OT microtiming

Can somebody explain the numbering in the microtiming 384, 192 etc. What does it represent?

Also has somebody mapped where triplets or other more complex timings are located.
Interested in drunk feel and quintuplets!

Are there resources on this?

1 Like
2 Likes

So from step 1 to 2 is 24 micro steps and from step 1 to 5 is 96 microsteps, right?

the micro steps are spaced at 24ppqn - so yeah
microsteps can only be utilised to take a step most of the way to its neighbour’s default location - the grey bar shows the complete range of the given step

1 Like

thanks, off to experimenting

Funny thing : with midi tracks, you can trigger a trig with - 5/384 microtiming at the beginning of a pattern, just after play. This can be used to send bank messages.

7 Likes

Didnt want to start a new thread as its what im trying to understand. I want to create a chord from a single note(pitch control). Am i right in thinking i can use micro timing by placing trigs on say no. 1,2 and 3 and shifting them back(2 and 3). (using scale mode x4 even more microtiming steps i believe). Is this the best way to get a chord? But im thinking trig 1 and 3 will have a bit of latency. Hope this makes sense. Cheers.

Midi or audio?

Audio

Sure you can try that, but… monophonic, you wont get much of a chord unless each note is on its own track.

1 Like

Ah. I can do that but i thought it would be a cheap trick that wouldnt be that bad.I’ll just resample the chord and save it then . Cheers.

Suck it and see!

1 Like

Will do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Easier with a 64 steps delay with high feedback.
Step 1 note 1
Step 5 note 2
Step 9 note 3
Step 13 note 4

A rec trig on step 13 to resample.

7 Likes

Indeed, using several microtiming to get chords don’t work, notes will cut each other and only the last will be heard.

Regarding chords resampling, Barker pushed the idea a bit, check this discussion, it’s very interesting.

3 Likes

Thanks

Thank you for this thread. Just starting messing with footwork rhythms and true triplets were driving me nuts. This is great! From this starting point, I could reason through triplet programming~!

1 Like

There is a thread about triplets IIRC…

The resolution is usually counted in pulses per quarter note (PPQN ), and OT is 96 PPQN (24 per step). I’d prefer 1/24 microtiming values, like newer Elektrons.