Overbridge troubles should be a lesson learned

@AlexCase
Well, I obviously can’t use Overbridge at all, for an unknown time, so your remark " “enjoy the software and the USB” is quite misplaced, isn’t it?.

The bigger boxes have real individual outs so the issue is mostly about the DT and soon the Digitone. Elektron have taken a different direction and I believe it’s a mistake, that’s my point.

3 Likes

And how is the multichannel audio over usb streaming working out with those?

The boutiques also cost half the price or less, Elektron cannot compete with Roland in that market.

Bring back the days of the Machinedrum!

I totally agree with the OP. I would have bought the recent releases it they had individual outs. USB can coexist with individual outs but it can never replace them. The size also isn’t an argument here. Just give it a breakout box with a tiny connector on the main unit, problem solved.

1 Like

@Zepafra: I said I don’t care about users who “seriously want to generalise their views.”
I did NOT say I don’t care about other’s views.

Do you understand the difference?

I don’t own them all, but they work fine by USB, if you’re using one at once, in my experience. TR-8 multis work well, and you can even choose not to use 96kHz sample rate nowadays on the TR-8 driver :smiley:
Multiple boxes, aggregate devices etc… performance is variable. Easier (if you have one) to use an interface and the audio outs.

Kind of what I’m expecting with OB if honest!

Imagine someone buying their first gear, who doesn’t have an audio interface, mixer or a midi interface. They want to get into this stuff, or at least to dip a toe in and see if they want to get more later. They saved up, and walk into a music shop and theres two drum machines:
1 - takes MIDI in and has Line Outs. They need to buy 1-2 interfaces and maybe software too.
2 - Can be connected to their computer with one cable and used today without any extra outlay with a pack in ‘lite’ version of a popular DAW included in the box.

Which one do they buy? The value add is a useful proposition that is likely to swing them.

2 Likes

I really have not heard many people buying the Roland boutiques because of USB audio.
Home users on low budget are generally OK with a stereo out and the FX that come built into the gear.

2 Likes

Nobody wants to generalize anything here (I started my comment with the formula “in my opinion”)…things are different and pretty simple dude, reading the stuff you wrote It seems you came here pretending to be Arthur Fonzarelli.

Do you understand the difference?

Not so sure on that, I think Roland major on this point with TR-8 in particular with the idea you can use it as a soundcard with 2 external inputs being mentioned in their marketing and a number of reviews. Just looking on instagram I see loads of mini set-ups that people are proud of - and are enjoying using - that have no mixer, and often no audio interface as well. Hard to imagine a few years ago.

Anyhow, I have inputs for days here and lots of analogue gear that never sees a USB port. One thing I would say is personally, I would rather have 4 HW Outs on DT, and backup via USB file transfer, than OB. But others will be craving all that promised streaming. C’est la vie.

1 Like

They will crave forever until they understand that they are going the wrong way. And really the fact we’re comparing Elektron gear to Roland boutiques and AIRAs is sad.

I haven’t heard of people starting out on hardware at all. Usually people start out with something like Ableton. And many stick to it till the end, especially if available hardware options only tie you back to the computer. Also the Boutiques aren’t a great comparison because they are not multi timbral. (Except for the drum machines but they only offer 4 virtual outs anyway).

1 Like

USB 2.0 should be able to handle 8 tracks of streaming w/ ease. I have a feeling that what is likely holding up OB is limitations of the DT CPU. Not enough cycles or RAM available to buffer things and keep latency reasonable. I think this is a big reason they put two cores in the DN. It would look pretty bad to release OB for DN that works as advertised, and a crippled version for DT.

At this point I’d be fine with USB streaming of the stereo out, and the 2x2 interface. would make integration with Ableton in a live setting easy, no mixer needed.

Plus, just like OB, the USB audio from those inferior machines has been problematic from what I hear.

ADAT out would be far better, I agree.

Like I said the problem is trying to combine that with another audio interface/sound card. Sync nightmare.

1 Like

I agree there are loads of people who only ever use ITB/software. I was one of them for a few years after I decided to sell all my hardware. Now I have swung back the other way.

Some of the ITB people look at hardware with envious eyes and think ‘maybe I should just get one thing, a drum machine, that would really add to what I’m doing…’ and from there, they have to start making choices about interfaces and connections and drivers etc etc etc.

I am easy with people preferring one over the other, after all I have preferred both at different times myself. So I don’t think there is a ‘right way’ - only a way that works for the customer who after all, will need to pick gear for their own purposes with there being many pros and cons with any piece of gear. All this is in the context of how it fits together with the stuff they already have, and the stuff they’re planning to get.

Personally, I would really like a Digitakt ADAT edition. Now that would be great :smiley:

1 Like

What about those who started out when hardware was the only option.:smiley:

Not a big deal. Nobody really needs 8 outs to be in sync. It’s for printing. Monitor the mains through your cue mixer.

looking at the context of the thread wouldn’t hurt.

Hey! I can ride a horse but not drive a car! :wink:

2 Likes