OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

The interactions between the Input Gain, the negative Ratios and the Mix knob are the keys. With specific settings, you can capture bits of the Source coming in the BOUM by turning the Mix knob. This is by memory (can’t test it right now). I’m waiting for my own BOUM cause the one I used was a loan.

3 Likes

Do any Boum owners know if it’s safe to keep a decksaver on a plugged-in unit? I believe it’s better to not constantly be plugging and in-plugging, correct? So I’d like to always leave it plugged in, I think.

But the unit seems to get pretty hot (heh) when I have the decksaver on it for even a few minutes

Most power supplies can handle the plugging and unplugging of the power adapter. My BIM gets warm too so I unplug after not using.

1 Like

Should chime in for anyone who was on the fence like me, the Boum works great as an end of chain “warmer”/fattener/master compressor for an all-hardware setup. I have mine between the octatrack and my interface for my stereo mixes and it’s beautiful.

I use pretty subtle boost drive and sort of heavy compression but as mentioned earlier, there are so many ways to dial in the perfect sound with the relationship between mix, wet, level, drive, input gain, attack/decay, and low cut. I made about 15 presets on the first day, but now I just use subtle variations on factory preset 1-1

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it or even notice it on the master bus but it is an incredible enhancer. Makes synths really stand out and fills up the mix & glues everything together so perfectly. I can’t record anything without it now. Once you a/b a mix with analog synths + analog drum machine, you’ll see how sweet this thing sounds. It really is as good as people say it is, even if you aren’t trying to blow out your drums with the square wave rectifier. There’s definitely some magic in way it brightens low mids and pulls in high frequencies just right. And the overdrive sounds fantastic

8 Likes

The instructions/safety bit on BIM/BAM says to turn it off rather than leave it on for long periods. (Nothing about decksaver though, I always take the decksaver off when I turn them on, cos hot)

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t see that. And I specifically looked for it in my manual. Maybe I’m dyslexic, thanks

Well, I just re-read it, and now I think I completely misinterpretted it;

if your BIM is unused
for a long period of time, disconnect the AC adapter from the outlet.

is…not clear to me

4 Likes

check me out, i am dyslexic because i thought you said Boum in your initial reply. Anyway, yeah that’s basically confirming what you said. it is a little confusing, specifying that it should be disconnected only when unused for a long period. that helps though, thank you. i wont worry about constantly unplugging after every session then keeping the decksaver on the unplugged unit, i suppose

I think you don’t really need to worry about it getting hot. my boum is on for about a week now. it does hot but it think it is tolerable for boum, i guess. my audio interface is on 24/7 and my other samplers and synth including vintages are always on most time except when i’m away for more than a day or two. I might be wrong but in my knowledge, electronic gears are prone to get damaged more when turning power switch on and off than constantly being on.

I started a thread here on the search for a very specific delay, and figured I’d love the opinions from you OTO bunch -

why? I can’t comment on the electrical side of it. seems kinda wasteful though. guess you don’t pay the electric bill in your house! I generally turn lights off when I leave a room. can’t imagine leaving all my synths on! :rofl:

1 Like

BIM is cool.

Buy BIM.

Expensive though.

But money is less cool than BIM.

13 Likes

of course i turn lights off lol i think i just like my musical gears always on so i can quickly do something whenever i want :slight_smile: and electric bill is not that bad and for winter time, i don’t need to turn my radiator on lol

2 Likes

BOUM - would like to order one as an end of chain > PA
How good is the compressor as a limiter? Need a wall, don’t want to trash hearing abilities with uncontrolled live electro acoustic frequency spikes and feedback hell.

Also, do I need a DI box (passive stereo) from the BOUM to the PA? (I can’t predict the distance(s) that will occur at the venue(s).

Thanks folks!

I have purchased one with the same intention. But it is not capable to make proper limiting. You cannot adjust the input gain. Even in the lowest setting it will smash everything. Also no gain matching with drive and output knobs.
Good posts here:

Now I use it as a low cutted compressed enhancer with mix around 40%.
Afterwards EHX platform, works great as limiter and you can adjust gain to PA. Yes, it’s digital but check here:

I use it as master insert in Xone96, so no DI needed.

2 Likes

The Boum is balanced, so you won’t need a DI.

1 Like

Will get an EHX Platform and give it a shot for brick wall limiting.

1 Like

Is Boum not unbalanced?

Unfortunately, no.

1 Like

Bizarre, I stand corrected — I could have sworn it was.

1 Like