OT Fx settings: tips in context

Which trick? I know chorus as a guitar FX but why/how do you use it for percussions? To give some « air »?

To give it some stereo width. Like a reverb but with a bit of phasing rather than reflections.

2 Likes

I was reluctant to use that FX as i am really not a big fan of chorus Fx on guitar for example but i shall try. I hope it’s usable to only widen a sound and not get this untuned sound of chorus FX.

I can’t remember keeping Spring in a slot after trying to make it work for something. Then again, @Unifono made nice use of it in the tracks/album he put on Bandcamp (in December IIRC). Similar story with flanger. I’m guess I’m impatient and think of post recording possibilities with plugins and my outboard FX. I like Plate a lot with subtle settings; bit of phaser on hats, comb can be wild, I try out using most, but with further processing in mind (focused on putting down tracks, not live at the mo). Sorry, no super tips here. I’d like to hear about cool tips and results from the flanger.

1 Like

I definitely love the plate reverb on percussive elements. Usually I have it set subtle (short decay, low mix setting (usually configured as send fx) with different plates on my hats, snares and other percussion. It can add that little extra magic sparkle. Nice to have a scene which takes the reverbs out of the mix and shortens the amp envelope for breaks.

Also plate on 303, 101 basslines and similar stuff.

Dark reverb on pads and stuff like that.

Flanger and phaser are used on percussion, pad sounds, leads etc. Very versatile. I usually have an lfo on my flanger (modulates delay) and phaser (modulates CNTR), tho. The stock modulation doesn’t do it for me.

4 Likes

Definitely, especially for sounds that move a bit, it adds a little something. I really like using it gated with a high decay on tight percussion, and in some cases will use a scene to open up the gate and let the reverb back in. It really livens up some patterns, especially if you have LFOs modulating the sound.

1 Like

I also don’t know the difference with Send or Mix. There is clearly a huge difference but how does it work? The manual states that one already know it…

The difference between send effect and an insert effect?

Insert effect means that the effect is inserted directly on the track, your signal goes into the effect and comes out. If the effect has a mix control or dry/wet knob, you can control how much effect you add.

A send effect works like this: you send a portion of your signal to another track (called the return track) and the effect is on this return track. The signal gets split between original (dry) signal and effect signal (wet). The send knob determines how much of the signal gets send to this effect on the return track.
Even if you turn the send all the way up, you still have the original signal + the effect signal.

Send effects are useful, because you can send several signals to, let’s say a reverb effect.
A little from the drums, some more from your synth pad etc. all through the same effect.

Octatrack doesn’t suddenly gain an extra track of course, but the signal flow is similar.
On the Octatrack the difference is that when you configure the reverb as insert fx and you turn the mix control all the way up, you have a 100% wet reverb signal, you only hear the reverb.

If configured as send and you turn the mix control all the way up, you still hear the original source and the effect.

4 Likes

Also Spatializer, Phaser, Flanger great on percussion/hats/noise etc.

2 Likes

Set rate lower and the tonal element is inaudible.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed and crystal clear explanation, i really appreciate. Now that’s concrete information!

Good to know!

Some terms are not obvious to me in the OT nomenclature. I would not know that Mix=insert or Rate=tone. I think they should definitely develop more on the manual. It might seem obvious for people use to electronic stuff but one’s path has to start somewhere :wink:

2 Likes

I can see how that can be confusing, especially as a beginner or for people not interested in the technicalities.

For instance, take an insert fx with a dry/wet knob in the digital world - you end up with a split signal path again. The dry/wet knob determines how much dry signal and how much effect signal. Kinda similar to a send/return configuration and both can give you the same results in certain situations.

It becomes clear if you look at analog mixing consoles and how channel inserts vs. aux sends work, how the signal flows.
Btw. the Mackie manuals explain that stuff very well. 1202 VLZ4 pdf manual for example.

For effect, the terminology also hasn’t changed much. Some modulation effects (=chorus, flanger and phaser) have a ‘rate’ knob, some have a ‘speed’ knob - both mean the rate or speed of the internal lfo.

If you’re looking for a crash course in effects terminology, any daw (which comes with a set of standard effects) manual should do.

2 Likes

Some people don’t like it but I usually keep Studio Mode on and a Flex Machine recording the Cue, and using the Cue on each channel as the send amount to create a Send channel.

You can use this as just a giant Neighbor or Master track, or use it to create live remixes and textures of the other tracks.

I’ve seen a similar method used to run hardware effects as well bu connecting them to the Cue outs, and you could probably use a mixer as well, but for me the internal routing usually does the trick.

3 Likes

Also allows feedback sending the track playing Cue recording to Cue.
Better fx than provided possible.

Studio mode or Normal mode. Just a mute / display difference.

1 Like

…adam jays hint to the chorus and the respose, is’nt that more common for guitars…

IS EXACTLY the perfect example for the whole discussion here and it’s origin…

there is simply no right or wrong and no traditional way to use this machine…to learn this machine…to discuss this machine…again and again and again…
every cult has is own good reasons…

personal tips are great…but only personal tips…while still and anyways each individual user defines all ranges in a different way again…
knowing each page of the manual can’t replace muscle memory and the will to experiment…

in any way, it always ends endless…so blast the ping!

which reminds me of this glory thread where the challenge was to use only the sound of the metronom from the ot to create a whole new track…again.

and sezare’s tips remain as usual the best of all…pretty much the only one who has almost seen it all when it comes to ot…but even he is “only” almost there… :wink:

and @blasted_pingin… apart from all fx, whenever ur read “parts” think “kits” and once ur done with reading the manual, read it again…and then read merlins guide…but never hesitate to skip all rules on ur sonic safari…it only just begun…have fun…

1 Like

A little bit of predelay on your reverbs can really help open them up. I usually have it set to 1 or 2, rarely above 5.

1 Like

@sezare56 has seen the light and it was black. Mk1 black. :heart: :elot:

1 Like

I use predelay mainly to not wash away the orignal sound with its reverberation.

2 Likes

This is interesting but i was more asking for how people make personal use of the OT’s FX in a certain context. I can understand the concept of speed of an LFO and still not see how to use it musically. I was thinking that exchanging FX settings could be interesting as I saw it in different threads.

I don’t really see why you keep on saying this. The point was to exchange ideas of how to use different FX for different purposes, maybe you also would learn something or get ideas you would not think about. I did notsay or ask for THE way to do things, that would be pretty boring.

Maybe that works for people coming from Ableton but for me Parts are pretty clear.

Merlin’s guide is nice but as there’s not only one way to approach things ( :wink: ) i read it when i bought the OT but i got more understanding by myself afterwards.

I was hoping to have a place of exchange, the thread was not concerning myself at first hand.

5 Likes

Just tried but… there’s no Rate knob :man_facepalming: