The OT Filter Is Awesome : Discuss Tips

just wanted to mention is all. very nice.

19 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, for a digital filter it sounds very nice.

4 Likes

Yep, big fan of digital filters for sampled based stuff where big screaming analogue isn’t appropriate. MPC3000 filter is still my favourite sounding filter ever, when most purists think it’s nothing special at all.

1 Like

Why?

Yes, a well designed digital filter with a musical slope is often what is needed, I’m surprised that there are not more digital filters that are not seeking to emulate an analog filters behaviour and playing to the strengths of digital, in actual fact it can often make the filter sound and feel quite analog/natural as I find that the OTs can in some situations.

I love wild analog filters like MS-20 etc they are like a chainsaw to the OTs scalpel though and definitely have their place, but I also like “well behaved” predictable filters like the 303 and Bugbrand SV filter, the SV filters in the A4 and Rytm are nice too, although I have to say I don’t like the LP in the A4, a bit dull I think, I’d have preferred another SV filter there instead.

I remember the dreadful filter Korg put in the MS-2000 the resonance sounded just like a sine wave cross-faded over the top, awful!

5 Likes

I have been having loads of fun with the OT lately. Really digging the workflow and capabilities.
One thing I cant seem to get right is the filter. I feel like i have to make large increments in the parameters to get an audible result.
Do you have any tips or tricks for sculpting the filter? Would love to hear them :heart:

Have you tried changing from 12db/octave to 24db/octave?

3 Likes

not yet lol!
something to look forwards to i guess although truth be told i usually prefer the sound of 12db/octave filters.

2 Likes

I mostly use it in a typical low pass configuration, so base between 0 and 15 or so, width around 50-60, Q around 60-70, then depth at max, attack at 0, decay between 20-45, leave filter setup parameters at default for now, and have a sample like a sawtooth or square bass, place out some trigs and p-lock some pitch changes, then just experiment with adjusting, width, depth and decay to give an idea of what values you want to plock for some nice squelchy bass. Once you get a better idea of how much you can do with those 3 parameters start experimenting with base and attack, be careful with Q as it can get a bit wild.

Then try different configurations both in the setup and by using samples with different pitches or more frequency content, white noise is good to figure out how the various parameters act. Have fun!

10 Likes

in response to Wouzer’s brief yet succinct question of “Why?”, this.

i was working with a lead bass sound from Zebra 1, it was a third party preset called “Screams Like a Mental Zebra” and the descriptive title was by no means inaccurate. Sound kind of oscillator or envelope relationship was making that sound go wild in a fairly controlled yet slightly brash fashion.

The OT filter could control and play with the looped sample in a very enjoyable way. It’s a powerful, subtle and musical filter, the adjustment of the Base, Width and Q settings bringing out many flavours and moods.

2 Likes

I agree 100%
Elektrons digital filters are among my favorites. Makes me very excited for Digitone.

2 Likes

Nothing To Add Except I agree, 12db/8va with resonance around 50 on L.P. only, and distortion around 10 is one of the mote musical digital filters I’ve used.

4 Likes

ok so I was gonna make a new post but what’s everyone’s favorite filters.

I’ve had it for two weeks and have only used the delay dark reverb Lofi compression and filter really.

I mean I know I gotta experiment but what are some of ur favorite go to combinations.

delay dark reverb Lofi compression and filter. :slight_smile:

I was quoting you but it’s not so far.
On master I just made something with
T7 Flex Cue Recording with Filter Delay
T8 Neighbor with Comp + Dark Reverb

2 Likes

Lo-fi + filter

2 Likes

Comb filter, filter, dark reverb, EQ, delay are what I tend to use most.

2 Likes

I think I already posted it elsewhere, but this is what I usually always use when I’m doing the aux send trick (which I almost always do since I started using it about a month ago - it really makes everything sound more “finished” to have one reverb as a send effect on the other 7 tracks)

FX1: spatializer
M/S on in setup menu, mids down about 10 and side up about the same
Depth and width on full, send at about half to start with but I usually turn it up most of the way
HP and LP usually end up roughly the same as their counterparts in Dark Reverb below, but I set them by ear so that varies a lot.

FX2: Dark reverb
PRE on the setup page set somewhere between 1 and 4 (helps keep transients an fast attacks sounding clear)
MIX at full wet
HP and LP set to about 50 and 100 respectively (as a very rough starting point, this always gets adjusted as the mix progresses)
SHVG up to maybe 20-30 and SHVF down in the 90-100 range (again, very rough starting points)

Using the spatializer to widen the stereo image and cut out some of the center in the dry signal before it hits the reverb really helps keep the mix sounding clear and detailed even when I add a fair amount of reverb with a long decay time, and I also find I need less reverb to achieve a similar sense of space compared to Dark Reverb on its own. It’s still not going to make me sell my BAM or anything but this combination sounds really good, on par with some pretty well loved VST reverbs I use a lot.

EDIT: swapping chorus or spatializer in a similar setup sounds good, too, if you’re after something thicker. It’s a different sound than modulated reverb like you’d hear in, say, a classic Lexicon or a Valhalla plugin something, but it works well.

13 Likes

what you mean for " aux send trick "?

Oops, I meant to link to it in the post, I’ll do that when I get home and am on a computer rather than a phone.

The short version is if you have a track recording and playing back at the same time and set the record source to Cue, you can use the per track cue level in studio mode as an aux.

2 Likes

I just used that aux send thing, in order to have a master delay and a master reverb.
Just 1 single cycle saw waveform, 6 audio tracks played by 6 midi tracks with arp.
Octatrack filters and fx only. I was fed up programming Blofeld !

13 Likes