OT learning curve

For what it’s worth I’m 48 hours into OT having come from a DT, DN and AK setup. I am by no means a power user on the AK - I just use it for poly mode mainly - but I’m fully versed in the Digi world and have started to run into the limitations. Hence OT. There are moments when learning the OT when no sound comes out at all and the behaviour is baffling, but it’s all user error. I usually start again when I get in a mess and refer to the manual all the time for bits I know the OT can do but for some reason isn’t working for me. However, after those two solid days I have a good set up going with OT, DT and DN all synced up and triggered from the OT as master. Also got the hang of recorder trigs and the Midi arp - amazing stuff. So, yes, it is mind boggling at times, but that’s because it can do so much. Just stick with it. Baby steps with a clear idea in mind each time you switch it on.

Also, regarding using the DAW as a tape recorder, don’t forget that your DT can use Overbridge and take outs from the OT into the inputs (then mute/solo tracks for each run to have separate stems as such). Not sure if DT monoises the inputs though - I’ll probably go to the DN or AK if that’s the case. Good luck!

10 Likes

hUhhhh, is that the OT getting the swoosh or the Akai?

1 Like

the Akai is beyond excellent for what it does… those features are no joke, I think most people don’t even know it can do 80% of the things it can do… think about it… sample freeze/ that’s track freeze on a hardware sampler on a per pad basis… layer some samples, put fx on them and freeze it on the pad where it lives… ridiculous!!!

but the Octa is something else entirely… I’d say they both get the swoosh but I don’t have an Octa yet… but if I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the digitakt then good times are ahead!

1 Like

I agree…honeslty I hate the the touch screen on the Akai and a month into the DT I just find it more creatively fulfilling. I’m in my return window for the DT so as we speak it’s going back the guitar center and I’m gonna dive into the OT. I’m bummed about losing overbridge, but the good news is you can pick up DT’s used for 600 now, so if I miss it, I’ll grab one used.

1 Like

I’m swapping the DT for the OT, I just want to focus on one thing. Honestly, if the DT had stereo samples I wouldn’t go OT, but its choking my OB-6 and I think the OT should be plenty for now.

2 Likes

I had an Mpc Live for a few years (pre automation lanes update) Despite all those incredible functions I didn’t actually find them conducive to making tracks in an inspiring or interesting way. I think it ultimately came down to the fact that despite all the things that were technically possible it still felt like I was simply triggering static, inflexible sounds. Totally opposite to the OT, which feels alive and reactive. I used to be totally against step sequencers but now I have an OT mkii and 2 DT’s, which I find breathtaking in their respective abilities to do get unplanned/unconventional results. But I’m also hankering after the Mpc Live again. Just for it’s difference in workflow. I think I’ll probably get another and been completely covered for all sampling aspects.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Octatrack can do 100% of the things it can do. :tongue:

And if you want to stick to what DT does, the learning curve seems :rocket:.

Concentrate on one thing is a great way to learn the OT. For me sampling (for some reason?) was the thing that took the most practice to get right. I told someone a while ago that (when I was learning to sample) I would have the output of my computer jacked soundcard into one of the inputs of the OT, when I was watching Movies, listening to the radio, or Youtube vids…and just sample everything. Just for practice… And then if I had a serious problem, I would google and at last resort- ask here. Good luck.

3 Likes

I was thinkin the other day in hindsight, that when learning the OT it could be an idea to firstly disregard the sampling section and just import samples to the flex slot list n use them. then when you’re comfortable with that begin to incorporate the sampling section.

I remember at the start trying to juggle everything would lead to the occasional obligatory “why isn’t there any sound” scenario, n having less sections up and running at those initial moments could help learn the structure.

just a thought. I could be wrong :smile:

2 Likes

Had OTmk1 when it first came out. Hated it, sold it right away. Back then there weren’t any good guides, YT vids other than the ones Elektron put out, and the manual was just too much to take in with what was at the time new terminology like “trigs”.

MK2 came out and decided to give it another go. It’s my favorite machine. Granted, the 3rd party guide really helped, and I had taken some computer programming classes and it made the box easier to understand. Like the logic and the saving scheme etc. Not saying to go take a programming class.

The best thing to do it to load up some samples (Samples From Mars 808, 909, 606 are my fav), and turn it on everyday. Make a simple drum sound do things it’s not supposed to do. Try to do new things and read the guide and manual to find out what else it’s capable of. Do it everyday.

I use it as a sequencer mainly, but the next steps for me are going to be sampling inputs and the mains and tweaking that stuff in real time.

EDIT: the biggest thing that will help is to not try to make a complete song like you arrange in a DAW. Just jam for the sake of jamming and making sounds…that will make it more freeing.

1 Like

Yeah, for sure. I did that, and many do…But, the OP said he wanted to get it to sample his OB-6. Totally agree though. Just import from the card and you’ll have a much easier time. If I were to skip a bunch of nonsense and get right to where I am right now, my tip would be to download OctaChainer, and divide all your favorite one hit samples into 64 sample “sample chains”, load them into flex machines, function arrow down to slices…and jam. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, here goes. Plenty of more questions to come!

6 Likes

I think one of the hardest things for me to get over for sampling was to realize that there are to modes. You have the sampling screen (on the MK1), where you hit function-record- That is where you can see things being sampled (hard to explain here)…Once you exit that screen, you are back to the regular functions of the OT…I’ll stop, but I wish I could just teach all these people that have such a hard time, cuz I know how hard it can be.

2 Likes

And also, I sample in a different way than I’m sure many do…because like everything else on the OT there are sooo many ways to accomplish things.

1 Like

Priced to hagal.

1 Like

Thanks. But It’ll be a while before i do.

1 Like

The learning curve is worth it, having used a bunch of other sampling sequencers, some of which out-spec the Octatrack, none of them come close to the capabilities of the Octatrack, for certain things.

It is a samplists sampler, no bullshit, micro level control over almost every aspect of a sample on a step, multiple simultaneous source realtime recording, and tons of creative tricks that can be employed including some not yet conceived.

It’s strength lies in the fact that it is so versatile, the key to understanding it is dependent on becoming familiar with its structure, then planning what and how to apply it to the task at hand. It does not hold your hand and guide you into a particular working method, and whilst in the early stages of owning it this can be frustrating, once the concepts have been grasped it is a game changer.

IMHO

11 Likes

:point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

widen those quote brackets just a lil bit to get an accurate quote :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will the MK1 vids translate to the mk2?