Open Challenge #14: Title Redacted

Edited the OP to include some quotation marks around the word drummers. In the name of creative interpretation, i would like to leave that pretty wide open.
Drum battles were the inspiration, but that definition can be taken where you want it to go.
Cheers

1 Like

Got some ideas for this. Just need to find time to put them down.

1 Like

i feel you there.
Im a ways out from even thinking about a deadline, you have time.

1 Like

Alright, ive got a very busy couple of weeks ahead of me with work, but lets set the deadline for JUne 10th of this great year, 2023.
i have another part to write yet, but i will try and get my song up sooner than later.
Hope alls well out there for ya…

1 Like

Still time to get involved with this one, folks!
June 10th deadline. Make some music, post it here.
Then I will need someones help making one of those pie chart things for the voting, provided there are submissions…
Im well into mine, having had a very clear vision of what i wanted to do, which was a first in a long time.
Its been a pretty heavy allergy season for me, and one of the wonderful things that middle age has brought along with it is that my hearing goes to absolute shit when my allergies flare up. Tinnitus to the next level, head under water, ears on an airplane stuff.
Im kinda struggling, and making music is frustrating and kind of unpleasant. But i am trying to soldier on and complete this thing for the challenge, for you, dear listeners…and to see this idea through.
:vulcan_salute: :cloud_with_lightning: :metal: :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Okay, heres my entry…
For my two “drummers” i used the accapella version of the Human League song and sampled the male and female voices, with either one being the sound source for a “drum kit”. Each voice gets their 8 bars, with the female voice getting an extra 4 because i fucked up the pattern change.
I had fun with this one. I had always wanted to do something with the vocal parts, and now i can say i did, at least.
Looking forward to seeing what else pops up!
One week left until deadline and then we can move on to something else.

5 Likes

Ok Ive got an unexpected afternoon free. So im going to have a crack at this.

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna give it a go the next few days, see what I can pound out :metal:t2:

1 Like

In theory it could be a brief intro, with bass melodies whatever, and 2 drummers.
Then it could break into an 8bar drum solo for one drummer, then another 8bars for the other drummer, and they can have some call and response during this.
Then all “the band” comes back in and they wrap it up.

Does that sound about right?

Short answer: Absolutely

I will elaborate in a sec, once I’m done with some clean up.

Edit: So, yes, the composition you suggested, @bodymechanics, would absolutely tick all the boxes. It can also be way more off the path than that.
For example, in my piece i made, i used chopped and resampled vocals to make a “drum kit” with each “drummer” being the voice of the male singer and the female singer, respectively.
THe “drum kits” not only did not sound like drums at all, they kind of took over the roles of a bass, a trumpet, strange laughter noises, etc…
I used a chopped drum sample throughout but really to kind of trick the listener into looking for the “drum solo” in a place it was never going to happen.
So, you can get pretty out there with it if you should choose to do so.
The important part being that your two distinct voices (drum sets) are played by different “drummers” (source material/instrument) and that each solo is 8 bars in length in total. you could split it up as you see fit, but long phrases are encouraged.
hope that serves you …
T

1 Like

Nothing but a stinky vaguely musical turd eminating from my octatrack today. Just wasnt happening.

That shit happens.

1 Like

I’m in this FOR SURE now.
Worked up some stuff this evening.
See if I can plow through it in 5 days :crazy_face:

I’m rooting for everyone :partying_face:

1 Like

So we can submit our tracks June 10th correct?

All day long

1 Like

Perfect that gives me tonight and tomorrow night to finish up :metal:t2:

We’ll say cut off is at midnight Pacfic Standard.
I believe in you people.

The clock ticks… doom is ever nearer.

A little under 36 hours to get submissions in.
So far, myself excluded as I won the last one and I’m removed from the voting pool, we have zero submissions.
I’m not opposed to presiding over the Open Challenge when it died from lack of participation, but that would be a shame…

2 Likes

I would join but have to work all weekend and don’t have the time.

Great idea though, good luck everyone