OT Science Lab - 1 year study - 11 - More Cowbell :cb:

Good effort! It’s not really in my stylistic preference but I can definitely appreciate the work you’ve put into it and it’s certainly inspired me to work more on my rhythmic elements as my work in progress is lacking a bit on that front.

2 Likes

Yeah that works pretty well but once again a big kick is missing! :slight_smile: (Mine is worse!)

3 Likes

Just wait until hear my two “efforts” at a kick drum failing to effect an escape from a wet paper bag!!

2 Likes

Nice job @arrowtronic

I started mine tonight, first thing I made was a fat kick, then a melody, then a bass, then hihats, then time ran out, but at present it is kind of an early Detroit Techno kind of thing (think KMS/Transmat/Metroplex era) I don’t know if it will end up like that though, see where it takes me :wink:

2 Likes

thanks,

ok, i was so excited… maybe the thing is a bit rushed , think i’ll make a other version ; )

i was trying to get the kick right, and got a decent result when pitching things to 300 bpm and resampling it,

after that i layed it with a sub made out of a single cycle derived from a resampled cowbell with lots of reverb

i used allot of lfo with pitch, amp volume and filter cutoff on trig mode on ritmic elements

the difficulty in this challenge is the limit in effects while i also learned alot on how to use the delay/filter /darkreverb more efficiently

2 Likes

Got a little bit done tonight but had to work at low volume so mix levels might be a bit whack, made some nice choir/string/pad sounds, so here is a rough recording of progress so far.

I’ll get it finished by the weekend hopefully.

13 Likes

Great effort so far - I totally get the Transmat vibe you alluded to in another thread which is mst definitely up my street. I see you’ve managed to get much closer to a clap than I have so far. I was playing about with retrigs and one shot LFO’s to get the roll at the start but wasn’t really working so I’m moving on. I’ve spent enough time on the drums as I should really good on with the rest of my track. However if you wanted to share any tips on how you got your claps (and indeed your kick!!) that would be good reading.

2 Likes

Thanks, for the clap it is just retrig of 4 and lower filter base than the hihat, I often use the “inverse parameter lock trick” for this type of thing, so adjust parameters to make closed hihat, when happy p-lock all the parameters to a trig, copy the trig and paste it to make pattern, then select one for open hat, increase decay etc until open hat sounds right, then copy and paste as needed, then select step for clap adjust params, copy paste, etc. It probably makes sense to use a short pattern initially on a bunch of say 8 trigs looping around it becomes quick to make the sounds for copying and pasting around once you extend the pattern.

For the kick just 24db filter, very low base and width, resonance about 80 - 100 (sets decay of kick) or so, bit of env depth, zero attack short decay, very short loop of cowbell sample pitched down to -8, amp env no attack or hold, short release, just to ping filter really.

2 Likes

Really good sounds. Where is the kick ? :smile:
Nice synths.
I don’t especially like the scratchy sound.

A subtle kick ?

:loopy:

9 Likes

Was expecting to hear an elefant and then mark hollis singing " it’s a shame ! " … :elephant: … Nicey nicey … :elephant::elephant::elephant:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, that worked really well for me. I think my main issue was that I was trying to make the sample do more of the work than taking the time to be patient with the ratios of parameters to get the filter doing the work. Sounding great now and contrasting well with the other kick where I’m making use of the ol’ classic boosting the HP for the fundamental.

Of course, being an OT rookie I proceeded to create a new blank pattern that I was going to use to create a pad/ambient wash and not seeing anything like Kit in the UI presume it was more like the DT than the MD and promptly wrecked the kick I’d been crafting. So, fixed it and it’s time to RTFM for getting a completely fresh pattern/set of sounds.

2 Likes

@darenager interesting. More details about the hihats? Sounds really good. Bassline too.

Concerning the kick, maybe it’s a matter of taste, I have a different approach :

Pitch +12
Rate +2 (to taste)
Amp Hold min, Rel to taste
Lfo Dest Rate, Exp wave (impulse), speed and depth to taste
Filter 24 db, lowest base and width, res around 32, env depth around 20, release to taste.
An additional Filter can help, dj eq too.

On my exemple above I used filter dist, but it was more for fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

Against rules! :joy:

For the hats again filter is doing most of the lifting, I can’t give exact settings now as not at OT, but short loop of CB, base and width very high to give high pass, resonance to taste, use fast LFOs for emulation of metallic dissonance, I think I used square and S&H both at 64x with fast rate.

2 Likes

Haha, I finally got a little time today, changed things up a bit, decided not going to use resampling as I want to push myself a bit, got some nice sounds so far, now to turn it into some music, probably finish this one by the weekend time permitting.

8 Likes

Yes, promising!
Some sounds are like strings!
I don’t like the snare /clap though. Normalising the end of the sample brings nice noise. :wink:

Hihat recipe?

Sounds like a really strong start! It’s pretty amazing how well you can do psuedo-analogue with just these limited features of the OT.

I’m the exact opposite in my slowly coming together effort in so far as I’ve been resampling like a maniac. My excuse is that this is my first time using the OT to any great amount so I’m still learning and I suppose that it’s been an opportunity to learn resampling too!!

After 3rd resample for one sound i stopped writing down all the parameters and stuff i just can’t remember what i did.

yea, same here. Sometimes i just get carried away by exploring OT. Then get back to shaping sounds and in 15 mins find myself playing with jet another new feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nuts. Didn’t get much progress at the weekend, no inspiration, I will put this one on ice for a while and come back to it at a later date as I wasn’t feeling it, even though it is 75% done.

I’m feeling that a different lab will give me a break from this one to come back with fresh motivation, I feel kind of stuck in a loop from over familiarity with it, I think editing the sounds for too long was my downfall here, trying to tweak into perfection and really just changing for the sake of change, I need to work fast and wrap things up, but on this one I worked piecemeal and it has become laborious now.

1 Like

Ok, there it is.

Have to mention that this is my first project on OT, most of my free time in April got invested into this.
At first I tried to write down how I find sounds, but shortly I just lost track, because of constant changes, resampling. But I had a really great time discovering how to sound design works and learned my way around OT. I have to say this was extremely valuable challenge as I was forced to dive deep in to handful of effects available and learn basic OT functionallity (would suggest to anyone starting out on OT).
I’m not 100% happy with the result, but I guess this is what I’m capable at this moment (maybe spent too many hours jamming with “overdriven wah guitar” :slight_smile:)
yess just filter, delay and dark reverb recorded in Garage band.
p.s. comments regarding any aspect of this “piece” welcome.

Yes and huge thanks to @sezare56 and @Open_Mike for the time and patience you have put in to this community. You had already answered almost all of my questions and some more.
And again thanks to @darenager making this Lab.

14 Likes

Good track, and it’s great to hear folk are still working on these. Regarding your track I don’t have much to offer and advise on as I think you’ve done a real nice job. The beat was nice and laid-back and the sort of sample-and-help synth was really nice. The “guitar” sounds weren’t quite to my taste but I definitely appreciate the effort you must’ve put in to get them.

For myself, I’ve been slogging away with this challenge for about 6 weeks now off and on… and I think perhaps my ambitions for where I want to get to with the song are perhaps unachievable. But I definitely echo your sentiments about how it’s been a great challenge to learn and push yourself with.

That said, I may need to abandon ship on this one… we’ll see.

1 Like