OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread

Same here.

Good to mention, I donā€™t remember. I think youā€™re right.
Trig Count is mentioned only once in new and former manual, for sample trigs.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re new to you and thatā€™s what countsā€¦ :smiley:
(Theyā€™ve been therešŸ˜‰)

Sure ? Arp is more efficient anyway. Slower though.
Sure for audio tracks.

Yes, Iā€™m sure.
Iā€™ve personally counted how many trigs they trigā€¦
:grinning:

2 Likes

really? on the midi tracks? I thought I was always disappointed that they were only for audio, cause I was using them a lot.
Plocking the arp speed for ratcheting was discussed in several threads

Just want to raise one thing to think about ā€¦ in connection with one shots

One shots are set to always have an outcome wrt TRCs

Say you have a TRC with probability 1% and you make the Trig a one shot too

Now if the Track is armed and the Trig is passed, the one shot wonā€™t expire (i.e itā€™ll remain solid yellow at blinking yellow red) when the transport passes unless the event is triggered (at which point it is disarmed) so that one shot you just armed may be passed 100 times, I think this makes sense, rather than having the trig enabled to only then evaluate a false and expire/disarm

So it behaves just as a normal trig would in all TRC scenarios until it is spent (or while you hold down yes to permanently arm) ā€¦ keeping in mind arming a track with multiple one shots will still disable them all when one is enabled

So itā€™s just confirming a conceptual thing, arming a probability/TRC one shot will make that event happen (unless another one shot expires first or the track is disarmed)

7 Likes

:nerd_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :sweat_smile: :sweat: :scream: :exploding_head::boom: :space_invader:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s something wrt plays free

T1 has a 1:2 TRC on Trig 9
:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::black_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

So it plays like this

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::black_large_square::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_large_square::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::black_large_square::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_large_square::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:

etc

If T2 has aTRC of NEI on Trig 1 and is plays free unquantized, when should it work ?
Just after the T1 track evaluates True until the next false ?

Well it is true for T2 during all of the second bar, even after the False is evaluated if you tap away in tracks mode on Trig 2

The nei is being assessed per bar in a peculiar way - yet to formulate an idea on this, but itā€™s info

edit: i.e. I sorta expected (as per the audio behaviour it may relate the start to the moment you manually play the track) so that the NEI would be True for the following moments during the seq playback to trigger T2 as true

:x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

However, it seems to play out as follows, i.e. even after the second pass has resulted in False at Trig9

:x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

This seems tricky to explain, not sure if itā€™s expected behaviour

I should add that it was also on occasion inconsistent too, on occasion that fast manual track trigging would perpetuate True for longer or not at all, but thereā€™s a repeatable pattern as shown just above if you trig at a modest rate, it relies on the referenced first pass track having passed completely and it will remain true for the duration of the second pass

^ oh man, I havenā€™t even attempted the plays free mode yet; this looks super puzzling but now I want to try it.

Wow, this is really interesting. I never would have thought to try something like that!

2 Likes

@avantronica is combining plays free tracks with different scales, one shots, Trcsā€¦ :sketchy:

Puzzling is the rigth term ! :loopy:

I keep adjusting encoder A instead of the Level encoder when using trig conditions; hopefully I can get used to it soonā€¦ although it did result in a happy accident where the MIDI note adjusted underneath the microtiming menu, with an actual pleasing result :smiley:

It would be really great if it were possible to adjust trig conditions on several trigs at once; at the moment itā€™s a bit tedious to hold a trig, press left or right, then adjust conditionsā€¦

5 Likes

Yep, I wish something more convenient but apparently Iā€™m getting used to it because I had the reflex to do it like that with A4 several times !

Does anybody else think it would be cool to have some visual feedback hinting at which trigs have probability adjustments set? Ala the gentle p-lock flash?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea, would save a whole lot of pushing, holding and tapping for info.

1 Like

I love this forum. Yaā€™ll are amazing. Iā€™m prepping for a set and cannot allow myself to touch the new OS. But when I do Iā€™m going to have this thread wide open. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s known for A4/AR, but if you want to play a 1st TRC at the beginning of the 2nd pattern iteration, place it at the last step of the pattern with -23 micro timing ticks.

(I know, it will be played before 2nd iteration, but thatā€™s only 5 ms at 120 bpm)

If you place a 1st TRC at the first step with -1, it will never be true.

4 Likes

Finally managed to put together my tutorial. I especially love triggering external effects using Trig Conditions and how it all integrates into the Elektron Workflow. If you have other unique applications in mind, feel free to reply or drop a comment on he video.

7 Likes

I was expecting Cond Trigs to be a great tool to create some organic/random detailsā€¦ and it is.
but what strikes me the most is how great it is to be able to create that many variations in a single 16-step pattern.
just the fact that I can see a whole pattern filled with variations in a single page makes it so much faster than scrolling through pages, wich can sometimes be confusing.
the only thing that could be more helpful is some LED feedback on triggers with conditionsā€¦ maybe intermitent green-red?
just a detail though, Iā€™m happy with it as is

8 Likes

Yeah, same here. Between that and setting the tempo scale of MIDI tracks really slow and then using the arpeggiator to program the actual melodies and using the trigs to program the chord changes, I havenā€™t had to use more than a handful of patterns in weeks and yet everything has actually been more long and organic and evolving than it was when I was before when Iā€™d use a couple banks full of long patterns.

And I havenā€™t even been using different lengths per track at all since 1.3 came out, since I want to focus on getting practice with conditional trigs and keep everything else on the simple side. But even just the X:Y conditions can keep a pattern evolving for dozens of bars before it repeats itself.

I really underestimated how big a deal these would be at first, especially before I read up on how they worked - I thought it was mostly just probability but theyā€™re so beyond that.

Agreed that some feedback would be nice, though (and of course being able to select and edit multiple trigs at once - plocks and the microtiming page - would of course be great, getting a Tanzmaus (which lets you select and edit parameter locks on multiple sequencer steps) really drove that point home for me. In fact, that would be my number one feature request at this point, I think. That or being able to copy the current pattern to a different pattern slot without switching patterns first, so that you could build up something in real time, copy it to another slot, and then move on seamlessly and continue to change it while filling up pattern slots with different variations you could go back to at any time - that would be huge for people like me who tend to start with very little presequenced material and build tracks live.

But both of those have been requested for years, theyā€™re nothing new and neither would be nearly as big a deal as conditional trigs are.

3 Likes