OT learning curve

yeah they’re just different perspectives on sample goodness… if any of the die hard mpc 3000/2000xl users could get sample freeze per pad they’d lose their minds, then when you look at all of the capability on top of that compared to those earlier machines it puts things into perspective…

I think of it like the elektrons do more leading to the happy accidents and with the akai live and x you have to go hunting for those same happy accidents but they are both obviously monsters on the set

what’s your method, if you don’t mind sharing?

Good video on releasing OT feature fear :panda:

2 Likes

yep, totally.
you just don’t have to do 2-button combos to get to the mixer or sample editer etc cause you’ve got dedicated buttons. :sunglasses::ok_hand:t3:
the OS is the same.

2 Likes

Yes. Only big mk2 differences (besides aesthetic…) are quality of life. A dedicated audio editor button! A dedicated rec 3 setup button! Other things I’m forgetting…

1 Like

Project, Part and Arranger button shortcuts too right?

1 Like

sounds about right

1 Like

& mixer :+1:t3:

My Mk1 has a dedicated mixer button… What’s wrong with yours?!

3 Likes

haha oh, my mistake :smile:

Great stuff.

3 days in.

Before purchasing, read merlin’s guide. Watched a ton of @cuckoomusic, @CarlMikaelBjork, loopop, @Zhaomusic, @tarekith, @defenestration etc. vids. Working way through manual.

Day One:

• Play with PRESETS demo.
  • Mess with scenes, reload parts, switch patterns, learn about trig modes, mute tracks, wish there was an easy way to solo tracks, get a lay of the land.
  • Fork ‘presets’ to a new project and swap out samples for some more of the samples shipped w/ the box and generally make a mess of it.

Day Two:

• Review Day 1.
  • Then, resampling: attempt crossfader transition trick (via old @tarekith videos) / learn about internal resampling (sending SRC3 to Cue) / record trigs

Day Three:

• Go through ‘tutorials’ (p 103) in the manual. Play with random slice locks and ‘playing’ slices on the crossfader.
  • Set up a neighbor track and stack fx; incorporate day 1 and day 2 skills into this workflow.

Future checklist, off the top of my head:

• Plug in in an instrument or other sound source for sampling /
  • Check out freeze delay trig mode
  • Learn how to save samples
  • Learn pickup machines / looping
  • Experiment w/ Plays Free
  • Try single cycle waveforms
  • Try arranger
  • Try conditional trigs
  • Try midi sequencing
  • Organize / Move my own samples from computer over, rinse, repeat

Sure I’m missing a ton; that’s what this forum and youtube is for!

9 Likes

Wow @healthylives you’ve managed in 3 days a great portion of the first half of curve,
Now just the rest of your life to try for the 2nd half :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey gang, couple questions:

Can you arm sample record to record when it gets sound like the digitakt or do you hit record and just go and edit the pause.

If I have a mono signal coming in on say input B, that I want to sample on say track 4, on a flex track, do I have to set up a thru track on another track to hear it on both speakers and if so, does that take up two tracks.

Thanks!

In regards of having the ot waiting for audio to pass a certain threshold i think thats not possible. What would u use it for?

You dont need a thru track nescessarily you can go to the mixer page and set DIR value which will route incoming signals from AB or CD directly to the ot’s outs. This way you will always here your incoming sounds and obviously you can sample it on whatever track recorder you like. If you would then want to mute the incoming volume via DIR you can setup a scene to fade the incoming audio out and only play the recorded one.

Trigg sampling is the solve

I like to get as many perspectives as possible …
seen cuckoos comparison vids but in you guys opinions what if somebody only wants to use the octatrack like a digitakt… and not even worry about the rest of it… is that possible to do fluidly or would you just stick to the digitakt?

Yes, in it’s simplest form, the OT is basically a DT with a different interface. But it is another machine so there are many workflow differences (not as visual).

1 Like

how easy is it to set up a send/return for external FX to use for resampling?

Easy is kind of subjective. For me, instantly. For you, I don’t know. The OT takes some time to get. Depending on the individual’s learning ability. If you need help doing it, I can help.

Basically the Ot has 8 sample players and 8 recorders (8 tracks). Each track can be Cue’d, like a DJ mixer. When you are in “studio mode” (you turn this on in the preferences), the cued tracks sound go out the OT’s 3&4 outputs. When not qued, they go out 1&2. So, you turn on studio mode, hook up your 3&4 to your effects, back into the inputs of the OT. Whichever track you cue, the effects chain happens…As for sampling…Let me know if you have troubles, but that takes having the machine in front of you.

I think the issue for users like me who are so interested in the octatrack is that we really know what we want/need. It’s the choice between the octatrack or as yet non-existent next flagship…

for example if Elektron makes an instrument with 16 step trigger pads that are velo sensitive, the size of the largest pads on the model samples (but with much better quality like the mpc/maschine)… with the power of the octa track, or even a souped up digitakt but without the esoteric (also subjective) of the octatrack, I would get it without hesitation…

Really I just need the accessibility of the digitakt, stereo sampling, extensive sample slicing, better playable pads specifically better than the rytm pads or model samples pads, more project storage, several outputs, send/return capability for process external fx and resampling, and the workflow of the model samples, and lastly intuitive sample storage, organization, and browsing…less convoluted sample pool like the model samples. So people like me are wondering if we are going to buy the octatrack and then something like this come out…