Overbridge 2.0.35 Public Beta

Overbridge 2.0.35 Public Beta

A lot of the changes this time might not be directly visible as they are mainly under the hood. You should, however, see a more optimised driver, some drop-in CPU usage and a smoother UI.

We added Studio One and Logic to the DAWs we think works alright with Overbridge so that should now be Ableton, Logic, Studio One and Bitwig. There are still a few things to do in Reaper and Cubase.

Improvements since last version (2.0.31)

Driver:

• New Windows driver
  • New macOS driver
  • Crash and performance fixes for both

Plugin & Standalone:

• Graphics should now be much smoother on parameter changes and easier on the GPU/CPU
  • Fixed an issue with text input on high-resolution sliders
  • Added some missing tooltips
  • Fixed an issue with Analog Four/Keys Gate length parameter
  • Fixed an issue with external modulation for Digitone from the plugin
  • Fixed an issue where the speed multiplier couldn’t reach x128
  • Fixed an issue where the switches in the plugins would toggle on right-click
  • Fixed a crash with AU in Reaper
  • Various minor bug fixes and improvements

Other:

• EULA added to the macOS installer
  • Overbridge as a whole should now be easier both on the CPU and the GPU.

This is a public beta, as opposed to a stable release. As a result, we encourage you to submit any queries or issues to our support channels. The public beta will continue until we are in a position to release a stable version. Make sure you read the manual, the topic How to report issues and the section below with Known Issues.

Functionality
Each Elektron Overbridge device typically exposes all individual track/voice channels as separate USB Audio channels, for multi-track recording into DAWs. Some Elektron Overbridge devices such as the Analog Rytm and Analog Four also allow you to route audio from a computer host into individual track audio paths for intricate processing. The Analog Heat acts entirely as a sound processing unit. The plugin routes audio from your computer host, through the effects chain and back into the host. All Elektron Overbridge devices allow you to play audio from the computer host directly to the device’s main output, making the device act as a sound card for playing back music etc. The Overbridge Control Panel application is bundled together with the drivers, providing a simple channel monitor for your devices.

The suite includes

• Audio over USB functionality for all Overbridge-enabled devices
  • Overbridge Control Panel
  • Overbridge Engine
  • Standalone Editor for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone
  • VST Plugin macOS and Windows for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone
  • AU Plugin for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone

USB Audio drivers for Windows and macOS
The USB Audio Drivers will expose Audio and MIDI-interfaces for Elektron Overbridge devices.
On Windows, WDM and ASIO audio interfaces are provided.
On macOS, HAL and CoreAudio audio interfaces are provided.

Standalone Editor for Windows and macOS
The Standalone Editor allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices parameters via a GUI desktop application and also managing sounds and samples on the device.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the standalone editor.

VST Plugin for Windows and VST/AU for macOS
The Plugin allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices and stream audio via a VST Plugin. This makes it possible to sequence, sync and automate the device with your DAW. Audio will be streamed to the plugin making it possible to use your audio interface of choice in your DAW while still receiving audio from your unit.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the VST/AU Plugin.

Total Recall
This feature lets you save projects from Overbridge enabled devices into your DAW’s project.

Total Recall can be enabled by pressing its icon in the plugin. The unit will then sync the project files with the DAW. When opening a DAW project that has Total Recall enabled and a synced project the unit will ask you to confirm that you want to transfer the project from the DAW to the unit’s active project. Any unsaved projects will be lost.

Firmware
This beta release requires you to have the listed firmware installed on respective units. These are beta OSs and are not guaranteed to work in any other setup.

• Analog Four mkI/mkII running OS 1.40A
  • Analog Keys running OS 1.40A
  • Analog Rytm mkI/mkII running OS 1.50A
  • Analog Heat mkI/mkII running OS 1.20
  • Digitakt running OS 1.11
  • Digitone and Digitone Keys running OS 1.21

Minimum Computer Requirements
Overbridge 2.0 requires a high-performance computer optimized for audio production. Elektron recommends the below specs as minimum specs.

• At least 8GB of RAM.
  • At least Intel Core i5 CPU.
  • OpenGL 3.2 capable GPU.
  • Dedicated USB host port for each Overbridge hardware device. USB Hubs are generally not supported and may cause problems with both connectivity and performance.
  • Windows 10/macOS 10.12

The specs are not the only thing necessary to have a smooth experience. Real-time performance of the system is equally important. This is affected by other running processes and by different manufacturers of computer hardware. There are tools available to analyze systems.

DAW Support
This version will work best with Ableton Live, Logic, Studio One and Bitwig. But other DAWs will be supported as the beta progresses.

