OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

@sezare56 burning the midnight oil :night_with_stars:

Edit: or should that be the MDnight oil :rofl:

Or the Midi night oil :joy:

2 Likes

With thanks to @Anfim for making the download link more accessible I’ve now been able to read the rules and guidance. I’m excited for the challenge and also a bit nervous about how well I’ll fair with some of the challenges. But then I guess that is the point. It was my intention to use this challenge as the vehicle for writing a specific album I’ve ideas percolating away on. Perhaps it’s ridiculous to be writing primarily instrumental electronic music that is about very specific things that no one else will have a clue as to what they’re all about but it helps me to write. So, I’m reckoning that at the very least 50% of the challenges will allow me to write songs and I’ll push to achieve that with all of the challenges. Though perhaps it’ll be more the case that after the Lab is finished I’ll head back to expand on a few of the challenges and then master it all separately and release it as an album.

Cool, so pretty excited to get started and I’ll be attempting to completely get with the spirit of it with written notes and photos of bits and pieces as I go… so if you’re not a fan of my rambling discourses I can only apologise in advance.

Regarding the discussion about how to capture this as threads. My vote would be to keep this one as the main thread for any general discussions and then to have separate threads for the main challenges (and the bonus) that we can post into as we tackle them. That way it’s easy to keep track of the various interpretations of each challenge and give feedback/specific discussion etc.

1 Like

The Midnight OYL :
OneYearLab folder is the first audio folder, and the 3 first samples of my freshly formatted card.
I hope it will be enough for this year! :smile:

I think I’ll use 1 project, and 1 challenge per bank, with corresponding numbers…

4 Likes

Thanks for this idea. Count me in.

1 Like

reliving my childhood now ; )

2 Likes

Ohh… the anticipation…
I don’t think I have ever been so excited by gear purchase :blush: Given all the aura of complexity and unlimited possibilities, that you have to dedicate yourself to machine to unveil its true potential…
Still couple days until i get my hands on OT, meanwhile digging in manual and super excited to get started on lab

1 Like

@darenager, thanks for this, awesome!
Just curious - is there going to be a thread for each of the challenges, or will there be a thread for each month that includes reports and discussion on any of the challenges that people are diving into in that month?
Still deciding what to do in March myself, but I will do something.
Cheers

2 Likes

I’m cowbelling. What a punition ! :joy:

1. Childhood Revisited
  2. The Spoken Word
  3. Chain gang
  4. Space cadet
  5. DJ OT - OctaDJ
  6. Remix yourself
  7. Classical - Orchestral Octatrack
  8. Pickup pickmeup
  9. Connect 4 - Musique Concrete
  10. Earworm jingle
  11. More Cowbell?
  12. Time traveller dice
2 Likes

:Just got my brand new otmk2… im in for this!:wink::thup::elot:

7 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

First More Cowbell version !
Where is the challenge thread ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I wonder how long it takes that the first one (maybe sezare56?) delivers his results for all 12 challenges. One week?

… just got into the flow and couldn’t stop …

:wink:

2 Likes

New rule: 1st challenger of a particular challenge starts the thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great sounds! Got some hang/hand pan timbres in there, very nice!

4 Likes

OT Science Lab - 1 year study - 11 - More Cowbell :cb:

3 Likes

Soooo… I’ve been avoiding saying if I’m in because I haven’t had steady OT access., I really should be part of this though and I love that it’s happening. I’m on Ipad so couldn’t view the zip until I remembered and finally just downloaded the zip extracter for @tsutek told me about 2 years ago, thanks tsutek. I’m a few pages in and loving it… Calulator, Dice :smiley: :smile: When I got to my quote I had to post something… Haha…

It’s a year long so I’ll dip my toe in for now and dive fully in later. Maybe there’s another job for me when I don’t have OT access,
Referee?? :thinking::joy:

5 Likes

Job Description: VIC - Very Important Commentator :smile:

3 Likes

Since my OT MK2 arrived today, you can finally count me in. Actually I’m working on my own challenge namely:

Challenge 0 (Prelude): Use Demo Mode to produce a Song

(someone at Elektron missed to put the CF card into the box)

5 Likes

Ouch!!!

Ohhhh… Your special challenge! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They’ll send you one for sure…

A challenge? :slight_smile:
“Don’t use a CF card and write everything to reproduce it later.”:smile:

You can record OT’s notes with A4. :wink:

1 Like