Analog Heat

I noticed the soundcard is not 96 hz, but 48 hz is this an issue or not.

Finally had a chance to read the manual fully. Seems like you can also use the heat as a de-esser and as a decent expander!

The only thing that IMO is missing is being able to unlink the channels for righteous M/S processing (and if I’m being greedy, 1 more parametric eq band), but even like this the heat is more tempting than I originally estimated.

With a little bit more fleshing out, this coulda been a good swiss-knife audio tool for any audio engineering situation! With easy DAW integration via OB, I feel this to be a missed opportunity somewhat. Perhaps some updates will be coming along in the future.

1 Like

Depends on the conversion quality AFAIK. “when in doubt 96k” approach is safer if the filtering on the ADC is compromized, but with a well engineered frontend and a nicely matching converter, 48k is totally game. 96k without a good clock is more prone to jitter anyway, right?

I look for setup ideas using the heat as a soundcard for mixing in ableton so you could prelisten songs via headphone. maybe splitted via prelisten via mac headphone outputs and master or channel heat to the main stage …

Now i just wish Elektron would create an app for tabled devices, mirroring ob setting to ipad, or just the small lcd screen bigger on mobile device for us elder people needing two differnt glasses, one for near and one for far .

Just noticed on the elektron site that it states “OB support coming soon”…is it not good to go as is and as was demonstrated in the sonicstate demo? If so, any estimation of when it will be OB ready?

I’ve seen no mention of this here and almost ordered, but then I just caught this small asterisk footnote. This is a concern for me as my intended use is 100% OB related!

@Zwolf
People post a work around here at the end of the post feel free to try or contact them

Oh, if it’s just a Sierra issue no problem for me - happily using OB on Yosemite :smile:

Still, it’s ambiguous as stated on the site. I’m sure Simon will clarify…

What do I need to use Overbridge?
You need a computer (Win/Mac OS) and DAW software. We recommend that the computer has Intel i-series processors or AMD equivalent. Windows Vista or lower is not supported, as well as Mac OS 10.6 and older.

So Yosemite is OK :wink:

1 Like

actually 48 kHz is better for the workflow than 96 kHz. Your DAW Project wont use as many cpu resources at 44,1/48 kHz. 96 kHz really takes a lot of cpu power. Thats why I dont like to use the TR-8 in USB-Audio-Mode, because Roland only supports 96 kHz. From Sound quality, its really hard to tell a difference. 24 Bit is important, but 96 kHz mostly not.

Cheers,
Goat

3 Likes

I would see only one potential interest for the 96 kHz : it should be interesting when one wants to timestretch the recording in the DAW afterwards, this should give less artefacts I guess, if I’m correct.

i guess not. The TS quality is dependent on the stretching algorhythm, not the sampling rate. But I didnt try that out personally, so Im not 100%sure. What I heard from Roland is, they say at 96 kHz virtual analog simulations are sounding better. but AH has real analog and just needs to make A/D and D/A conversions, so 44,1/48 kHz is absolutely fine, thats the rate I always mix at.

2 Likes

Timestretching quality depends of the algorithm, of course, but I would thing that sampling rate (and bitrate) really make a difference for the same TS algo.

they should use oversampling internally anyway, so it shouldnt make a difference

Don’t know… you know, the basic timestretch algorithm basically change the pitch.
If you change the pitch down, you begin to see artefacts quite quickly.
I would say that it happens less quickly with 96kHz than with 48 kHz.
Like, one octave later.

But there are strong chances that I have no clue what I’m talking about !!
:loopy:

Lack of sequencer equals lack of purchase. There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about this device. Stereo Filters and Distortions are not the things of legend like some people around here think. It’s interesting and sounds good, but not revolutionary. They created one of the most irritating “teaser” campaigns on the planet and this is what they came up with? Ughh, I think I’ll be ignoring Elektron until I see a proper Octa 2 at this point, which maybe never as they don’t seem to care about external MIDI sequencing anymore.
I can’t believe I’m saying this but Behringer actually seems to be doing it right…did we fall into opposite world?

1 Like

Yeah but you completely put overbridge on the side. So it’s revolutionary because of that.

• no need to be revolutionary if your hears are flattered by the results and you like the sound you get with something GET IT… it’s not always need to be revolutionary !!! is music is revolutionary since 10 years (in Electronic Music) certainly Not … !!! I guess few artist let’s say i can count on my 10 fingers are kick me but it’s old school anyway, modernized in the good way… but it’s not revolutionary.
1 Like

@BonfireTest I was thinking the same before the SonicLab demo.
You can still see improvements :

• distortions seem way more versatile than A4 and AR ones
  • the envelope follower coupled with filter is something new
  • analog EQ is new as well

But apart from this, what is really new is that it’s an FX that seems to distort the sound in a way that is very controllable, especially because of the presence of the three buttons Drive, Wet Level and Dry/Wet.
In the end, I felt like in several places Dataline really managed to focus on interesting deformations.

Now the idea of providing a box that would change the sound is such a controllable way seems a good one to me.
It’s bringing the old trinity into analog territory, somehow. Can’t wait to try.

1 Like

Yeah i agree it will gives the octatrack, the Overdrive +++ of the Analog Series … or a Master Overdrive +++ As all people claim sample is superNICE in Analog Rytm let see the same way on the OT with AH

what’s so revolutionary about the behringer deepmind 12? it is NOT multi-timbral. pretty disappointing considering it’s a DCO synth. sounds good for pads, and the FX section with guitar amp simulation etc sounds great. For performance it looks horrible, and even has a load time between patches causing audio drop outs :frowning: it also has a fan to keep the internals cool. Easy pass for me.

I think the revolutionary part of the AH is the modulation capabilities. Yes, there are many distortion/saturation/eq/filter units you can buy. How often do you find all these features in one unit with CV and MIDI control with all the modulation destinations. Pair that with a digital envelope follower as well as the 8 different analog circuits and you have a serious multi purpose tool for the studio.

It’s not for everyone, but for anyone who wants to experience what having a nice analog front end to capture your elektron boxes sounds like, this is the unit for you. After using plenty of the UAD plugs with the preamps of my apollo processing the elektron boxes, i’m really excited to have a hands on unit that can offer some of the same flavor that some of these plugs provide ITB

much easier to transport than my 500 series rack and expensive transformer balanced AD converter to the venue too :wink:

1 Like

F****** Agree too