OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

I am saving for the next Oto box that might come out later this year. Something to do with sample rates if i remember correctely

6 Likes

I’ve had the Bim for a few months now so thought I’d throw my 2 cents in. Now, I don’t buy a ton of gear so can’t speak to all the other popular delay pedals/units out there but anyway…

I love it! I was nervous after reading about how it does not handle high frequencies well that it would be an issue. For those of you similarly worried:

OK it does that… but rarely, I find. If it does it’s very easy to get around it using the filters and damping modes to quell while still maintaining the essence of the delay. It does have a slight warming (maybe more of a “rounding” or “smoothing” idk) effect, in general, but can be mostly transparent (verified by an outside source), or get grungy and grainy if you want.

My only gripe with the oto boxes is no knob mode to control behavior, so values always “jump” when you use the data knob.

I’m using it on a send in AUX mode, mostly.
Now I want a BOUM.

By grainy, do you mean low bit-rate/depth? Is it obviously lofi or quite subtle? I really want one for that but I’ve never been able to find an example of what the lofi mode on it sounds like.

If you don’t drive the input the 12 bit ADDA conversion is subtle. If you drive the input hard it gets too « radio shack » sampler sounding.

How is the thru mode?

you say that like it’s a bad thing…

4 Likes

I found out that you have to keep level low (no more than 3 to 4 on the level meter ) if you are using a source with hight frequency content and dont want digital artifact.
When you drive the input, depending on the source, you can get interesting result.
Its one of my favorite effect for sure. Using the Bim as a chorus with my OB6 is just mind blowing. There is something very special about this delay.

1 Like

The thru mode to me is just a cool bonus, not to say it can’t be useful and I’m glad it’s there, you get quite a range of boost that acquires a digital sheen as it increases, just thinking I haven’t run like a hard kick through it, so something to try tonight.

Well, I use it in the lo-fi, textured, sound is breaking apart type way, you know hit freeze then turn the “delay” knob all the way clockwise type stuff… you can probably do more subtle…

edit: which reminds me, the freeze makes this a great source of drone samples

4 Likes

This is relevant to my interests in all possible ways.

1 Like

man, can’t wait for the OTO BAMs to be back in stock. I gotta complete the trilogy!

2 Likes

A little late here, but I’m buzzed so I’ll post a mini-review :smile:

The BOUM is the shit. It simply makes everything sound better and when I don’t use mine, it’s only out of laziness. I have a BAM as well and use the BOUM way more often. The Drive settings aren’t all good, but that’s easy to work around - just use the nice ones :slight_smile: The compressor is just great, and I don’t mind having the attack and decay tucked away. That LPF is so smooth too, and there’s a surprising amount of possibility just tweaking the cutoff and the wet/dry mix, even without any compression or drive. It makes everything sound more urgent and alive.

Sometimes I think I’d like an Analog Heat for its modulation, but certainly not as a replacement. You can pry the BOUM from my cold, dead hands.

I’d get a BIM too just to support what OTO is doing, but I already have a Thyme. Which works beautifully with the BOUM, by the way!

14 Likes

This thread has been so useful for me. Thanks everyone. I just got a BIM a few days ago and have loved running my OB6 through it. My thanks to sovietpop for providing some pointers with taming that weird fizzy high frequency thing. I have been getting gorgeous long delay sounds with BIM and I can’t wait to use it as a chorus on the OB6 as well, as I really love the sound of the OB with its own chorus. And the freeze button is just too much fun.

I just bought a Boum on reverb and I’m stoked to try that one as well. I plan to use it on my Digitone to warm it up a bit, and also to play around with running my Tempest through it as well. Bam will be next on my list of purchases too, as soon as they come back in stock places.

4 Likes

hi,

I’m trying to use cc from my digitakt to control my Bim - divisions in particular - but can’t get it to work. i’ve got them both set on the same channel, the DT midi channel set to CC #18 for divisions but nothing seems to happen - anyone got any tips?

I’d check digitakt is set to send midi and cc’s

And for example , set track channel to 12 and oto device to 12 , Connect them directly ,

Simplify the setup and get that working.
Ensure digitakt midi track isn’t muted etc.

Obvious things I know but it might help

Yeah, I had problems with that for longer than I’m willing to admit haha.
Also a trigless trig at the beginning of the sequence might help to set the CCs to the right value.

1 Like

It’s working now, turned everything on and it’s going. Thanks

1 Like

Waiting for the new OTO FX, damn im curious. Does anyone have any new informations ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah… never thought about checking it was turned on :laughing:
thats going to become number 1 thing to check. (i’m sure you meant transport/sync etc, not the power )

It’s an AD box that can do 8 / 12 / 16 bit crushing. Nothing else new announcement wise

3 Likes

Yes, but it also helped working out the difference between midi thru and midi out …

2 Likes