OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

Thanks I’ll definitely give that a try, though I’m not sure if it’ll work for me with what I’m trying. I’ll pop Elektron a feature request for it anyway, as I would hope it would be relatively easy for them to add an option in the personalisation menu. It’s another one of these things that seems a little obvious to have an option for, and it would be less confusing for newbies wondering why their freshly recorded sounds sound a bit weird.

1 Like

I could really use an option for “autosave every recorded buffer” and also “auto assign it to next free static slot”.

3 Likes

It is possible to keep original tempo with a defined recording length (RLEN = 1-64).

2 Likes

A toggle mode for Function is still my #1 wish that hasn’t been fulfilled already.

1 Like

I planned to solder a switch. Not sure to do it…:wink:

I guess if you were really committed you could swap in a toggling switch for the momentary one and wouldn’t ahve to mod the case at all.

I keep forgetting to try the magnet trick someone mentioned in here last time I brought it up, I even have plenty of little neodyniums with plastic handles on the fridge alread, all I have to do is remember to stick one on the OT so it will be there when I need it.

1 Like

Slice grid feature request:

Ability to dial in the number of desired slices.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s ever been asked but a PTN change lock functionality where I double-tap (for example) FUNC+PTN and all the patterns stay lit and I can trigger them with one finger without having to hit PTN every time before choosing the next pattern.

1 Like

Gimme Lazy Chop!!!
Surely the OT is capable of doing this…

2 Likes

I am not against it, but lazy chop is a sure way to miss all the opportunities you could discover between the transients, by just listening. And because of automation a lot of producers may end up with the same detected loops, one shots, and ideas.

Yep, something simple like pressing YES in the AED for each slice during playback.

I think you might be mistaking lazy chop with auto slicing on transients. If my understanding is correct lazy chopping is a method of slicing by pressing a button while the sample is playing, so you can quickly make multiple slices at different points, then fine tune them later.

2 Likes

I wasn’t clear enough, so it was confusing. I was thinking both (lazy chop and auto slicing) that even with the lazy chop on, while you decide when a loop starts and you move on to the next cut, you may end up making the same choices as other producers. That’s the nature of the game. Early sampling technology forced producers to be very careful and very creative with the little they had.
I find it soothing to keep some spaces within my samples. Maybe the snare is not as tight, it’s late. That’s OK because I can adjust it after, or not.
Sorry for the confusion :robot:

Yeah or just the keys below. It’s fun and instrument-y.

Also perfect when you do not want to manually slice an entire sample, but dislike the slice grid.

Does anyone else wish the amp envelope actually worked with NEI tracks?

ATK HOLD REL VOL BAL are all just there but do nothing… AMP Page two’s settings for FX1 and FX2 envelopes are the only active controls in the AMP pages of neighbour machines.

WHY?

-I want to use those AMP envelopes on NEI tracks.
-I want to use VOL as an LFO destination for side chain.

Racked my brains and for the life of me cant understand why they’re limited like this.

ALSO… AN ACTUAL FEATURE REQUEST

SEND Machines: SRC knobs are send levels from 6 other tracks to wet fx in the fx blocks of the SEND Machine track. I guess which tracks exactly could be defined in SRC page 2.

I often wish I could put sounds on my OT into a “room” together or rock some dub delays without sacrificing my CUE outs and needing to use studio mode. Yeah its great having individual fx for each track BUT theres a reason we have fx sends on so many mixers, synths, drum machines… They’re like a rug that ties the room together.

3 Likes

Yes. Btw Amp page shouldn’t be displayed on Neighbors. (No Amp page on Master track)

But there is a workaround to use Amp (and SRC) parameters : use a recorder (SRC3 = Tx) and a Flex. I usually use rec trigs each 2 steps, same on the Flex.

Depends how you use CUE outs. You can use CUE for fx send/return internally, with a Flex recording CUE.

You can do exactly the same things with Normal and Studio mode. The only differences are linked mutes, and display.

+1 for a Send/Return machine.

1 Like

True! on 2nd page of AMP on a master track theres only the env options for FX1 and FX2… changing that on NEI tracks would at least save a whole lot of head scratching when the AMP controls on the NEI track have no effect.

Yeah I’ve also used the “flex as thru(/neighbour)” trick, for this but its hacky and sometimes causes issues for me… theres already a lot to keep in mind and configure with the OT I’d rather just have neighbour tracks do the work. I still dream of fully functional NEI tracks, and I feel like if they havent removed those knobs by now it might still happen.

I like to use my CUE outs for… cue monitoring with headphones! I feel like a Performance Sampler needs CUE out in a live situation! But yes, I have been using them as an FX send internally with the “flex as thru” trick or out to a external fx and back in via inputs… its a lot of resources that a Send/Return machine could take over from with a single track.

