OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

just picked up a BOUM and a BIM. pretty damn impressed so far…

bought the BIM because it reminded me of the Boss Micro Rack Delay I used to own, but taken to the extreme with options. probably love the lo-fi effect the best but they’re all terrific. my Strymon DIG is getting nervous…

the BOUM really shines because of that compressor and the simplicity. it versus the Heat, to me, is like a machete versus a scalpel. the Heat is for micro-fine-tuning things, the Boum is just for pressing a few buttons and turning a few knobs and boom there’s magic going. initial impression, at least…

I’d say my only gripe is that although I like the simplicity of the interface and the dots are cute and fun, it would be nice to know what the effect types (or distortion types) are without having to hit up the manual. but obviously a full fledged display would cost more/clutter the look. maybe if there were a list printed on the face plate…?

7 Likes

I should task my label printer with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I created some max4live devices exactly for this reason. I’ve been busy with research , but next weekend I’ll be updating them to display properly on automation view as well.
https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=6135
I’ve made one for everyone but Boum. I can’t afford one at the moment.

5 Likes

The whole trio is in stock on Juno now. Pulled the trigger on boum finally :alien:

5 Likes

I finally got myself a BAM after all these years, and it does not disappoint. This is me messing around with it for the first time. It is going to be permanently glued to my Xerxes I think. Instant love.

3 Likes

I got a Boum yesterday. My plan was to stick this on the output of the OT and replace the master track compressor to keep control over levels and glue the mix.

Turns out it’s not that simple :slight_smile: I don’t fully understand why but my levels are now all over the place when I run through the boum. I’ve got the DN, SH101 on through machines, and drum samples on the other slots, and fighting over each other. Any tips on what to do? I think I need to look at gain staging and sample levels, and think normalising them. I’m not sure it will sound better though, so I’m half thinking about not using the boum in the immediate future.

What settings did you use?

Did you maybe turn the compressor pot fully clockwise (1:-1)? This cold cause some “reversal dynamic effects”.

…ok…all this french guy’s stuff…and the magic and beauty of bad converters…

all i know now for real…damn, this oto stuff is the only gear that rises in resale prices, the minute the last batch of one model is out of sale…

i could sell my bisquit/der oto for twice as much these days easily…but…well…i won’t…

3 Likes

It is boutique stuff

…word…

I’m not going into negative compression. I’m using very little drive on the cleanest circuit, 0 gain, comp knob about 8 or 9 oclock, level up and 100% wet. Basically I’m trying to be subtle.

I’ve tried some parallel compression which sounds quite nice, but doesn’t control the dynamics very well, defeating the point somehwat

A post was merged into an existing topic: OTO Biscuit

What db level are you using on the BIM?

Around 4 or 5 on the Bim display.

Great I will try

Just got a boum in and pretty confused about how to work the side chain.

I can’t get any audio from the side chain input.

I imagined I could run a kick into the side chain input and it would make the rest of the inputs “duck” whenever it’s triggered. I can somewhat hear the ducking just no kick or any other audio I plug in there

Is it just that the side chain input actually doesn’t monitor audio or anything and just works more as an envelope or something?

I don’t have a Boum, but I thought that on a lot of hardware compressors, it just ducked the side chain signal, but didn’t let it through.

1 Like

That’s probably exactly what’s going on. So I’d need to send a duplicate of my kick if I want it to duck when the kick hits I guess?

Which I can do. Just didn’t know that’s how it worked

That is correct, split, or send a duplicate.

2 Likes