Overbridge troubles should be a lesson learned

Ok, so you create a sysex file, transfer all the associated files and zip them together or something? So someone could make a project on a digitakt, do that, send it to me and I can import it into my DT?

I get all that. I personally would like OB functionality for backup and in order to use DT as a sole interface while travelling with a small synth or two. Of course that could be achieved with class compliant usb streaming and MIDI clock sync pretty much, so OB is a complication here.

If the wider functionality of OB works ok on my setup at home (where I have LOTS of interfaces, ADAT, and flexibility) then great. But if it doesn’t play nice with my DAW/rest of setup, I’ll use it for backup/file management and get on with my life.

Different people want different aspects of what’s been promised, and I’m not going to sit here and say their needs aren’t right - they’ve bought their gear having read Elektron’s promises with their own needs in mind. I’m very wary of saying that Elektron should drop functionality that isn’t important to me - because it could well be to others.

Fingers crossed this all works out, but I’m already sore about the delay, and the rather irritating way this is being handled.

1 Like

UNBELIEVABLE! Elektron made a movie?!?!

1 Like

I get what Alex is saying. I don’t use overbridge at all. I love using hardware that is why I but electron equipment. For me there is no better hardware on the market today to be creative with.

1 Like

You can sysex backup everything but samples currently. This came with DT firmware 1.05.

Everything except user samples will be backed up and can be sent to another DT, that is what sysex is about.

I am a heavy DAW user, so I don’t care one little bit about funny views of people who aren’t, but seriously want to generalise their views.

1 Like

Overbridge was a smart move. It is an added value on the value proposition scale. Because it is not important to you, does not make it a bad decision.

Imagine if that mindset was used when the car was orginally ushered in: we’d all still be ignorantly preferring horses.

2d

1 Like

Ok, but will they reference the correct samples if you import the samples as well?

I don’t have a DT but the Rytm IDs samples quite well.

Without Overbridge, Elektron would simply lose a big part of their user base.

And for their future user base and economic success, people recording Elektron gear into their DAWs will easily outnumber those, who are limiting it to live use.

Simple as that, and Elektron is certainly aware of it.

1 Like

Elektron gear is more than the Digitakt.

Ok, cool. I’ll check that out later. Must have missed that part of the update :slight_smile:

It is obvious that this forum is floated with hardware dinosaurs.

Still, I strictly deny you any use of “not why WE use xy”. Talk for yourself and some hardware nerds, and leave people with their nowadays recording projects with their own perspective, which is FAR from yours.

I as Elektron MkII user want the exact opposite development of you and your likes: I want as much software integration as possible, and USB besides the single analog outs.

I have 12 anaolog ins from my MOTU 828ES as well (used for my keyboard synths, Rhodes and Mic), and more over ADAT. But I happen to carry around my Elektron Analog Rytm MkII for ideas and beat making. How stupid would it be to plug all the analog outs in and out, when I can have the same audio channels with one USB cable??? It is really beyond me, how some people in here are arguing.

2 Likes

Knock yourself out! (means: go for it), and enjoy the software and the USB.
I really don’t think elektron got to this point because they made Overbridge. Without that sequencer nobody would care about their gear.

In all honesty, the market for usb enabled devices is huge. And many buyers won’t get anything they can’t connect by USB.

If you don’t have a mixer, or a multi input separate interface, but you want to make some music, you buy one that works over usb. The number of people in that position is huge nowadays.

That’s why we have Roland boutiques, aira etc selling well. Not keeping up with this trend (whether we hardware people like it or not) costs a lot of sales.

@Alex Case “enjoy the software and the USB” ???

Are you kidding?

And in sharp contrast to you I think Elektron would get nowhere at all in nowadays market, without Overbridge and USB.

The elektron boxes already have a USB port for MIDI and sample transfer (your mileage may vary , :joy:) . Those who want grooveboxes that transmit multichannel audio over USB are those who don’t understand that they will be better off with a different apporach :slight_smile:

No, just use what you want to use, if it works for you.

You’re right, but Digitakt is hardly their only overbridge enabled product.

2d

Fancy or not, this is my view. I am glad to hear that you do not care but I am wondering why you read a forum if you dont care about others view and, above all, why you post even a reply if you really dont care?

1 Like