OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

What settings did you use?

Did you maybe turn the compressor pot fully clockwise (1:-1)? This cold cause some “reversal dynamic effects”.

…ok…all this french guy’s stuff…and the magic and beauty of bad converters…

all i know now for real…damn, this oto stuff is the only gear that rises in resale prices, the minute the last batch of one model is out of sale…

i could sell my bisquit/der oto for twice as much these days easily…but…well…i won’t…

3 Likes

It is boutique stuff

…word…

I’m not going into negative compression. I’m using very little drive on the cleanest circuit, 0 gain, comp knob about 8 or 9 oclock, level up and 100% wet. Basically I’m trying to be subtle.

I’ve tried some parallel compression which sounds quite nice, but doesn’t control the dynamics very well, defeating the point somehwat

A post was merged into an existing topic: OTO Biscuit

What db level are you using on the BIM?

Around 4 or 5 on the Bim display.

Great I will try

Just got a boum in and pretty confused about how to work the side chain.

I can’t get any audio from the side chain input.

I imagined I could run a kick into the side chain input and it would make the rest of the inputs “duck” whenever it’s triggered. I can somewhat hear the ducking just no kick or any other audio I plug in there

Is it just that the side chain input actually doesn’t monitor audio or anything and just works more as an envelope or something?

I don’t have a Boum, but I thought that on a lot of hardware compressors, it just ducked the side chain signal, but didn’t let it through.

1 Like

That’s probably exactly what’s going on. So I’d need to send a duplicate of my kick if I want it to duck when the kick hits I guess?

Which I can do. Just didn’t know that’s how it worked

That is correct, split, or send a duplicate.

2 Likes

ETA - I heard back from Denis that Disto and LoFi have a stage of limiting that the others don’t so my experience is expected.

While exploring my brand new BIM, I have noticed a significant discrepancy in the volume of the delay between algorithms. I am measuring by turning the pedal mix fully CW to get a fully wet signal. The issue affects the Distortion and Low-Fi signals. When I select either of these, the volume is “correct” for about half a second but then the volume significantly drops. In distortion, the amplitude drops by 18dB and in Low-Fi, the amplitude drops by 12dB. From various demos I have watched online, I believe this to be anomalous behavior and all other algorithms operate at approximately the same amplitude.

I have attempted disabling the Feedback limiter and reducing the input signal level to no avail. I have also reset the pedal.

I’m emailing OTO but thought I would ask here too in case I’m missing something very obvious.

1 Like

You should post this in the OTO forum were the company is actively watching the feeds.

https://www.otomachines.com/forum/

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I bought an OTO bam a month or two ago and am loving it. Finally a nice non-pedal reverb unit for my synths!

I had a question about the filters though. When I change the settings on them while a constant sound is playing I get a slight clicking (especially noticeable when going between the first and second settings (20 and 80 hz) on the low cut filter). Is this typical behavior? It is not a deal-breaker, but I am wondering if it is just my unit or not.

Thanks so much!

Currently debating replacing my Analog Heat 2 with a BOUM, has anyone done the same?

Own both. Different units IMO. How are you using AH ?

I use Boum as warming unit/compressor for my synths before OT inputs and AH as master effect.

2 Likes

Some discusion here about Heat vs Boum. I only have a Heat myself but I’m curious about Boum. (Also have a Bim and Bam which I really like.)

1 Like