Downloads

Mac:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/se-elektron-devops/release/ca574dfc-6394-54c7-893f-5fe1939a7f72/Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.35.4_Beta.dmg

Win:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/se-elektron-devops/release/c87be8e8-6b76-5898-bfe9-5bbb87e14a55/Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.35.4_Beta.zip

Analog Four/Keys MKI:
Analog-Four_Analog-Keys_OS1.40A.zip (824.0 KB)

Analog Four MKII:
Analog-Four_MKII_OS1.40A.zip (845.0 KB)

Analog Heat MKI:
Analog-Heat_OS1.20.zip (452.8 KB)

Analog Heat MKII:
Analog-Heat_MKII_OS1.20.zip (463.6 KB)

Analog Rytm MKI:
Analog-Rytm_OS1.50A.zip (1.1 MB)

Analog Rytm MKII:
Analog-Rytm_MKII_OS1.50A.zip (1.1 MB)

Digitakt:
Digitakt_OS1.11.zip (745.3 KB)

Digitone and Digitone Keys:
Digitone_and_Digitone_Keys_OS1.21.zip (1.0 MB)

Manual:
Overbridge User Manual_2.0_Beta.pdf (1.0 MB)

Update Notifications

Run the Overbridge Control Panel application regularly to ensure you get automatic notifications about the availability of software updates directly from Elektron.

Upgrading from previous Overbridge versions

If upgrading from Overbridge 1.15 or earlier, note that a complete uninstall of the previous version will be performed first. This means you will lose any previously installed Overbridge plugins and Overbridge drivers if you install the Overbridge 2.0 Public Beta.

Known issues

• Issue with paramters under certain cicumstances not syncronizing propperly for the AR mk1.
  • Automation using external MIDI CC or using Overbridge may slowdown the units GUI.
  • Higher loads on the CPU may cause dropouts when using the units as Audio Interfaces.
  • Unit selection list in the plugin stays visible when hiding the plugin if it has been left open.
  • Issue with latency for MIDI when sending MIDI from the device to another external device.
  • Stability issues.
  • VST plugin does not utilize retina resolution (Windows).

To think about when using an Overbridge unit as a sound card:

Most Overbridge enabled devices can be used as 2 in 2 out interfaces in addition to the audio over USB for each individual voice. This means that if you are not careful with your routing and where/what you are monitoring, you might get feedback or voice doubling. Especially when software monitoring in your DAW.

In the Digitakt, doubling of audio can be prevented by turning off all internal audio sent to the mains out on the Digitakt. This is done by changing Settings > System > USB config > “Int to Main” to “Off”. Auto has no effect when using the Standalone Editor.

The Heat is a 4 in 4 out interface and will not be affected by the issue described above. If you still experience issues, check in the Heat manual that you have set up the routing correctly.

18 Likes

It’s been quite a while since the last public beta version and I’m sorry for that.

20 Likes

Nice work. Appreciated!

4 Likes

You’re doing a great job Olle. Thanks for working hard on this!

9 Likes

for sure, above and beyond expectations given the current circumstances

folk will probably have a lot of time on their hands over the coming months to get their teeth into this !

9 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve just installed latest 2.0.35.4 and the digitone modulation doesn’t appear to be any better… in modulation “other “ the amount slider still does not do anything or move and I’m unable to map it…

EDIT: It does move and work just unable to map… but now think that might be intended

1 Like

You sure you’re on the current VST and not on the old one? You might have installed, but the old one could be still in the plugin folder.

It’s always automatically done it for me I’m pretty sure I’ve never replaced the dll.
But I checked that, it says the version on the bottom of the plugins so must be correct.

1 Like

As a Cubase user I’m just curious, what are the things that still need to be done?
Thanks.

Pro Tools/AAX is on the agenda right?

1 Like

VST is not compiled to be a VST file. it looks like a folder and Cubase does not recognize the plugin after updating to 2.0.35…
tried to uninstall and reinstall.

Tried rescanning for plugins in Cubase again.
Ableton does work as expected.

Mac OS X 10.14.6
Cubase 10.15.12

Confirmed. Same MacOS / Cubase Version.

The extended attributes are missing from the VST bundles. You can copy them over from a previous install using xattr in the Terminal.app.

I recovered the previous VST version from a Time Machine backup and copied it to my user folder, then transferred the extended attributes over to the new VST package directories using the following command:

xattr -wx com.apple.FinderInfo "`xattr -px com.apple.FinderInfo/Users/me/Documents/Elektron/Analog\ Four.vst`" Analog\ Four.vst

You might need to do this as admin user.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Render in Place does not work, for example.

Oh nice. I didn’t realize Bounce In Place would ever work. That will be great.

1 Like

I was trying to follow your instructions without success.
I’m getting a

Any idea what I did wrong?

There should be a space between com.apple.FinderInfo and the starte of the path /Users.[…]

And the question is: Where are you executing this command.
You should be in

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Elektron

It works with the Virus TI and with my other synths that have VST editors (Sub 37, SE-02), thus I’d expect it to work with Elektron OB as well.

1 Like