OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

Yeah, exactly what I was after in the OTmkII, the much praised step sequencer, parameter grouping w/ slider, top-tier audio quality (hopefully), alongside its exellent sheer linear front panel layout (if a bit too simplistic perhaps). Beautiful industrial grey steel hull only adds to the crave (the heavier, the better), almost as cruel and heavy as my genre. Almost.

1 Like

you should wait for octatrack mk3 :wink:

there are rumors it’s coming soon…

:sob::sob::sob:

What’s so difficult to understand there? Samples only, all my own, some long loops, and step sequencing beyond probalby beyond you (sorry). Need to find a new centerpiece for existing stuff. Need to reproduce copyrighted audio accurately, whilst keeping it safe & flex for performance.

Would be keen myself, although I hope it won’t just be another DAW-in-a-box as per current fashion.

Besides, rumours are that OTmk3 comes out exactly on the same day as the Korg ESX3 does. Informed sources have also confirmed that they’ll still just be DJ toys w/ 64 step patterns, and a customer base gravitating around DB-ts-BD-ts-BD-ts-DB-ts… oh wait, I just used up 32 steps in 1:1 resolution tempo-ed 4/4, HALF of what the OTmk2, the “swiss knife” of the most imaginative sequencing pros can do. Damn, I must be a musician by virtue of those 32 steps alone.

Sure, but given your extensive list of ‘grave’ limitations I really don’t think that you are going to find something that satisfies your particular requirements, certainly not each and every one.

256 patterns per project is quite a lot, imo at least. 128 flex samples (and 128 static, so 256 in total) per project is also something that I never really had too much of an issue with when I had an OT, but one way of overcoming this is using sample chains. The RAM limitations are frustrating, and are one of the reasons that I was quite happy to get rid of my last OT and haven’t looked back since, but it is worth remembering that it is a mature machine, and the RAM specs kind of reflect what probably would have been perfectly acceptable 13 years ago.

This, and that 256 patterns per project would be a problem for you, and the issues with the RAM limitations, and the seemingly large scope of your projects, are why I think what would suit your needs best would be either a DAW/Max (certainly a computer) as it sounds like the scope of whatever it is you’re working with would just be unruly and a total headache to try and work with on hardware

1 Like

Look into conditional locks, retriggers, and micro timing.

pattern reload.

and while you’re at it… ctrl all. for the buzz. but mostly pattern reload :wink:

2 Likes

So you don’t want an Octatrack?

I’m confused.

1 Like

I want an OT to be able to do what I want / need, and at £1,400 or so, I think I’d reasonably expect to persevere fruitfully. Was just sarcastic about the rest / still trying to figure if I can make it work. Also nothing wrong with BD-ts-BD-ts, there are some good ones incl. actual musicians with live acts. Problem is when it’s suggested that nothing else can possibly exist.

So far, it’s seems it’s barely more than a better sounding (?) Korg ESX with only modestly improved capacity, some great features alright (really want that paramter grouping slider), but one also ruined by over-organisation by virtue of matrioshka enforcement, which the ESX does not do btw. Patterns, parts, done. I am still hoping I can prove myself wrong & grab an OTmkII.

Price is irrelevant, either it does what you need or it doesn’t (and it sounds to me like it doesn’t).

This comment suggests more research needs to be done.

3 Likes

Both true, indeed:
Doing what I need is what I am trying to find out (price improves likeliness through quality & effort invested).
Part of research is asking around in these forums.

Yeah, it just sounds to me like there’s a mixture of too many potential dealbreakers and expectations that just can’t be met.

I’m gonna say it’s probably not for you.

I agree with @christianlukegates, building something in Max and using a couple of controllers might be your best bet.

3 Likes

Do what most people do: buy it and if you don’t like it then sell it. No amount of questioning will truly satisfy you. Why would you accept anyone else’s opinion or validation? Just buy it, spend some days with it and then come back and and tell us all how shit it sounds. You won’t be the first or last!

1 Like

…don’t get me wrong…as mentioned, xactly for such basic purposes, there is no other hw/non computer thing/device/intrument out there to find that can let u do this…
so start to think outside of the box and work beyond and with it’s obvious limitations, to find out that ot can do ALL that, but won’t check all ur upfront whishlist in the way u think right now…

Wouldn’t it be just lovely if we’d have a new trig mode option for… wait for it…. Waaait:

Instant pattern switching!

:fireworks: :partying_face:

But it’s been wayyy too quiet lately when it comes to updates…

I was thinking about the lack of a gate again, and someone way back in 2013 already mentioned it in this thread but a toggle switch in the second page of the compressor to turn it into an expander/gate would be a really nice addition. There’s some musical effects that I’d like to be able to try that just aren’t possible without some kind of gate.

1 Like

I have really been wanting a noise gate on the crossfader. Would be really great for turning breaks into really staccato chopped versions of themselves.

1 Like

One example of use of gate that I’m thinking of is here in one of the sounds in this track by the late great Ryuichi Sakamoto -

Would love to be able do that with samples in the OT.

3 Likes

The stuttering effect of gate being triggered on and off at its threshold could be faked a bit with custom LFO?