Open Battle #4 - Mix first, ask questions later(ed)

Pretty much!
I think its more a challenge for the people that mix post recording. Or who get stuck some where and cant finish a track. (What ever that means. Its finished when you say it is)

For the people that already work that way eg: record a live stereo mix and if its good its good, yeah… turn your reverbs off.

3 Likes

I loved this track you put up for the Mars challenge…
I had wanted to go a very different route, with comic book influences and all that, and you just kind of quietly destroyed all that with this very subdued track that, i felt, captured the isolation of the droid very well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll admit it’s not much of a challenge for some people.

But that just means your track should be much better than everyone else’s.

2 Likes

Lets not get too carried away, shall we?
I was about to follow suit from these other guys and post the thing i didnt post for the last hip hop battle because i got too drunk on wine and fell asleep and missed the deadline, but now that youve lit a fire under my ass i guess i have to really bring the stuff.
What are we looking at as far as a deadline goes, sir?

1 Like

End of the month, but you know how these things go…

1 Like

blasphemy

1 Like

Well then cleanse yourself by recording all your samples in a church.

5 Likes

Ok ok :slightly_smiling_face:
Next time, no sounds, only reverb

6 Likes

What’s the Mars challenge?

It’s a little bit like Blue Petering, but messier.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Ffs :laughing: laying in bed at 5:30 in the morning and almost woke the wife and kid :joy:

1 Like

Dave was saving that Mars bar aswell. Our Mandy’s got some nerve.

2 Likes

I’m in.

1 Like

No verb? Man that s just mean.

Lets see what s left of this track here without…

3 Likes

Here you go:

Confessions:

1. I considered cheating and leave my H9 MangledVerb on because it so doesn’t sound like a plain verb but then I didn’t coz I was given the totem name Honest Duck in boy scouts. Not kidding.
  2. I’ve been trying to nail a live recording of this track for several days already before I saw this battle thread. Still struggling to get a (near) perfect (or at least good enough) take. This is a new take without verbs.
22 Likes

Banging.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty damn fine to me. Not once did I think, ‘if only it had some reverb’.
Nice usw of 909 cymbal, I was hoping it would happen, and it did.
Solid.

4 Likes

Shit, thats really good…
Back to the drawing board for me, I suppose…
Well done

2 Likes

Can’t wait to take a listen. If what I’m reading is right and you already know I love your sound then BOOYA!!! This should be right up my street.

I too, was in the same boat thinking no verb… really???…. But You’ve done it. Not only that but you’ve provided me with that bit of fire I needed to get started.

Cheers @dtr

1 Like