OT as CBA Blooper/Habit

Hello guys. Being in the ChaseBliss hole since a week (when I first got MOOD MKII). So I started to love this happy accidents (micro)sampling moments…then I want more. And I stuck my ears on Blooper and Habit. So to have more sampling (let’s say). I firmly believe I can get the same “behaviour” within Octatrack. Maybe not the vibe and tone, but at least the weird and complex sampling side.
Mainly now I’m looking to recreate the layers thing in Blooper.
I just opened this Pandora’s box and I started wrapping my head around this. But too much hype on the CBA pedals that I can loose on lucidity…
Any suggestion is welcome, please!
Thanks a lot
d^_^b

P.S. of course welcomed also the use of external switch/controllers to achieve that

1 Like

I’d use resampling with feedback (CUE recording, a Flex with higher pitch, reverse). 2 or 3 recorders.

Destructive loops with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds. Lower CUE send, for loop decay.

With Timestretch (hence pitch shift)

From
Destructive looping with Octatrack - #45 by sezare56

/////////////////////////////////////////////

T1 > Drum loop CUE send
T2 > CUE rec, CUE play, CUE send, plocked pitches, filter, delay
T3 > Neighbor, 2 comb filters, CUE send

From
Octatrack as Rainmaker - #14 by sezare56

10 Likes

Great thread and look forward to seeing what others might offer in creative solutions to get close.
I was considering a similar notion when the Habit was announced…replicating the always-listening aspect, 3-minute timer etc, even getting more control. I thought starting with a Pickup Machine with large value against QPL might be a starting point…could have other Flex Machines play that associated recording buffer to interesting effect…neighbour tracks and LFOs helping push towards modifiers.

A fun project to go after no matter how close you get! I do like the idea of a project set up to behave like this (maybe multiple parts to emulate different pedals/functions/states). All in stereo too, woo!

2 Likes

What are requirements ?
(Pitch range, loop length, reverse, “Additive”…etc)

Additive is just fine! Also would be cool to get access to overdubs iterations. In Blooper you have this sort of undo/redo where every superimposed layer still has the undergoing sounds from previous dub. You can remove one layer at a time but you can’t have isolated layer if it’s not the first recording pass.

Then I really like reverse or slowed down/pitched down things

I really have to put my consciousness on this. Been ages since used OT, I woke it up and asked for a new Battery. So I did. Then back on it…blank canvas to put some effort on.
So far I started this way:
T1>T8 all Flex with their own buffer; RLEN 64 QREC PLEN; QPL PLEN; SRC3 MAIN
Two scenes to move level between FLEX and DIRECT from Mixer.
I can record 8 layers with opportunity to decide record MAIN so I can emulate an additive behaviour. Otherwise I get direct AB input recording.
Next step could be to put a rec trig for T8 as MAIN recording just to get access on the very last thing done. Of course I would need a oneshot rec trig (?)

1 Like

Or T8+REC3 (MIDI button for MKI)

How would you play/stop your recordings ? Plays Free tracks ?

I have a trick to undo recordings :
Pattern 1 : T1 rec trig, recording MAIN (DIR AB maxed)

Pattern 2 : T1 Flex plays Recording 1, T2 Rec trig, recording MAIN

Pattern 3 : T2 Flex plays Recording 2, T3 rec trig recording MAIN
Etc.

This way you can record modulations, undo and go back to previous recordings.

2 Likes

so far im starting/stopping recording manually. I’m just playing around with some drones and pads from MOOD. I could go PlaysFree either…but I have to recollect memories around this function…ehm

1 Like

I know it’s lazy because you should learn by doing but for quickly trying things like this I’d love it if there was an archive of project files. Is there one I’ve missed?

Not sure. But I’ll upload a project as soon as I got two/three parts to get started with. Wanna get it using flex in one part and pickups in another.
Then I’ll try to implement a third one using patterns technique as Sezare pointed out

2 Likes

Beware, REC SETUP and other part settings may be not updated by a new part with Pickups, as there are no trigs to recall new part setttings. (I can’t tell you exactly, but this is something to check if you have unexpected behavior).

A cool thing with part change is that you can overdub with Pickups, then change to a Flex using the same recording buffer.

You can overdub with Flex though.

3 Likes

yeah, yesterday was just with FLEX. Today (maybe really tomorrow) I’ll try PICKUP, just because I never used them…ever. So, it’s the right moment now!

1 Like

Beware of tempo changes.
Tempo have to be between in 80 - 160 bpm range (not exact values, length have to be a power of 2 value (1, 2, 4, 8 etc).
Without a defined length, it can be nightmarish, as timestretch can’t be disabled.
Btw pitch shift only.

1 Like

Yes! That part switch between Pickup and Flex, retaining what’s in the buffer, feels like a low-key superpower I’d like to make more of.

1 Like