OT Fx settings: tips in context

As i was going through the manual about the different FX on the OT, there were many settings i realize i don’t know what and how they could be used for.

I searched for a thread regarding different settings/parameters and did not find one gathering info about all the FX of the box.
Feel free to extend to all tips for different FX, i know there are already great tips all over the place but i thought it would great to have a unique thread where to look at when one is searching.

For instance, on the Spatializer, i can’t hear any difference when i play with the SG knob.
Is there any kind of sound better to hear what it affects?
In which musical context would you use it?

1 Like

…no fixed rules…stop reading…start playing…

1 Like

On the spatializer setup page, make sure the M/S is switched on. It’s effectively a Mid/Side decoder.
Mid “M” gives you the mid level, and side “S” gives you.
This is almost like a second effect utility.

Use cases… Well, the M/S decoder (setup page) is going to do a lot more on a stereo sample or after a stereo effect. It will allow you to remove the mid information, or the side information, or accentuate either. I recently used it while inputting my Typhon into a Thru track, because the onboard stereo delay effect on the Typhon was ultra wide, and the sound was getting lost in the mix. Totally lost when listening in mono.
So I turned up the M, and turned down the S, which made it less wide, and it fit into the mix much better.

The main page parameters are more ideal for taking a mono source and widening it.

In a nutshell, Spatializer can make things more mono / less stereo or vice versa. It’s more of a utility than a creative effect, but there is certainly room to be creative with it when you start p-locking or setting conditionals on trigless trigs/locks.

Great “nugget of wisdom” for someone who wants to learn and is actively seeking answers on a forum designed to help people. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

@Veets trick, additional mono track.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOCrqlypsgY&t=35s

1 Like

This!

I use it a fair bit actually, usually for reducing the stereo width of old vinyl samples (those loud pops and clicks dont agree with me) then I can eq or filter to taste without having to loose too much top end.

As a weird quasi haas effect its not bad either.

1 Like

…no wisdom here…just encouragement to let go and feel free…

…but…overall, apart from the classics like filter delay, reverb, eq’s and comperssion…

the ot’s fx pallette has stuff to offer nowhere else to find…

try the comb filter for a start…any audio content can get a tonal imprint with this…
imagine percussions start to sing…in any key u like…

if ur not sure what makes a difference wet or dry…and really wanna hear that difference…
take any contnent and adress the slider to the dry/wet mix value of any of the fx…
this way u get a very good first idea.what they actually do…

but basic point is, it’s always up to ur taste and apart from many howto function rules in the ot that needs lots of muscle memory, u make the rules…

and don’t wonder about the spatializer…i also do not really HEAR it’s effect…
keep always in mind…ur not alone in the ot miracle zone…and there are no real DO’s and DONT’s…but lot’s of lucky dips and happy accidents…

1 Like

Spatializer is probaply the least used Octa fx. How many people have thrown it onto a track, twisted the knobs and thought it’s doing nothing?

What about adding a few words to the manual @eangman?
Actually @AdamJay explained it perfectly above^^ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Spatializer shines with some sample pre-prep on the computer. You can do some DIY Haas effect processing on your computer. Then keep your sample in mono for a while and unleash the stereo version at the right point for more interest. You can also make an almost out of phase copy of a mono sample and put each copy on one side of a stereo channel and manipulate with Spatializer. Some bass samples have a lot of stereo which you may want to avoid with Spatializer. Just some ideas.

4 Likes

How would he know what effect or parameter he’s tweaking if he’s not supposed to read anything

3 Likes

…some people just want to missunderstand, no matter what…
…gimme a break, guys…

he is obviosly reading the manual…and when i say stop reading, start playing this is of course by no means saying stop reading the manual literally…
the focus is…u can read as much as u want…especially in the ot world, it only starts making sense, if u also start to play along at the same time…because as we all know, this manual only makes sense if u translate it into realtimeaction…
to wrap ur head around ot for real, there’s only step by step…
and the overall experience and learnig remains endless on this machine…
so many people who never read it…and so many people who read it too often without trying and figuring things out while reading…just to end up even more confused…
and no matter how often u read it, the real ot experience comes via learning by DOING…
and as mentioned already…i only wanted to encourage him to do so…

1 Like

…no further comment…we all have better things to do than getting lost in argueing against each other online…
don’t we…?

and we’re really reaching off topic level now…

1 Like

…no fixed rules…stop posting…start playing…

2 Likes

I usually start to play and mess around with knobs until i hit a wall or feel frustrated by not understanding in which conditions i should use which parameter or if i want to achieve something precise.
In these last cases i go to the manual.

When i still don’t get it, i ask people. The thread was not especially dedicated to Spatializer, that was one of the examples where i don’t understand one function. I used to have a H4n Pro recorder with this option of mid / side for the mics and i could really hear the differences. In the Spatializer i tried with stereo samples and if the Mid is « active », the SG don’t change nothing to the sound from my own experience. Mostly i would have wanted to widened some sounds, to push them on the sides so they can leave some space in the front stage.

The filter for instance is really praised and i found some nice tips in this thread: The OT Filter Is Awesome : Discuss Tips and i was calling for some other examples in context for all knd of Ot’s Fx, tsettingss you like to use for a special purpose.

2 Likes

Ahahah i’m really not one of them, actually for once i was reading the manual i was pretty proud of myself :wink:

An other question about the OT’s reverbs: which one do you use for which purpose? Maybe to soften some hi hats or for drones, leads…

1 Like

Dark Reverb is best very nice for all sorts of sounds. Plate is ok for hi-hats or other percussive / metallic short hits, spring I haven’t really found a use for yet.

Yes so far i’mmainly using dark reverb but i am sure there are some specific usesfor which the 2 other would be accurate.

Well yeah, plate works well for percussive elements.

Any settings to recommend for different percussive elements?

Off the top of my head, no. Spring reverb is good for snares I guess, but I dont really use it much personally.

Don’t be afraid to use a chorus on percussive elements, either. Especially if you have a free FX slot.
It has a very broad range of capability, more than your average roland-style chorus.

Sometimes the plate reverb just isn’t working out, even with very short decays, and the chorus ends up doing the trick.

2 Likes