OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

And again, I’m talking about generating that many tracks, but keep in mind that it’s only the number of patterns you could generate from 8 sets of 32 sub-patterns. It’s about having a fine-grain control over sequences. The BeatStep Pro implements that logic and it works very well.

But there’s so many banks of patterns available, do you really genuinely (and not just to support your argument) run out of patterns? I’m not even being patronising, it’s okay to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I’m not saying your proposed method is bad but you’re hitting a wall by expecting one device to behave like another. I don’t sit at my iPad and think why isn’t this doing what my laptop does. Try using different approaches for variation, one shot trigs, probability, fills, scenes etc. You’re ignoring the greatest part of the box wanting it to work differently

I don’t, but again, it’s not about the number of patterns but the way one could modify and combine smaller changes in an easier way than what’s currently available. To be honest I rarely use more than 3 patterns on my BeatStep Pro, but here’s a specific use-case to illustrate my point:

I have 2 tracks loaded with 2 different breaks. I tend to sequence the two breaks independently from the rest of my system. If I wanted to be able to re-use those independent sequences, I’d have to store them in patterns that would affect the whole system, so there’s no way to re-use those small patterns without changing the whole thing.

An option would be to record them and I agree on that, but then I can’t change the effects and parameters in the future. I could record unfiltered breaks beforehand, use them and change the effect settings live, but in that case if I want to spontaneously add a variation during my performance then I’m screwed.

With per-track patterns, I could prepare tons of sequences for each track, play with them live and introduce variations more easily without breaking anything else.

I agree on that, however your iPad’s functionality can be increased by external software, which is not the case for the OT, which leaves me with two options:

• Using Ableton instead, saying goodbye to the scenes and the OT’s fantastic ergonomics for anything else than per-track variations
  • Requesting that feature that shouldn’t be that hard to implement, and if Elektron themselves tell me they’re not working on OT updates then… At least I’d have tried my best ¯\(ツ)

Record it dry, set it on a track and then spontaneously add FX using scenes. Problem solved with finer control no? Bit of practice and you’ll be live chopping and resequencing. Anyway Elektron have publicly confirmed that they are not working on updates for octatrack any more. This thread is for pipedreams, which is fun, but I wouldn’t hold your breath when there’s methods already available

1 Like

tbh if I could sign a contract to implement that feature myself under their own terms instead, I’d do it

I think this thread is a bit like this (it’s free).

Buying machines as they were since 30 years I’m not use to ask manufacturers to change their products. IMHO, reasonable changes can be heard with the link below, but I don’t know why they’d change OT structure, unless it matches better other Elektron gear (BPM per Pattern for example, new addition to A4/AR). They added trig conditions. Wasn’t it @darenager’s feature request for A4/AR initially ? Please tell us the story…

feature-request@elektron.se

5 Likes

It was actually for Octatrack initially, in 2011 back in the beta days, quite a few of them were implemented including slice number locks and crossfader modulation of slices, also quite a few of my FR on Monomachine and A4 too were implemented.

I think if they are feasible and possible in many cases they get implemented - and obviously all of mine were not sensible/feasible.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the old forum to prove no BS :wink:

15 Likes

Holy shit, well a big big thank you to you :thup:

4 Likes

Ha, well I only asked for them, the easy part, Elektron did the hard part :wink:

4 Likes

An octatrack with heaps more inputs and overbridge would be a nice feature

Hardware related, wrong topic, beware ! :joy:

@darenager’s “meme”.

6 Likes

Haha :joy: , don’t go there…
That would be good for an Octatrack 2.0.
An actual request would be more parts

1 Like

Wow… As a latecomer to the OT (2016) I didn’t realise that there was a time when valuable features like that weren’t available! The only thing I recall that’s been added to the OT in my time is the Trig Conditions, which was a really pleasant surprise!

At first there wasn’t a manual either! It came with a quickstart guide though, but it sure was nice when the first full manual became available.

5 Likes

Just got this response from Elektron, when asking if any new firmwares are in the pipeline.

Pretty much echoes what’s already in this thread, except for a little bit of hope. “You never know” :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Supposedly there’s at least a bugfix planned…

2 Likes

(Could be applied to all…)

The ability to randomize and set the depth of randomization +/- , on trigs that have micro-timing enabled. To ‘humanize’ a little more.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not ideal but did you try with 100% wet delay (SETUP DIR=0)and rdm lfo on short delay times? (fixed negative microtiming).

2 Likes

Ya, that doesn’t match the request tho.

What I’m saying is that on each loop the micro-timing would be randomized +/- by a value set. So let’s say +/- 1/128 each loop on that step. Shifty like a real drummer. Off +/- by only the slightest bit. But not by the same amount every time.

Anyways, just a request. An idea that popped in. Not “needed”.

That’d be an interesting implementation. I’d also love a Control All Chance like Model:Sample!

Maybe you misunderstood, maybe I missed something, but I think it totally does. It uses an lfo and an Fx though.

Negative microtiming, compensating a short delay, 100% wet, no feedback (Tape off?).
RDM LFO (Hold) on delay time, done.

1 Like