Thanks for the reply man I already feel less alone in my struggle.

2 Likes

I would really love to have a row condition feature for the arranger. What I mean is a new row type to coincide with the other row logic available. Currently we have hold, jump and loop, I would like to have “condition”, which lets us jump to another row depending on the chosen condition settings.

I.e. “condition first 001” will jump to 001 if this is the first time the condition row is reached, any subsequent times it will skip to the next row.
Or, “condition 10% 007” has a 10% chance of jumping to row 7.

I guess what I’m requesting is for trig condition style behaviour but in the arranger. It will open up a hell of a lot of interesting compositions.

While we’re at it let’s just make the arranger mode Turing complete please :wink:

2 Likes

Some sort of mode for set perimeters to be controlled by EXT midi ONLY

So that when you change to a new PART or bank, anything that you have mapped to a midi controller doesn’t jump to a new value, but stays where your midi controller is set to.

By mentioning a few observed critical limitations below, I am hoping for Elektron to consider, or perhaps may some of you with much experience already have tricks to circumvent some of them? If so, and you could share, I’d be utmost grateful - I really, really want to make it work, transcoding all my 100% sample projects accurately reproduced, but kept safe yet flexible for performance.

I love how the OctaTrack mkII is laid out, need some of its features badly (parameter grouping & scene slider I’ve been craving for ages), and even have an uncanny attraction towards its preferably destroyer grey steel hull which I would want to touch occasionally, even if powered down. However, I simply couldn’t (re)deploy my projects or use it porperly due to these, it seems:

FORCED OVER-ORGANISATION

128 flex samples 256 patterns are far from comfortably generous, but workable if I could just use them freely. However, the OctaTrack enforces a matrioshka structure that is not only limiting its quantitative capacity further, but are structurally debilitating, and a significant organisational & menu diving overhead in addition. As per guide & manual, there doesn’t seem to be a way out of this:

I’d like to & need to do the following (to accurately reproduce existing projects while maintaining their performability), but perhaps it is possible / could those knowing it inside-out advise?

FORCED LINKING OF PATTERNS TO PARTS

I think this is the big one here, and the reason why I probably won’t be able to dispose of some inner matrioshka layers to allow for freedom of movement. Music is a temporal structure primarily, yet the Octatrack has parts owning their patterns (in fairly lmited numbers, if organised this way), instead of patterns owning their parts. I’d desperately need the latter to take advantage of an otherwise allegedly great sequencer.

OTHER QUANTITATIVE LIMITATIONS

64 steps only in any given pattern. I’d need 128 at least, or widespread use of fractional step sequencing, but that’d already make it cumbersome to manipulate in realtime. 64 steps max. is a fairly primitive theme, come on.

85.5MB total flex sample memory (in a set). Okay this is actually usable, and probalby won’t ever change I realise, but considering in conjunction with a limit of 128 flex samples max. per project, let me put this into a perspective of modern uncompressed audio formats:

• 484.7 sec total (44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo) ~ 128x 3.78s samples on avg. maxing both: quality barely above “lo-fi”, but usable total capacity (128 flex samples max can still be limiting for some)
  • 222.7 sec total (96.0 kHz 16 bit stereo) ~ 128x 1.74s samples on avg. maxing both: quality that’d make most engineering & hence production sense, total sample time already quite limiting here
  • 148.4 sec total (96.0 kHz 24 bit stereo) ~ 128x 1.16s samples on avg. maxing both: quality standard for mastering (don’t see the point of 24 bit, but still), have to be very careful juggling tight now
  • 74.2 sec total (192.0 kHz 24 bit stereo) ~ 128x 0.58s samples on avg. maxing both: quality ceiling of most modern CODECs (top notch & maybe overkill, but still), downright ridiculous, barely over just a minute?!

FORCED AUTOSAVE

Discussed a thousands times I am sure, but in a nutshell, I cannot afford patterns and parts not to be able to allow to automatically reset to their actual manually saved state, immediately after tweaked away and left. I also find the whole autosave a bit problematic, it is yet again encouraging the abandonment of all personal responsibility that ultimate erodes our freedoms. Might even use it sometimes, as lng as it only saves to volatrile memory, when jumping in between patterns to listen & compare during production (production only). Not being able to disable this completely (as in, have a theme carefull designed and saved, tweak about, move on to another theme, come back to the previous, and not find the EXACT carefully designed and saved theme without any other action required), is massively limiting. Nice as an option. Having said that, maybe an auto-reload option could circumvent this (as in: switch auto-reload on = all in any theme played automatically returns to last explicitly saved state once left, incl. playing anything else during perfomance, no menu diving or buttoning req’d whilst busy tweaking the next theme - which will also need to return to saved automatically, once left behind).

1 Like