed consumer who doesn’t spend time researching and going on forums, Elektron has been very misleading (deadlines/promises aside). I mean, look at the Digitakt landing page on their site

1 Like

The thing is. It’s not the lack of overbridge that’s making me want to cancel my order for the Digitone. It’s more the people that are defending Elektron that are making me want to cancel my order. The people that are insinuating that no one has a right to be frustrated or annoyed- it makes me want to do my part to signal what ever influence I have in the market as a consumer

5 Likes

I make no judgement of the people I am responding to, nor the words they say. I am merely responding… I disagree with the words I am reading, it’s not conflict, it’s differing opinion…

And the people saying, “it’s hardware, you don’t need OB. Get over it”. C’mon!

2 Likes

Precisely.

“Man, that sucks that Overbridge was delayed again”

“Mind your own business and stop telling the company what to do-they don’t NEED you! Just shut up and play your instrument. Or sell it.”

3 Likes

You may want to read it yet again. Or maybe don’t.

It’s all good, I just can’t help playing the role of peacekeeper now and again, it’s in my blood…
I don’t hold anything against anyone, humans will be humans… :slight_smile:

1 Like

From another perspective…

People have owned Elektron products for longer than the Digitakt and Digitone have been around. And OB has been around longer too… And these issues have come up regarding OB and the A4, and everyone jumped on the ‘it’s not fair’ bandwagon regarding the last OB release, and the release before that. And it’s initial release was delayed multiple times…

And nothing has changed… Elektron still release information sporadically, and sometimes there are delays, and sometimes set backs, and sometimes things change all together…

I just don’t understand why people think buying a product means they are stakeholders in the business…

I don’t understand why these customers would want to be valued as customers either. At least Hans Solo’s post is a sorta imaginary relief to help calm people down about a company delivering only new products and empty promises. “What would make you all feel better as consumers?” It’s not like a petition- it’s not a message to corporate, it’s talking amongst ourselves after being let down.

AND they made a NEW ALBUM?! Goodness!

It‘s a very straightforward question to those that earn their money in the software industry. You could call it professional curiosity if you will. It‘s not meant as advice to Elektron nor consolation for those that feel cheated. I don‘t care if Elektron do any of these things or not. I just want to learn, because I have been and will be in similar situations in my professional life and I think what we‘re witnessing with Overbridge is a text book example.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I can only comment for how I interpreted it

1 Like

Come my brother together with Elektron we will make it to the promised Land (overbridge ready).

1 Like

One thing that I think allows companies to pre-sell as yet non existent features promised as coming soon or whatever, is that as consumers we just accept it and part with the cash - now I am not for one moment suggesting that Elektron are deliberately misleading their customers, I believe that they believed they could deliver on time.

However we see time and again with many companies that deadlines are missed, and on some occasions the company disappears before delivering on promises, I doubt that most of these companies ever envisioned not meeting their commitments, but as we all know shit happens.

Bottom line is that unless consumers stop pre-ordering, or buying features that are coming soon etc this kind of thing will continue to happen, buy what it does now not what it will do in the future.

Another thing that I have noticed is a change in the way that Elektron do things now, previously public beta tests were the way that early batches were sold, customers were made aware that the product was not finished before buying and on that basis could decide if to buy or wait, a discount was offered to beta testers. I think it was around the time of the AR that this stopped, and the whole pre-order idea came about, I notice that from the AR onwards OS dev time seemed to increase and also become less frequent across the range, maybe a coincidence or maybe other factors were the cause, either way I think a public beta is a much better idea than having lots of disgruntled customers moaning online because the OS is buggy or whatever.

8 Likes