OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread

I agree on those requests… I have an Analog Four now, and I keep forgetting that I can edit multiple triggers at once…
I feel like LED feedback on conditional triggers might be easier than implement… but then again I don’t have any idea :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I finally finished a monster Monomachine track I’ve been working on and got to update my Octatrack a couple of days ago to 1.30c. Starting last night I just used a couple of MIDI tracks talking to one channel on a Yamaha TG-33 and between a few dumb tricks (locking in a scale in the ARP setup page; using a limited range random note-selection LFO on one of the two tracks) combined with conditional trigs, I too had a good evolving pattern within a single 16 steps. Very nice. Gods I wish I had that on the Monomachine now.

I wish I had a TG-33, I missed out on them being like $50 on eBay by about a year.

You could lock a conditional trigless trig with the bit reduction then move it as far left in microtiming as possible so it sidled nice and close to the original kick trig. Not quite 100% what he wanted but fairly close? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey folks,

i searched on youtube, google and here in the forum, but didn’t find a good tutorial for a newbie wanting to use conditional trigs - has anyone a tipp for me how to learn this new feature? I have an ot mk2.
Thanks for every reply in advance!

Cheers, Duumvir

i would say: use them and see what happens :slight_smile:
on the other hand, conditional trigs are a good way to give your patterns more variation and avoid ‘repetitions’
i’m assuming you’re familiar with how to actually place a conditional trig on the sequencer so next step is for you to decide (once you’ve a conditional trig in place) when that trig should actually be trigged by setting the right value for that specific conditional trig
i don’t have an OT MKII but i think it’s pretty much the same you’ve on the other machines that come with this feature.
as you’ll notice when setting a conditional trig, you’ve more than just one option: fill, pre, % … all this will affect the way the trig will behave.
so for instance, setting a percentage of 41% would give a probability for that trigger to be triggered well, 41% of the times :grin: setting the condition to say 1/2 would trigger the trig once every two times and so on…
you can keep experimenting with the settings and i would suggest you to setup something like a 16 steps sequence and play around :slight_smile:

edit: i think there should be a post about conditional trigs somewhere here on the forum but related to another machine

1 Like

Logic is the same get the terms and the different name of Conditional Trigs understand who do what… and you can apply it on your OT

3 Likes

12.12 CONDITIONAL LOCKS

On the MICRO TIMING menu, there is a parameter called TRIG CONDITION with which a set of conditional rules can be applied to sample/note trigs, lock trigs, trigless trigs, and one shot trigs, using a parameter lock. Each setting is a logical condition that will determine whether a trig set in the sequencer is triggered or not. If the condition is true then the trig will become active and a ect the sequence. You must rst place a trig to where you want to apply a conditional lock.
To be able to access this menu GRID RECORDING mode must be active. Open this menu by pressing and holding the [TRIG] key of the trig you want to add a conditional lock to, then press either the left or right [ARROW] key. While keeping the [TRIG] key pressed, use the LEVEL knob to select trig condition.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your tips - the first video get’s me going! :slight_smile:
The manual is only confusing for me and too short…
Thanks again for your help.

By the way, i dont think its a good idea to merge all the posts regarding conditional trigs into one…
Specially for newbies like me it’s a bit overwhelming.
But thanks for your work and support anyway!

Best regards, Duumvir

Thank you for your tipps and efforts! :slight_smile:

Duumvir

It was worse for newbies before you got here - all the conditional trig info was scattered across hundreds of threads, before somebody kindly decided to start one thread that tries to gather all that in one place. At least you took the time to show some gratitude, so I give you credit for that :wink:

For most people, all this trig condition stuff is just there to create many variations on a sequence pattern. I’ve been teaching myself this stuff by just creating a very basic beat with the factory drum samples, and listening to how the pattern changes depending on trig settings, and trying stuff from the updated manual. Fill is the only trig condition thing I find useless for my music, because it takes two hands to use.

Fill is pretty much the only one I use :slight_smile:

I do wish there was a one hand option. And a way to lock the trig screen so you don’t have to hold a key to edit it.

3 Likes

+1

+1
I’m surprised they didn’t use the empty square on the AMP page (AFAIK it’s only used for scene XVOL, but since you can’t mix both, it would make sense…)

2 Likes

only press page out of recording mode

1 Like

I’m surprised they didn’t use the empty square on the AMP page

+1000! This idea is SO much better than what they actually did that you’ve practically ruined the TRC feature for me. Thanks. This would have made programming complex conditions so much easier.

1 Like

?

I really doubt they’ll change it now… but maybe there’s some way to suggest it? Octatrack feature request thread…?

Sure, it could be in an easier spot, and it would be nice if triggering fills was easy as one button.
However, after spending some time with trig conditions on all the boxes, you kind of get used to them, and more focused.
Lately I rarely feel the need to stay in the editing window for long, I just pick what I need the first time and go.
Definitely not a show stopper for me.

that’s because everything is in its right place :okej: … clunky half-baked solutions are not the way to do business … it’s in a consistent place UI wise and there are no conflicts … it was a smart move - it’s obvious everything else was considered … it’s my opinion that if there wasn’t a suitable slot it wouldn’t have come - shoehorning it into a (half-used) gap that’s nothing to do with the sequencer side wouldn’t fly and i’d put money on that discussion already having happened … it’s in an elegant place, just a bit outta the way, but it was surprisingly easy to adapt to it and the box still feels right and consistent …

not being able to act on more than one trig at once is far more of a workflow killer imho

5 Likes