Open Challenge #6 SUBMISSIONS NOW CLOSED

will have a submission, working on it right now (well, not RIGHT now, but…)

1 Like

Well, its Jan 31st here in the land of Oz.

I’ll give it another day or two incase @ViolentMeals uploads something then close the challenge.

Maybe it wasnt very interesting? Maybe it got lost in the noise of xmas/post xmas, maybe everyone went jamuarying instead?

Or maybe we found the Ultimate Challenge for elektronauts? take away the p-locks and … not much happened…

So far only 2 submissions. So I dunno if people want to vote a winner or just forget this one and move on?

@Fin25
@Claid
@DimensionsTomorrow

Etc

Shit, completely forgot about this one.

Give me 24 hours…

2 Likes

Sorry. I’m going to have to pass on this one for scheduling reasons. Apologies!

Haven’t forgotten, definitely submitting before deadline. Had a few days away from home, back now. :slight_smile:

Edit: oops, I thought this was the hip hop challenge. I’ve tried to come up with something for this challenge a couple of times but wasn’t happy with the results… Will attempt to get something out by the end of the day.

1 Like

I’m super bummed out on my thing, but I may post it up anyhow. Didn’t realize my idea like I wanted to and burned out listening to it again and again. Just gotta make it through the work day, then we will see what we see

1 Like

Yeah I’m feeling the same, enjoyed making it at first but upon reflection it was super repetitive. I mapped my MIDI Fighter Twister to a bunch of effects to spice things up and it still sounded boring. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recorded a three minute take of me playing drum set and fed it to OT on a static track with a flex set up to resample it and fuck with it. The major take away from it was that I can record the drums live with my tascam dr-05X and it sounds pretty good after some EQ and compression in OT.
For some reason I’d never done that before.

1 Like

Ahem… flex machines cannot record anything, cannot resample.
Track recorders , do all the sampling.

Flex machines just play samples, from RAM and have a deeper audio editor than static machines.

Pedantic I know. But its an insight that can unlock a deeper level of octafiddling.

8 track recorders available all the time, regardless of what the other 8 audio tracks, and 8 midi tracks are doing. Octatrack has 24 tracks…

Anyway. Post your beats :slight_smile:

(I was going to record some live drums too, but went for the lazy option and used my drum machine)

2 Likes

Preaching to the choir here, @Microtribe.
This is a thing I understand well, just used the wrong words. Flex setup for playback/fucking with…not recording.
But that always good knowledge to pass on. Coming to grips with that structure does, indeed, unlock a deeper level of understanding the machine.

1 Like

Thanks for participating.
I would have liked to have heard some random LFO to reverb decay on the Sleighbell.

Also was waiting for the beat choppage to kick in. Might have been nice to slice the break up, assign to say 6 tracks, finger drum a beat in, then apply crossfader to slice on all tracks (or random LFO?)

This challenge seems simple but it really isnt huh?

1 Like

Sorry folks,

Spent about 3 hours last night trying to come up with something, nothing doing.

Having some pretty serious writer’s block at the minute, can’t seem to come up with any ideas for anything right now.

3 Likes

Hard to follow microtribe’s impression of an afx Christmas jingle

Think it’s easier to make a track if one first refrains from listening to any submissions

1 Like

Do youse want an extension or shall we call it done?

1 Like

I just stumbled upon this challenge, Im sampling a sleigh bell as I type this. Gimme like an hour

2 Likes

New Deadline March 1st.
Bonus points for hats still apply…

@Claid, @Fin25, @CountedSorrow @DimensionsTomorrow @any one thats interested…

Still time to join in.

4 Likes

I might give this a go with the new SP404.

Still a bit unclear on the rules. There’s no automation on the SP, so as long as it’s drum samples, anything counts?

Not quite.
As long as there’s a sleigh bell in your drum pattern.

Correct, no automation allowed. But Random LFO is allowed.

2 Likes

Good thing about the deadline because what I just made was total crap. :smile:
I thought I saw something somewhere in the thread about percussive or noise loops, are those allowed? If not, then where is the line drawn? Is there a sample size limit? I haven’t seen anything said about envelopes either.

The challenge I am putting on myself is to not run a sequencer at all and play in the whole performance, so being able to use a loop would help a lot. If it’s a loop of my own creation that doesn’t use automation and I resample and chop it up, that’s fair right?

2 Likes

Deadline extended! Can I rework my entry? If not that’s fine, rules are rules. That way I can get on with other things, but given the chance I would submit a better take than that piece of crap I posted under deadline last night…

1 Like