Overbridge in macOS Sierra

I guess that what you reported as working ! is probably because you have made an update from El Capitan with Overbridge already Installed. But maybe (and i said maybe) it’s not the same when you make a clean install (i mean create usb stick with bootable sierra, erase hard drive, then clean install) THEN when you install Overbridge it’s (maybe) should be different and not working as in your case. SO TAKE CARE EVERYONE TO BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE TRY

1 Like

It is working William, as I said above.

In fact - I finally have the fully working Overbridge system I hoped it would be!

I’ve got 6 channels running from A4 and simultaneously, the same from Rytm! Previously, on El Capitan, I could only run a stereo channel from each. This is a major step forward for me!

1 Like

I not said it’s not working i said it should be different behaviour when you make a CLEAN INSTALL (Install SIERRA from Nothing on hard drive) rather to MAKE AN UPGRADE from EL CAP to SIERRA

If you made a clean install, update 10.12.1, install overbridge and it’s working.
SO it’s cool then no need to be worry

1 Like

My only concern with this method is - what happens when you then install the Overbridge / Virus TI update for Sierra? Shouldn’t be an issue on paper, but you never know with these things.

2 Likes

Plus what about People who want to use Ableton Live in 32 bits mode because of 32 bits Plugins…
With that Extraction ? Plus what about warranty covering with software user modification if it’s damage the Machine… i do not Know just have that in mind :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be a problem Simon. In the worst case, an uninstall and a re-install will cure it.

This method is merely removing the 32 bit drivers from the system.

I honestly can’t see this causing any permanent damage (for what it’s worth, although I’m not a Mac expert, I’m a software engineer who’s worked on drivers for 30+ years).

Btw, I’ve got Virus working. I had to:

Uninstall my existing 5.1.3 suite completely, reboot, then install the 5.1.3.0v2 suite.

Looks like Access still haven’t properly sorted out their upgrading of the suite…

2 Likes

Thanks for the assuring answer!

1 Like

This has nothing to do with the overbridge plugin that Live (or another host) uses. This modifies the kernel extension (driver) to only contain the 64 bit driver instead of a universal binary containing the 32 and 64 bit.

As an experienced apple developer, I can assure you that

1. It doesn’t harm the OS
  2. Is easily reversible (reinstall overbrige or copy from the backup)
  3. Should work on new installs and upgrades

There’s nothing groundbreaking or mysterious about the technique.

4 Likes

Yeah this is a lot like copying a suspected bad pref file to see if it went corrupt or is causing an issue (run into this a lot with Adobe stuff on our Macs at work).

I’m excited to see that audio performance is increased in Sierra. I have a 2013 Mac Pro, 12-core 2.7GHz with 64GB of RAM, it should be rocking and rolling but with even with a fresh El Cap install there always seems to be something amiss with it. To the point where I’m considering dumping Cubase (I’ve been a user since 2000) to see if Logic will improve performance.

I wasn’t even considering going to Sierra but now that you guys mention USB audio improving…well…

@esperdiv @Purusha
Can you guys described better. It’s not working for me…

EDIT :
It’s ok i have to uninstall overbridge. Re-install and follow the exact same procedure. And i admit it works. So nice workaround without deactivate SIP - THANKS

1 Like

@Purusha @esperdiv thank you guys so much. It really works. Awesome.

3 Likes

@13pm I don’t deserve any credit for this. Just happy that I can finally get Overbridge on Sierra.

Question is: If it was so simple, why didn’t Elektron post a quick / dirty update? There was no code change required on their part…

I didn’t have to reinstall Overbridge at all. My El Capitan version was still installed, unused, in a dark and lonely corner of my hard drive. In any case, glad you got it working.

Hey all, thanks for the tip!

I can confirm the 10.12.1 release alone didn’t fix the issue.

I tried the steps above but that didnt seem to work either. Re-installed Overbridge, rebooted. Still no joy.

Tried one more time, REBOOTED AFTER - Boom! Working, even better than before.

Just make sure to reboot after carrying out the steps (think someone said no reboot necessary above).

1 Like

You only need rebooting if you have loaded Overbridge previously in the session. As you are modifying the driver, if it’s already loaded, it needs to reload again.

For those that don’t want to reboot, you can run this command before trying Overbridge again, after patching:

sudo kextunload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext

Consensus seems to be that it needs to be performed on a new install. I wonder why that is! In any case, glad it’s working for you @swarm

1 Like

yep, working well for me. Thanks so much for the help! Didnt realise how dependent on overbridge I’d become :smiley:

1 Like

Why does it take such a fucking long time to get this shit working? This is really the worst customer service ever. I only work through overbridge and you should be noticed already that there’s coming a new OS upgrade. Its more than a month ago and still there is no update… I dont even work without this…

1 Like

I guess as Analog Heat is part of Overbridge, rework Overbridge for AR-A4-AK and now AH make sense… it will probably coming very soon i guess

It’s pretty typical for audio hardware and software to take awhile catch up after an os release. There’s many other companies who don’t have updated drivers yet. There are compilation lists of compatibility on sites such as sweetwater. It’s recommended to check such lists for all the products you use and make sure they are compatible before upgrade. Most pro audio folks won’t even upgrade for quite some time, and many will always stay an os or two behind. Apple continues to provide security updates for its last two os’s, so Yosemite and el cap are still supported, no reason to update your audio computer right away. This is nothing new, and if you google around you will find what I’ve written time and time again. Oh, and it probably takes awhile because it’s super crazy complicated to the max…

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Overbridge 1.10 Problems